Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 wks out and i can't loose more lbs.

Hello all,

I'm 6 weeks out from my VSG surgery and am getting depressed by the second. While I was completely aware that the weight loss results were slower than the bypass...how much slower are we talking about? In the 1st 3 weeks, I've lost a total of about 15-17 lbs (scale varies from docs office to mine) and have been literally stuck there ever since. I have been following my physicians plan of introducing new foods when due and am wondering if the intake of the new solids in my diet could this be the culprit? Due to some incision complications, I have not been able to be as active as I would have wanted to be however as I read through blogs, most patients don't really start an exercise program until well after the 4-6 week mark. I spoke to my doc n he doesn't seem too concerned. Enough where he scheduled my next appt in 2 months! I need help from my fellow VGS's with any advise that could give my weight loss a boost! I don't regret my choice of surgery but please tell me that this is not the end and that maybe I am doing something wrong...Thanks! Chloe

Well I weigh the same at week 2 and 3 and thats a little frustrating for me. Because I walked 5 days a week during my week 2 and after my 2 week post op I started working out. My doctor told me I could do everything but abs so I have burned 400 plus calories 5 days a week and I was still the same weight at wk 3. But I asked a question as well are there weeks where you stall?

Everyone will lose at their own pace. Don't be frustrated and also don't be a slave to the scale. The reason we do this is make a lifestyle change, to live and be healther. Listen to your body and just be relaxed with the process. I know I feel healther because most of my joint pains are gone now. My clothes are starting to fit differently. I expect things will slow for me but I won't be concerned.

Hello all,

I'm 6 weeks out from my VSG surgery and am getting depressed by the second. While I was completely aware that the weight loss results were slower than the bypass...how much slower are we talking about? In the 1st 3 weeks, I've lost a total of about 15-17 lbs (scale varies from docs office to mine) and have been literally stuck there ever since. I have been following my physicians plan of introducing new foods when due and am wondering if the intake of the new solids in my diet could this be the culprit? Due to some incision complications, I have not been able to be as active as I would have wanted to be however as I read through blogs, most patients don't really start an exercise program until well after the 4-6 week mark. I spoke to my doc n he doesn't seem too concerned. Enough where he scheduled my next appt in 2 months! I need help from my fellow VGS's with any advise that could give my weight loss a boost! I don't regret my choice of surgery but please tell me that this is not the end and that maybe I am doing something wrong...Thanks! Chloe

Hello all,

Hey Chloe -- I'm sorry you're feeling so bad (hugs!) -- listen, don't beat yourself up. This is COMPLETELY NORMAL. You're in your first stall. In fact, most people hit a stall around the 3rd week or so. It happens because you've lost weight so fast that your body is saying, "Whoa!! I must be in a famine! I will conserve every bit of fat/weight I can so I won't die!" I think I've been through 3 stalls already -- and I might be in another -- but just so you know, ALL bodies hit this stage at one time or another -- it just happens -- if you were to graph out your weight loss, it would look like a stair step rather than a direct line downwards -- you lose a bunch, then nothing, then lose a bunch, then nothing.

So, when you hit these stalls, start measuring yourself in a different way -- measure your inches, see if you have any non-scale victories, like doing something couldn't before -- OR even take up journaling your thoughts/emotions -- I do a vlog on YouTube that is really helpful to me -- and I get good feedback which is also a positive motivator.

So, I hope that helps -- DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP!! You're not allowed! ;)

Take care and big hugs!

Hello! I had my sleeve on January 18th and have lost about 20 lbs, but lots of that was before surgery and have not lost a pound since Feb. 7, in fact I have gained 1b since then. I have done everything I am supposed to do in terms of food progressions and am not snacking or going outside the parameters on amounts or anything. I have been doing about 500 to 600 calories a day! For a week or so I had trouble getting Protein in as the lactaid milk with Protein powder made me too nauseous, but since then I have been advanced to the soft diet and am now getting more Protein in through food and doing regular skim milk with lactaid pills which does not make me nauseous. But I too am pretty discouraged, I have been doing pool excercises three times a week (which is as much as I can do due to back and hip issues.) I know I will be a bit slower due to that but this seems ridiculous. All this pain and no reward! My clinic says since my BMI is not as high as some (I have to lose about 100 lbs) and due to age and back issues I will be slower and not to worry, but I was not a terrible eater to begin with and if tiny portions don't work, what will? Did you guys do anything to get out of a stall?

Yes you're absolutely right about that....just wish the process weren't so slow :-( Thanks for the reply Massinex!

Everyone will lose at their own pace. Don't be frustrated and also don't be a slave to the scale. The reason we do this is make a lifestyle change, to live and be healther. Listen to your body and just be relaxed with the process. I know I feel healther because most of my joint pains are gone now. My clothes are starting to fit differently. I expect things will slow for me but I won't be concerned.

