Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding on Goal Weight

Hi Everyone.

I don't post very much here which may explain my long stall.

I am coming up towards my first year surgery anniversary which is a time of reckoning and stocktaking.

I started out at a weight of 213 lbs and lost 50 lbs in the first 6 months and then I hit a stall. Lately I have been just living life and not really thinking about my sleeve at all and maintained my weight without any effort or without any further weight loss .My body or my lifestyle seems to like this weight.

I am now at 164 lbs with a BMI of 27.

I still have a lot of weight around my middle which I would like to lose

I was initially hoping to get to 140 lbs.

I am getting motivated again to tidy up my act and to get back to planning what I eat and taking account of what I eat. I know what to do...I just have to start doing it.

Now, I have a load of questions and would love your opinions on any or all of my concerns.

The first question is how did you all decide on what your goal weight would be?

Is there anyone out there that stalled for as long as I have and then resumed their weight loss successfully?

Is there any statistics on weight loss percentages for the second year?

Is it usual to continue to lose weight in year 2 or 3?

I know I need to focus and get motivated again so I would appreciate any help you can give.

Looking forward to all comments.

Bookleen

Hi Everyone.

I don't post very much here which may explain my long stall.

I am coming up towards my first year surgery anniversary which is a time of reckoning and stocktaking.

I started out at a weight of 213 lbs and lost 50 lbs in the first 6 months and then I hit a stall. Lately I have been just living life and not really thinking about my sleeve at all and maintained my weight without any effort or without any further weight loss .My body or my lifestyle seems to like this weight.

I am now at 164 lbs with a BMI of 27.

I still have a lot of weight around my middle which I would like to lose

I was initially hoping to get to 140 lbs.

I am getting motivated again to tidy up my act and to get back to planning what I eat and taking account of what I eat. I know what to do...I just have to start doing it.

Now, I have a load of questions and would love your opinions on any or all of my concerns.

The first question is how did you all decide on what your goal weight would be?

Is there anyone out there that stalled for as long as I have and then resumed their weight loss successfully?

Is there any statistics on weight loss percentages for the second year?

Is it usual to continue to lose weight in year 2 or 3?

I know I need to focus and get motivated again so I would appreciate any help you can give.

Looking forward to all comments.

Bookleen

Hiya Bookleen,

This is an intersting thread.

I am just over 9 1/2mths out and just had meeting with my surgeon and we discussed your questions... he said that it is possible to continue weight loss into year 2 but it gets harder and I would have to 'work' at it... he has set me a goal weight of a 6stone target which is 84lb... I then gave him my target of 7stone 4lb which is 102lb to get me into the healty BMI... he told me not to worry about the BMI and focus on what will feel and look good for ME!

That made a lot of sense. We are all different. He told me to aim high but be realistic.

Your BMI looks really good as does your weight... and you seem to be maintaining it well.

How do you feel in yourself? Are YOU happy with your current weight and body shape... do you exercise?

There is a part of me that thinks, so long as I am healthy and fit then it is all good... and then the other part of me really wants to see the scale get to the 130s!

Difficult isn't?

Good luck and let us know what you decide... this is a great forum so hopefully someone else will add on...

=]

Hi Bookleen, I'm in a similar situation as you. My BMI is 27.1, and I've hardly lost any weight in the last 4 months. I too discussed w my surgeon and he said the same as Coops just said above, it's not about BMI it's where you feel comfortable. I still want to lose around 10 lbs but I know I have to start working at it again, at the moemnt I eat and drink anything I want, I so excercise quite a lot, I think thats the only reason I haven't put on any weight.

I could've written that post myself you know, I need to tidy up my act too and strat losing again before my 1 year anniversary. How far out are you exactly?

Good luck, to all of us :P

Hi Chilo and Coops,

Thanks for your replies. It is encouraging to know that I am not alone.

I have spent hours reading around this forum and now I feel much more motivated to get my act together.

This is a great place.

I particularly like the post " What will you weigh 4th July". I have joined that thread and pledged to lose 14 lbs.

This helps me get focused again.

I have already started to increase my Protein and reduce the carbs.

Also making some exercise or just movement compulsory every day, even if it is only a little.

My anniverary for 1 year out is on Tues, so I want to feel in control that day.

Bookleen

I'm over 9 months out and while I know I still have some weight to lose, I am also dealing with this same situation. I have been kind of living life the past 3 months and some days doing what i'm supposed to and others not.

I was very heavy when I started so if this is where I stay I would be ok with that especially because I know I have lots of excess skin that will eventually come off. I'd like to lose 20-30 more lbs but i'm not going to stress about it, I have a big build and a decent amount of muscle so I don't really believe that the standard number is my true BMI

What I don't want to do is lose too much weight to the point where I then gain weight at the end... I just want to get to that point where I can comfortably maintain