Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One-month surgiversary

One month ago today, at about 8.30 am, I had the majority of my stomach cut out. For the first three days post-op, it was an absolute nightmare. I didn't have any gas pain, but my little stomach HURT. And was violently nauseated. And dry heaved and vomited off and on for three days. And the anti-nausea drugs just made it worse (all of them).

But then, like a switch getting flipped, I felt better. And just continued to feel better for the next few days in hospital. They fed me Clear liquids on the second day, after I passed the leak test. And also on the following day, because I was so sick. But then they added in little Protein shakes (in like 200 ml cups, very cute) and more broth and stuff. And on the fourth day, they brought in a full food tray with a plate covered by the dome and all. Underneath it all was...a very small piece of zwieback. Made me laugh, but I ate it. And the next day, I got bread and diet butter and diet jam and coffee with milk, and then for lunch I got mash and gravy and more shakes (they always brought two little cups with different flavors), and so on. And on day six, they let me go home -- yay!

I had no pre-op diet (I think sometimes they might give one to a few patients, depending on their BMI and health issues -- they had already run labs and my liver enzymes were fine), and my only post-op diet was that meals should be balanced of Protein, fruit/veg, and carbs -- and that I couldn't have raw fruit and veg till I was cleared for it (which I was, this week). So I've been on "real food" for nearly four weeks now. So far, touch wood, I haven't eaten anything that didn't sit well and I haven't been nauseated (except by vitamins) at all.

I have eaten at restaurants and done okay, I have eaten meat (beef and chicken) and fish (sits very well) and shrimp (ditto). I love Beans of all kinds, and also really love cream spinach. I do eat sugar-free (drinks, jam, etc.), but I don't eat non-fat stuff -- I use olive oil and butter (obviously very little) and normal yogurt and cottage cheese. I can eat so little, I want it to be good -- and it helps get in extra calories. My plan calls for three meals and three Snacks every day, so I feel like I'm eating all the time -- but it works really well for me, as I don't do very well at all when my blood sugar is low.

I also drink 1.5 - 2 liters of liquids per day and have had no problem doing so since I came home (it was harder at the hospital as I don't like the brand of Water they use lol). I don't really have to take small sips, but I don't gulp or anything either.

I sometimes feel guilty (and paranoid lol) about how smoothly it's gone. I feel pretty good, aside from wanting to go to bed quite early. I walk a lot anyhow, and I've kept this up. I will be cleared for other exercise at six weeks. I only have one more week of giving myself those blood-thinner shots, thank god.

I didn't ever feel anything like "OMG all my hunger is gone!!" and I was at first a bit worried about that. But thinking about it more, I wasn't hungry all the time pre-op anyhow, so it's not a huge change. I do get hungry, and my appetite is quite good, but I feel I'm getting plenty to eat. And I still think the hunger might reduce over time -- I already find it a bit difficult to eat in the morning first thing, takes me an hour or so to get in gear. Even so I'm not that bothered, as it's not like pre-op hunger anyhow.

So, it's going great. The VSG, in my experience so far, is fab! I hope things keep going so smoothly. I hope I don't find that later I can eat loads of food because it's been so easy from the start, but I'm not going to borrow trouble. I am bad about tracking things, but I've lost about 10kg/22 pounds since surgery, which is amazing to me. My goal has been -- and remains -- to feel healthy and good and strong, but the weight loss is the road to that, so I'll take it. :)

If anyone is thinking about getting VSG surgery, I already highly recommend it.

PS: I don't want to post all the food I eat, because that would be dead boring (as opposed to my scintillating post above :rolleyes: ). But if anyone is curious what three meals and three Snacks look like, just let me know.

Congrats on your surgiversary!! I'm glad things went so smoothly for you after the first couple days. Don't feel guilty, you're an inspiration story ;) Besides, being nauseated by anti-nausea drugs is definitely not what I'd call a guilt-worthy pleasure cruise.

I'm scheduled for my sleeve here in Austria on Wednesday (!!) and am starting to freak out. It was really, really great to read your post because it's SO different here than what most American/Canadian posters write about. I confused the heck out of my surgeon when I asked questions about pre-op diet, how long I will be on Clear Liquids after surgery (1 week? 2 more?), etc. He was confused by my asking; I was confused by his confusion; everybody was confused, haha.

But like you, I'll be in the hospital 4-6 days so I'm guessing the rest of my experience will be a lot like yours.

