Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Requesting your 2 cents on eating FATS

I've been reading and reading about anything and everything concerning the sleeve and when it comes to diet it seems that most of you are using low fat items.

I know low fat = much higher sugar/carbs content. It's the only way they can make it tasty after removing the fats. In terms of post surgery diet - is high sugar considered a little more acceptable than high fat? Everyone seems to be watching carbs so I'm surprised that they will go fat free.

Please chime in with your thoughts on this and what your nutritionist recommends. I'd really appreciate it!

For me, after VSG, I chose to go back to full fat cheese products, as they are more satisfying and I'm eating so little at each meal that I would rather be satisfied than be concerned about fat/calories. And for me, having to cut carbs, fat, sugar, calories etc, is why I could never keep the weight off, it was miserable. I want my food to taste good and feel good, I need to be satisfied. So I pretty much eat whatever I want, I have learned after VSG, that my tummy is happier with Proteins and veggies, so I choose those first, before any junk. Junk food is not as appealing as it was before surgery.

I drink full half/half in my coffee, snack on nuts, cottage cheese for bkfst, turkey/ham or tuna for lunch, and maybe the same for dinner or I might heat something up (Soup or beans/cheese).

Had zero fat guidelines to follow, and only worried about carbs/protein during my losing stage. The only low-fat/fat free food I ate was non-fat greek plain yogurt, and I ate 2% cheese because I developed slight lactose intolerance post-sleeve. I ate lean meats, and really didn't eat a lot of fat-laden foods even during my losing stage, and I super low carbed it with no more than 30gr of carbs per day. Our bodies need fat, and when I was eating such small quantities, my nutritionists (all 3 of them) agreed along with my surgeon that as long as I stuck with lean meats, green veggies, that I would be fine. I guess it worked. I never had cholesterol issues pre-op even at 270lbs, but my bad cholesterol dropped into even more "normal range" and my good cholesterol went up because I started eating lean fish even though I hated it pre-op, but my surgeon insisted I at least try to incorporate it 3-4 times a week.

When I lost my gallbladder, I had to go non/low fat, and despised it because I hated the fat that I could taste the additional sugar/sodium added to it. But, once my gallblader came out (8months post-sleeve), I had no choice. I couldn't eat a lot of my normal foods, and I felt like crap.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches