Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gold Standard 100% Whey

Hi all,

Just wanted to whey in (sorry I couldn't resist!) with the Protein powders I've selected. I chose Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey because it seemed to have the best protein/calorie balance of the Protein powders and drinks recommended by Kaiser Fremont.

I purchased it at GNC. I am hoping two 5-lb tubs will take me through the period that I will need to supplement solid protein. I have a bit of an advantage over some because I love greek yogurt and like cottage cheese, so I hope to be getting my protein from food fairly quickly.

I chose Double Rich chocolate and French vanilla flavors. I've tried them both simply stirred into milk and blended alone and with a little fruit. My completely biased taste test so far:

• Double Rich chocolate, blended with 8 oz milk and two ice cubes: Pretty good flavor. I think I can drink this after surgery, but blending the drink makes it foamy. I'm worried I won't be able to get that volume down at first.
  • Double Rich Chocolate, blended with 8 oz milk, two ice cubes, and 1/2 banana: Didn't think the banana added much to the flavor, so I probably won't add it unless i need the extra nutrition.
  • Double Rich Chocolate, blended with 6 oz milk, two ice cubes, and 1/2 banana: Cutting milk back to 6 oz. and blending slower significantly decreased the volume. I could taste the banana better with the smaller amount of milk.
  • French vanilla, blended with , blended with 8 oz milk and two ice cubes: Yuck! I detected a distinct aftertaste that I really didn't like.
  • French Vanilla, blended with 8 oz milk, two ice cubes, and 1/2 cup strawberries: Strawberries didn't help. Still yucky in my book.
  • French Vanilla, stirred with 6 oz milk: When I simply stirred it, it tasted better to me. Surprise: I liked it!
  • Double Rich Chocolate, stirred with 6 oz milk: When I simply stirred it, it had the same aftertaste I found in the blended French Vanilla. Surprise: I didn't like it!

Conclusions:

I will drink the French Vanilla stirred with 6 oz milk and the Double Rich Chocolate blended with 6 oz. milk and two ice cubes.

Worries:

If I'm lactose intolerant after surgery, I will switch to Lactaid milk. I hope it tastes the same!

Best regards,

Lynda

Try the GNC wheybolic isolate extreme 60 also. I think it has a smoother taste and has no grit or thick taste to it..I would recommend the chochlate. Add to 6 ounces of skim and little chocolate sf Syrup and a few ice cubes blended and it tastes just like a chocholate milk shake..:D It's awesome..

Thank you! I'll give it a try if I can't tolerate the ones I bought after surgery. With 10 lbs. of it around, I hope I will still like them after surgery.

Lynda

Lynda, My surgeon feels that those who become lactose intolerant after surgery were probably mildly intolerant before surgery. I am almost 7 months out and still start my days with a shake. I like "About Time" 100% whey Protein it costs something like $40 for a 2lb tub which gives 32 servings so it is the most economical I have found. I have always had a wicked sweet tooth so I get the chocolate flavor and use either skin milk with Nes-quik Sugar Free Chocolate mix or I will add 1/4 cup of sugar free instant pudding (I make adding a scoop of the protein powder) or I will use Wall-Marts Calorie Countdown chocolate milk (same calories as skin milk). I will also add greek yogurt to my shakes and Tarino's sugar free syrups so yummy.

I tried the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey in the "cake batter" and "cookies and cream" flavors. The Cookies and cream was pretty good, but the cake batter was DELICIOUS. It tastes like the birthday cake remix milkshake at coldstone. :) MMMMMM.... I added it to 8 oz. of milk and stirred with a spoon (I don't like to shake them because I hate the foam). Then I added some crushed ice on top and used my emulsion blender just long enough to crush the ice (again, not too long because you'll get the gross foam). It was sooooo good. I actually woke up this morning craving one!

I got a sample of the cake batter, cookies and cream, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate from Vitamin Adventure. I haven't found anywhere online to get the sample packs. I've read a lot of good reviews about the caramel toffee fudge flavor. These are the least "dirty sock" tasting shakes that I've tried so far. I think I've found a winner :)

I buy my Protein at costco. I won't buy choc because you can do more with a vanilla base than choc. Costwise, it is cheaper to do it that way. I know GNC has a membership plan that discounts cost of their products, tho. I am 2 wks out now and doing swell!!:D May I offer some suggestions about drinking shakes?? First, sip--don't drink. wait at least 2 min bet each sip. I tend to sip mine at least an hr or so when I make them. Most shakes taste best chilled or cold--I mean chill your mixing ingredients for about 15 min before making them. This, too, might improve the flavors and tasting. EcoDrink is a liquid Multivitamin drink that is good. costco sells a month supply for $20, but it has berry and orange flavor packets that you mix into a bottle that comes with the packets, and use bottled Water with (or filtered)--plain, Each packet makes the 16 oz needed.

t

As for sugars, and lactose: I won't use cow's milk. Love Almond Breeze Light and light soymilk, tho. I would limit the artif sugars as much as possible. I am trying to use natural ways to sweeten my foods like honey, and stevia. My stomach tends to gas up otherwise. So far, have been very good with my limits in this aspect. :rolleyes: