Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy and Revision to Sleeve

I am like many of you on here, struggling with my lapband. I had my first surgery in 2006. I was a low BMI bandster, and lost all of my excess weight within 9 months. After about 6 months, though, the problems started - getting stuck, not being able to eat any "healthy" foods at all, etc. I had so many bad "stuck" experiences, even with a totally empty band, that I ended up getting a revision to the AP band in 2008. I had no slip, but did have a large hiatal hernia that was repaired at that tim. I have had pretty much the same issues with this band, but unfortunately have gained back most of what i had lost, too. I can barely eat, can never find a sweet spot with fills/unfills, and find myself turning to frozen yogurt and "easy" foods. I still band-throw-up almost every day, even when I don't have a ton of Fluid. My band is so inconsistent - some days I can eat a "normal" meal, but most days, I can't get down anything. I find myself always making sure that I have Soup, oatmeal, Cereal, or Protein shakes on hand because that's pretty much all that I can eat.

I am trying to tell myself that this is not my fault, but I do feel like a failure.

I am now seriously considering revision to a sleeve, but of course I have a ton of fears and anxiety. My insurance will only cover band removal, so I will have to self-pay for the sleeve (my BMI isn't that high, around 29 or so). I am scared to death that I'll have some major complication, or that it won't work again. If there were some major complication, I'd wonder to myself why I can't just be okay with being overweight. If it doesn't work and I don't lose, or worse, gain weight, I'll wonder why I spent $15,000 on this.

On top of all that, I would like to start trying to get pregnant in the next 6 months. Have any of you gone through pregnancy with the sleeve? How long after revision would I need to wait before getting pregnant?

I am going to see a surgeon here in Austin to further discuss all my questions, but just wanted to see what other thoughts are out there. This is a big, scary step.

Very familiar story for those of us former bandsters! Do lots of research - only you will know if the change is right for you. I made my decision when my BMI was 31. I do think the surgery affects us a little differently becuase we don't have as much to lose.

When I was looking through my paperwork, I was told NOT to try and get pregnant for the first 6 months as least. I think you are only taking in about 500 cals per day during that time and it isn't enough to support a healthy pregnancy. In fact, I would not bother with weight loss surgery until 6 months after the baby comes. Your body will change so much and you might gain a bit of weight. The baby needs you to eat when you are pregnant. Maybe you can get the band out before getting pregnant and then have a sleeve after? With your BMI at 29, it should not be necesary for you to lose more weight in order to become pregnant, like some of the folks on the VST board.

Don't feel like a failure - the lap band simply does not work in a majority of cases. We all wish that we were part of the "success" group, but they are really few and far between after 3 years or so. I'm loving my sleeve so far.

Good luck--

Lara

In Ontario the standard is not to get pregnant for 2 years after WLS. Your body won't be able to handle the shock of weight loss and pregnancy and neither of you will be healthy.

As you know with any WLS, being able to support your body, and the developing baby is essential with a nutrient dense, balanced diet. Since you BMI is lower, you don't have to go super low calorie/low carb to lose your excess weight. BUT, there is no way I would have been able to consume enough calories that early out without having to rely on Meal Replacement drinks. My capacity was super limited the first 6 months post-VSG, and by limited means no more than 2-4oz of food per meal. If the food was extremely mushy/liquidy consistency (like chili, or yogurt I could get in about 6oz). I still have to stretch my meals further out, and eat some sliders with my Protein to ensure I eat enough per meal. I maxed out at about 3oz of dense Protein, and relied on a lot of mushy food just to hit protein goals early out. The caloric recommendation for me currently in pregnancy is 1700-1800 calories a day. At 22 months, I don't have any issues getting in those calories, but I do have to drink 100% juice to get in extra fluids/calories and some good ole beta carotene.

The baby will take from your body what it needs to thrive and grow. Our body is what suffer through pregnancy, along with vitamin/nutrient deficiencies that can affect the developing fetus.

Don't blame yourself for the band complications. My band only lasted 8 months, and I worked the hell out of the band. I did have major complications during my revision (including a leak) because of the damage the band had done to my stomach. But, I survived, and here I am 22 months out and 10.5 weeks pregnant.

Just make sure you go to an experienced revision surgeon, be diligent with your intake, and Vitamins. I was released at 8 months post-VSG to TTC for several reasons. I was below goal, my labs had been stellar, and my husband's deployment ops tempo is high, and we were fearing a deployment. It took over 12 months to get pregnant with charting, temping, ovulation monitor etc etc. It was an emotionally, mental, and physically draining process that took a heavy toll on me. Now in pregnancy, I'm dealing with fear of regain, body shape changes, and just the normal "pregnancy stuff". No amount of people telling me "oh it's just baby weight" "oh it's for the baby" "oh, you'll lose the weight" will take away the mind games that are going on right now. After going from a size 22/24W to a size 2, I don't care what anyone says, not being able to fit into my jeans that I've comfortably worn for a year, and watch my body changing dramatically through the pregnancy is very difficult mentally. I thought I was prepared for it, and I am overjoyed to be pregnant. I have zero regrets, and I do know that being pregnant is a fabulous, joyous occasion, but I refuse to deny the way I feel right now. Maybe it'll change in the near future. I'm embracing the changes, staying focused on my health, and making sure I am providing the very best little environment for the baby. I just thought I would share my thoughts, and experience thus far.

Best wishes with your consult, and future revision. Getting rid of the band was the best thing I ever did for myself, and my future health.

I had a failed lapband and I LOVE my sleeve. Honestly, I am so glad to have that horrible thing out of my body! The sleeve is a great thing. I felt so much like a failure too, but now that I have been successful with the sleeve, I realize it was not me. Good luck! We are always here if you have more questions.