Where did you have yours done, if you don't mind me asking? I have a spidey-sense that you're in a Germanic country too! Am I right? Are you an expat like me?

Congrats on your surgiversary!! I'm glad things went so smoothly for you after the first couple days. Don't feel guilty, you're an inspiration story ;) Besides, being nauseated by anti-nausea drugs is definitely not what I'd call a guilt-worthy pleasure cruise.

I'm scheduled for my sleeve here in Austria on Wednesday (!!) and am starting to freak out. It was really, really great to read your post because it's SO different here than what most American/Canadian posters write about. I confused the heck out of my surgeon when I asked questions about pre-op diet, how long I will be on clear liquids after surgery (1 week? 2 more?), etc. He was confused by my asking; I was confused by his confusion; everybody was confused, haha.

But like you, I'll be in the hospital 4-6 days so I'm guessing the rest of my experience will be a lot like yours.

Where did you have yours done, if you don't mind me asking? I have a spidey-sense that you're in a Germanic country too! Am I right? Are you an expat like me?

Ahoy, there, ahoy!

Well, the first thing I've just realised is that no one ever replied to my one-month surgiversary post. Hmph! :P Thanks for being the first lol!

You will do great -- I am going to PM you, coz I know another expat in Austria (are you in Vienna?) who had their VSG done there a few months ago. (Also for all the other info.)

Re: the differences -- yes, there are many. And I am careful about how I post about the differences because people think the doctors/surgeons and nutritionists here are crackpots. But I have found the process to be really good, and I've always felt I was in good hands, Healthwise. I did stay 6 days in hospital, they wanted to keep me another day, but I was DONE. Good lord, the seven-day minimum hospital sentence, I can't get away from it!! :D

Cheers for the post -- and best of luck to you, you will do great!!

Happy Surgiversary swizzly!

Nothing wrong with having an easy time after 3 days of throwing up! My surgery is in 10 days and I'm so nervous. I am prepared for that moment in the first days post op where I'm wondering why in the world would anyone want to have 85% of their stomach removed!

Actually when I read that first sentence of your post I was shocked -- and then I realized "Hey, you are going to do the same exact thing!"

I'm very happy you are adjusting to your sleeve and are able to eat a small quantity of a variety of foods. Thanks for sharing! Keep us all posted and save me a spot on the loser's bench! biggrin.gif

Ahoy, there, ahoy!

Well, the first thing I've just realised is that no one ever replied to my one-month surgiversary post. Hmph! :P Thanks for being the first lol!

You will do great -- I am going to PM you, coz I know another expat in Austria (are you in Vienna?) who had their VSG done there a few months ago. (Also for all the other info.)

Re: the differences -- yes, there are many. And I am careful about how I post about the differences because people think the doctors/surgeons and nutritionists here are crackpots. But I have found the process to be really good, and I've always felt I was in good hands, Healthwise. I did stay 6 days in hospital, they wanted to keep me another day, but I was DONE. Good lord, the seven-day minimum hospital sentence, I can't get away from it!! :D

Cheers for the post -- and best of luck to you, you will do great!!

Awww- I must have missed it! Happy belated- where is your three month post :D

You know I respect totally the medical practices where you are- they are just different- that is all. There are a lot of different theories out there and to me none are 100% right and none are 100% wrong.

I am just glad you are doing well.

I think the first replier asked you where you live though....

xoxo

My pleasure ;) And oh boy - I just NOW noticed you posted that in March! You're almost into month 3 now, so awesome!

And the doctors/surgeons etc here think the Americans/Canadians/UK doctors and surgeons are also crackpots! Haha. What a world. :)

They sure are "generous" with hospital stays tho, that's for sure! Maybe if they were just a little more crackpot-y, they'd prescribe us "die Kur" instead of 4-6 days in a hospital bed.

Awww- I must have missed it! Happy belated- where is your three month post :D

Well, that will be coming on my three-month surgiversary, upcoming this week. B)

I think the first replier asked you where you live though....

Yes, she did -- and I told her. :P

I have a huge aversion to typing out specific names or details, but if people couldn't figure it out from my user name, it's a wee central European country that is widely associated with banking, cheese, and anal retention. ;)

Maybe if they were just a little more crackpot-y, they'd prescribe us "die Kur" instead of 4-6 days in a hospital bed.

Most of the Kurs I've seen, I'd hope to give them a miss. It's not all mineral baths and massages, that's for sure. :D

Congrats!