Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder out almost a year ago

Okay, so I had my gallbladder removed in February 2010 (8 months post VSG). For about 4-5 months post GB removal, I had some food intolerances, and had to switch to fat free or low fat foods, sauces, dressings etc etc etc. As the months progressed, I could incorporate more of my normal foods back into my diet. I even had to cut out Tomato based products like Pasta Sauce, ketchup, chili etc etc.

For the last 7-10 days, I've been having that strange radiating pain in my shoulder again, and none of the normal pain reducers are helping it. It doesn't even matter what I eat, how much I eat, even drinking my coffee and/or tea, I get the pains. Today, I started having pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen. From all my research, I realize it could be a blocked duct in my liver. I'm not having any fever, vomiting, or nausea, but I have all the other symptoms. My stomach has been rumbling, and essentially hurting with everything I eat and drink.

Believe me, I am not scared of another surgery, nor am I too concerned that it won't be resolved or ongoing. I'm wondering if anyone experienced this with their gb removal regardless if it was done pre or post weight loss surgery.

I'm not miserable, but it is keeping me from sleeping comfortably, and obviously it's affecting my eating. I've dropped 3lbs in 2 days even though I'm eating, I'm trying to eat softer foods to prevent my stomach from hurting. I am going to either go to my PCM or surgeon tomorrow. Whichever can get me in quicker.

Thanks for any input.

Yikes Tiff, this is one of those life-after-sleeve topics that I don't know anything about, so I am all ears to hear what people say. Is there any possibility that you have an intestinal gas blockage? I ask because the only experience I have with shoulder pain/sleeve life is from the gas after surgery.

Tiff, I'm so sorry this is happening -- I have no experience with it but I would really like it if you'd keep us up to date -- I'm a worrier and I will worry if I don't know if everything is a-ok. Take care! hugs!

Tiff I would def go and see your surgeon/doctor. As GT said maybe your intestines/gas? Just to make sure it's not your liver or pancreas you best get it checked. I'm sure you'll be fine, keep us posted!

Sorry you are in pain, have you ever looked at curezone.com ? I've used the Hulda Clark liver cleanse successfully, many times, to avoid gall bladder removal. Because, as you are unfortunately experiencing, even if the gall bladder is removed you still can get all the old symptoms from sludge and "stones" in the liver which is what probably caused your orignal pains. Doctors remove the gall bladder (which is just a pouch to hold excretions [bile, sludge, stones] from the liver) if it is infected and sometimes even if it isn't. If it is infected it causes pain; if it is not infected the source of pain is the blockage/congestion in the liver which is not taken care of with surgery. I'm interested to know if you took the gall bladder med Uridsidol that the docs give after weight loss surgery. In any case, I hope your pain is alleviated soon. I am new this site and posting (this is my very first post ever!) and I've read all your posts; you give such great info and insights. I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone ! ! !

I went to my PCM yesterday, and he's pulling lab work. Once we get the results back, we have two options.

1) If lab work looks good, off to my surgeon I go for an endoscopy.

2) If my liver or pancreas enzymes are off, he wants me to go to an internal medicine doctor for more diagnostics.

He is concerned about nerve damage from my band being removed and scar tissue healing over something in turn causing the pain. Not a lot they can do for it. Unless, it's a mild stricture from scar tissue pinching down on a stomach nerve. Even then, my PCM is kind of at a loss as to what to do.

The other concern is the common bile duct blockage.

He's put me on Carafate in the event it is something with my stomach, and switched me over to Nexium instead of Prilosec for 90 days since I'm burping up food 2-3 hours after I eat and it tastes horrible.

I declined taking Actigall because of some liver contraindications that can be seen with that drug. Due to the rapid weight loss phase, and my own personal medical history, I did not want my liver tasked even more with more drugs. With the 25% risk of gallstones post major weight loss, I did not feel that the Actigall was a good option for me. I was willing to take the 25% risk of gallstones over the stress on my liver with the Actigall.

Unfortunately, the labs had to be fasting and I couldn't get in to see my PCM until 3pm so I had already eaten for the day. I'm heading out this morning to get my labs pulled this morning.

The pain comes and goes. I was finally able to sleep peacefully last night, and didn't wake up to any issues this morning. It's definitely not gas, it's just weird and kind of difficult to explain. When my PCM palpated my abdomen, it's definitely in the upper abdomen. Pain on both sides of my stomach in between my ribs right below my sternum, along the ridges of my ribcage.

I'll keep everyone updated. So far, I haven't had any vomiting, diarrhea or fever so I'm just hoping that my labs come back okay, and I can go see my surgeon. Our insurance is a little cantankerous so I have to follow a few procedures to see my surgeon, and it'll be good to have my labs already pulled.