Julie, I can't even begin to tell u how much better you've made me feel! Thanks for the positive response and putting this all into perspective for me :-)

quote name='juliarh' timestamp='1298138076' post='118329']

Hey Chloe -- I'm sorry you're feeling so bad (hugs!) -- listen, don't beat yourself up. This is COMPLETELY NORMAL. You're in your first stall. In fact, most people hit a stall around the 3rd week or so. It happens because you've lost weight so fast that your body is saying, "Whoa!! I must be in a famine! I will conserve every bit of fat/weight I can so I won't die!" I think I've been through 3 stalls already -- and I might be in another -- but just so you know, ALL bodies hit this stage at one time or another -- it just happens -- if you were to graph out your weight loss, it would look like a stair step rather than a direct line downwards -- you lose a bunch, then nothing, then lose a bunch, then nothing.

So, when you hit these stalls, start measuring yourself in a different way -- measure your inches, see if you have any non-scale victories, like doing something couldn't before -- OR even take up journaling your thoughts/emotions -- I do a vlog on YouTube that is really helpful to me -- and I get good feedback which is also a positive motivator.

So, I hope that helps -- DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP!! You're not allowed! ;)

Take care and big hugs!

I guess my main frustration to all this is that I've had not one but two friends had this procedure done and have managed to loose between 20-22 lbs in the first month. I know everyone is different but c'mon...do I have to be that different???

Well I weigh the same at week 2 and 3 and thats a little frustrating for me. Because I walked 5 days a week during my week 2 and after my 2 week post op I started working out. My doctor told me I could do everything but abs so I have burned 400 plus calories 5 days a week and I was still the same weight at wk 3. But I asked a question as well are there weeks where you stall?

Yes you're absolutely right about that....just wish the process weren't so slow :-( Thanks for the reply Massinex!

Hey there, Rome wasn't built in one day either. . . and i'm sure you didn't gain all your weight overnight neither. . . it's a process not a race. . . so sit back and enjoy your sleeve, let it help you, don't stress over it. . . gosh haven't we done that enough in our lives already? just follow the doctor's advice and honey. . . GET RID OF THAT STUPID SCALE! only weigh yourself at the doctors office on your appts. . . don't become a slave to that dumb scale. Just a suggestion! Bet you'll be a lot happier!

GOD THANK YOU EVERYONE ,,,,,,,,,,

IVE JUST THIS AND I AM NORMAL'!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE READING THESE PAGES THEY HELP ME SOOOO MUCH

HUGS TO YOU ALL AND THANK YOU AGAIN :0))

Ann xxx

Done! Got rid of the scale! Thanks for putting it all into perspective for me :-)

Hey there, Rome wasn't built in one day either. . . and i'm sure you didn't gain all your weight overnight neither. . . it's a process not a race. . . so sit back and enjoy your sleeve, let it help you, don't stress over it. . . gosh haven't we done that enough in our lives already? just follow the doctor's advice and honey. . . GET RID OF THAT STUPID SCALE! only weigh yourself at the doctors office on your appts. . . don't become a slave to that dumb scale. Just a suggestion! Bet you'll be a lot happier!

Please don't get discouraged. I had the same thing happen. I was about 6 weeks postop and down 25 lbs from my pre milk/ presurgery diet. I was embarrassed to tell my family and friends that I was frustrated because I had already lost some weight. I held that weight for over a week and ever since working out 3-4 days a week and following the diet I have been steady with 2-3 lbs a week. It happens differently for everyone. Eat your Protein first! And exercise...this is our new life. Keep us posted.

Glad I found this thread. I am at that same point. I actually gained weight the second month post op and it is really frustrating. Three days later I am down 2 of those 3 pounds. I know its Water weight blah blah blah LOL. Its hard not being a slave to the scale, but the past two weeks I started working out and doing lots of walking so I'll see what that does for me. The frustration comes from knowing you put yourself through this and then BAM nothing is happening but in reality a lot is happening. This has changed my life for the better in so many ways already. Just gets frustrating not seeing the scale move.

It happens to a lot of us. My scale just started moving again yesterday after 3 wks of the same weight. But I can tell with my rings and clothes and peoples remarks that I was still getting smaller. I knew pre-op that this is how it would be. I had lost 35 lbs before surgery and had a very very long stall. What makes it harder is everyone keeps asking me everyday how much I've lost. I hate to keep saying the same amount!! My hubby has assured me they keep asking because it looks like I've lost more. I just stop weighing and focus on getting the Protein in, have faith it's gonna happen, and think positive.

:)