Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am nearly 3 months out and my daughter wants me to go to her wedding cake tasting next week. I have expressed to her I am nervous about this because it is not a food I am allowed. Should I put my worries on hold and take a small bite of each cake, no frosting so I don't ruin the moment?

I am so torn............

I'd just do it....what's the worst that could happen? I guarantee you you'll be full after a few bites.

It was my son's birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I was 2 months out, and I had a piece of cake (a very tiny piece), with icing. This is a huge day in your daughter's life, and you are not going to hurt your sleeve, it is well healed already. I would just try a tiny bite, you will be full fast and never consume enough to feel guilty. I go to support group meetings on a regular basis, and one of the biggest things they are trying to teach us is to lose the guilt around food. Skinny people do not feel guilt for eating a little cake, so why should we. I got my sleeve to help with exactly that. I watch my diet most of the time, but I do indulge occasionally, and do not feel guilty about it. Have fun and enjoy the time with your daughter!

This is a very special time for your daughter and you. I don't see anything wrong with taking a small bite. My daughter is getting married in October but I live 350 miles away and we dont' get to share thiese special moments. Focus on her, asking her opinions of which flavor she liked the best. Maybe when she narrows it down to 2 choices than taste. Next month I will be heading to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and food is definately a big part of the weekend but I plan to make good choices but not get crazy. I want to enjoy myself and have a good time with all my relatives I will be seeing that weekend.

I too would go ahead and do it too. However my taste has changed so much since my operation I am afraid my opinion on cake would be worthless, hardly ANYTHING tastes good to me anymore. If you have a similar problem it may not help your daughter out much.

I'm with everyone else, do it! -- I was 3 1/2 months out at Christmas and I had a sliver of pumpkin pie and a sliver of key lime pie. Didn't do anything to me. HOWEVER, it was OVER the top sweet for me -- yuck!! I was astounded. I hated it. And I made both. Everyone else loved them -- so like Rootman, my tastebuds have changed DRASTICALLY and I can't tolerate much sugar. So be prepared to have completely different reaction to the cake. Small bites won't hurt. (Oh, and be prepared for the food cravings afterward especially if you eat low carb -- took me at least a week to get the head hunger out of my head after eating the pie).

I hope you have fun celebrating this special day with your daughter! :)

I would not miss this moment. These foods shouldn't be forbidden in my mind. If this situation would have presented itself to me during the same time frame, I would go, enjoy the moment with family, and cherish the memories.

yes, a tiny bite of each is not going to hurt a thing. Make sure you savor every bite and enjoy it and eat it slowly.

You might get full really fast so that's why I say take it slow

Of course you should do it... nevermind the sleeve, this is your daughter and she is important... imagine the regret if you didn't... I agree with the others, a little cake isn't gonna hurt. If it was me personally, I would do it and enjoy every second spent with my girl... life is way too short!! and these moments we share are soooo precious!

Enjoy your cake! =]

I am nearly 3 months out and my daughter wants me to go to her wedding cake tasting next week. I have expressed to her I am nervous about this because it is not a food I am allowed. Should I put my worries on hold and take a small bite of each cake, no frosting so I don't ruin the moment?

I am so torn............

Well you can go just to be there. Does she know about your surgery? It sounds like she does. Maybe just sample the ones she says are really very good. Make everyone happy!! :-)

I'm jealous. 2moro is my birthday and today my boyfriend bought me' a little baby cake. I am only 2 1/2 weeks out so I felt it was much too risky for me to take a bite. However, my finger did accidentally touch the icing on the side so I licked my finger. LOL You are far enough out tho. Describe every bite to me. I luv cake , especially a gourmet wedding cake!

I say go for it as well. Just imagine eating those little sample sizes & being perfectly content with that little taste. You had surgery to live life and live it for all it has to give. This is a LIFE moment & should not be missed.

Just beware - if you have been good with Desserts and stuff for all 3 months, you might experience some ... how should I say it ... bowel issues. :unsure: Just make sure you know where the bathroom is prior to your sampling. ;)

Enjoy this time ... and be sure to come back and tell us all about it!!!!

Absolutely go and have a good day with your daughter.

I too would suggest starting with a bite and see how it sits. Before my sleeve I was s huge sugar addict. I LOVED cake, particularly the corner pieces since they had so much more icing. After 3.5 months being off sugar entirely, I find when I do partake I can only tolerate a very small piece, and I cannot take all of the icing that is on it. I don't get sick or anything, I just get a queazy, unsettled feeling in my stomach.

I love this sleeve.

I am curious as to who has "outlawed" you from eating cake? Is that your choice? I will be 3 months post-op in 2 days and I have had cake (a couple of times) but it's a bite here and there (I'm still losing weight just great too)!! I am with all the others, you really should experience this with your daughter! You don't have to take a "FULL" bite of each, but a small tasting and I'm sure you will be full after just a couple!!! Have fun and ENJOY!!

I don't do more than 30 carbs a day by my choice. I just broke a nearly month long stall and I don't want to be back in that boat. Also I was a borderline diabetic before surgery so I am very concerned with sugar in my diet. I have pretty much decided to just go and enjoy within reason. I will try very small bites.

I have not allowed myself any " treats" since surgery as I know it is a very slippery slope of one thing leading to another.