I had my gallbladder taken out a few weeks after having our first daughter. 1 year later I had our twins and a few weeks later I ended up in the hospital 3 times, the first time they said it was heartburn, the 2nd time they requested the labs from the civi hospital I had been taken to via ambulance and said I was fine and sent me on my way. 3rd time they ran labs again and my labs were not looking good at all. I had gotten to the point of not being able to even drink Water because it made me throw up, couldnt even take my bp meds (only was on them because I had severe pre-eclampsia in my pregnancy again and my bp had not gone down yet). I had jaundice which was really creepy to see myself so yellow lol. I was in intense pain and nothing was helping. The labs showed I had pancreatitis and after ultrasound and CT scan they said my liver was inflamed too. They could not see the stones though.

The next day I was transfered to a civilian hospital and they put me under a twilight and did an ERCP. As soon as they got in there they saw 3 stones hidden in the common bile duct. They had scoped me for those after taking out my gallbladder a year prior so they said they were likely caused by pregnancy. They cut out the stones and I woke up in no pain. I did end up in the hospital for another 3 or 4 days til my labs started to look better and had to go back every few days for repeat labs til they were back to normal again.

Hopefully your doctors can figure out what is going on with you, I remember the pain well and its not something I would wish on anyone..

I hope you do get to chat with your surgeon, especially if it could be some type of nerve damage or stricture. I'm glad you are checking things off the list (labs, etc.) so that you can try to pinpoint what is going on.

I had my gallbladder out about 12 years ago and never had any trouble once it was gone.

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome for your pain!

Can't wait to see what the labs show Tiff. Keep us posted!

My PCM didn't call Friday with my lab reports, but I'm happy to report that I'm able to eat without pain. I'm not sure what's going on, but with the Nexium being on board for these 5 days, it seems things are getting better. I am still burping up food, but not nearly as bad as I was.

I'm just grateful that I'm not hurting anymore. I even forgot to take the Carafate for the last 2 days, and was able to eat real food again without discomfort.

I'm still going to follow my PCM's advice when it comes to my labs and possibly go in for an endoscopy with my surgeon. But, I am happy to report that I'm not in pain anymore.

well that's good news .Tiff I hope the pain stays GONE!

And, the pain returned today to some degree, LOVELY LOL. . . I got my lab results today, and of course, they are stellar, no issues, liver/pancreas all look good, appointment with surgeon scheduled for the 27th. More than likely a good scoping and contrast study.

It only happens when I eat dense Protein so I've gained 2 pounds over the last week, and it's either before my period weight, or it's because I've been living on slider foods and super soft mushy Proteins. I'm so frustrated, but I can wait it out to see my surgeon.

I hope he can get it all figured out for you. It really does not make sense. I guess that's why they are doctors and we are not. you need answers!

I'm glad that the labs were good news. But sad that the pain has come back -- hopefully the surgeon will be able to figure it out. Still thinking and praying for you, Tiff :)

I completely forgot to update this topic after the visit to my surgeon.

He took me off the Carafate because it was actually filling up my sleeve and making it more difficult for me to eat. I was really concerned that I had developed an ulcer. But, come to find out that if you have an ulcer, usually eating makes the pain stop, and my pain was only when I ate.

The pain subsided, and has stayed at bay. We discussed my eat habits, what I was eating, how the pain felt etc etc. He palpated my abdomen, reviewed my labs, and his conclusion is this : I took such great care of my sleeve, and still do not eat until being stuffed/full, that my capacity and restriction are still amazing thus causing discomfort when I eat within 2-3 hours of eating Protein first.

It's all about transit time for dense Protein. When we really evaluated when I was hurting, the type of pain, and the irregular bowel movements, he concluded that my stomach isn't emptying dense protein as fast as slider foods and in my attempts to eat my required calorie/protein numbers, I'm putting more food on top of food.

The key to this discovery is the fact that after I ate, I would eat again 2-4 hours later, and I would burp up whatever I ate during the prior meal. TOTALLY GROSS. For example, I will eat 3-4oz of chicken, a few bites of veggies, and be done go about my day. Sit down for my next meal, eat 3-5oz of say some ground turkey or beef, and up would come a chewy, partially digested piece of chicken. This happened regardless of how well I chewed up the meal before, how fast I ate, or if I started drinking after, or if I sipped during my meal.

There really is no rhyme or reason behind it other than I have to stretch my meals out further, or eat a few bites of starches to help food go through a little faster. If I eat a few bites of mashed potatoes, or a half slice of bread, this burping up food and discomfort did not occur.

He recommended that I pick up a digestive enzyme which I have yet to even bother with because stretching my meals out further, and drinking a bunch of clear fluids after ( starting about 45 minutesafter ) my meals seem to be helping. If the pain/discomfort returns, he wants me to go to Bentyl which apparently helps with transit time, and is used to treat IBS. Y'all know me and taking extra pills is something I avoid. Plus, if I can find resolution naturally without meds, I feel better about it.

Lessons I learned from all of this:

Taking care of my sleeve has paid off because I still have amazing restriction. (Soda hasn't changed a damn thing with my sleeve LOL)

Being mindful of how my body reacts to food is essential in remedying any issues

If it doesn't feel right, get to your medical professionals so they can evaluate, diagnose and treat the issue

Thanks everyone for your support, and good thoughts ! ! ! Sorry I was so late in my update.