Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any November 2010 Sleevers

CONGRATULATIONS on your current success. I am starting my third week post-op. The mushy foods stage. I am NOT looking forward to pureed meat. Any suggestions on how to get through this? Unfortunately I have not been as successful with my weight loss. I retained a lot of fluids after my surgery. I am only now beginning to shed my excess fluids. I hope things pick up soon for me.

pre-op weight 333.4 lbs

day of surgery 316.6 lbs

current weight 314.4 lbs

Oh wow...I had the worst itchy stomach too and small red bumps around only one of my incisions. The doctor said that's all part of the normal healing process. But now that I think about it, since I took the bandages off that one incision site, the itchy's are gone...hmmm. Odd that it'd only happen in one spot.

I was sleeved on the 29th and went back to work yesterday. So far so good, but did have to take a couple of breaks and rest and took 2 shots of pain medication. I had stopped taking the pain meds but didn't want to wait in case the pain got worse. I feel better and better every day but I know I'm not getting in enough Protein and just dread the hair loss! I have super curly hair and have heard that when hair grows back, it tends to come back as a different texture. Water is also pretty narly right now. I tried Crystal Light but that didn't do much for the taste, what helps is making sure it's very, very cold and adding a little bit of cranberry juice.

I tried pushing myself too fast on what food I could eat, I thought since the Dr. said it was okay to eat the next stage that I'd be okay as long as I chewed my food really well. I ended up feeling kinda queasy and gassy, so I've gone back to eating pureed food.

A problem for me is taking my Calcium. I ordered from Bariatric Advantage and it's just so hard to get that chewable down. Ugh! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Laura

5'2, 41 y.o., sleeved by Dr. Wallace, Suburban Surgical Care

310 before starting pre-op diet

294 day of surgery weight

274 currently

:P :P

CONGRATULATIONS on your current success. I am starting my third week post-op. The mushy foods stage. I am NOT looking forward to pureed meat. Any suggestions on how to get through this? Unfortunately I have not been as successful with my weight loss. I retained a lot of fluids after my surgery. I am only now beginning to shed my excess fluids. I hope things pick up soon for me.

pre-op weight 333.4 lbs

day of surgery 316.6 lbs

current weight 314.4 lbs

Hi...thank you for the congratulations and I'm glad to hear that the Water weight is coming off. Rejoice!! :P I'm not sure how many times you're eating but while I was in the hospital, the nurses explained that I should be eating every two hours for a total of 6x a day. This way the frequency of eating even 2 ounces of food would hopefully trick our bodies to NOT go into starvation mode. Perhaps that's something you can try?

Since I can now eat mushies, I'm eating 3x instead of 6x, since it makes it easier for me to get more Water. I find that I'm really, really thirsty and have been trying to get about 64 oz of water a day. I can relate about the pureed meats since I have a 15 month old daughter, I remember how gross the pureed meats looked. What I've done instead is to puree regular food using my Magic Bullet. Yesterday, I had some cooked chicken with lipton broccoli & cheese rice blended in the bullet for a short bit and heated that up and I was able to get down a couple of ounces without feeling sick or burping. Cottage cheese and organic applesauce has been good too but be sure to chew up the lumps well. I love Beans, and found that I can eat those too mixed with a little philly cheese for flavoring. I just have to strain the skins off.

Have fun experimenting and please let me know how things are going for you. We started off at very similar weights and were sleeved a day apart so I'd love to stay in touch and Celebrate your success milestones.

Laura