Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is going ON!!!

So I've been ranting about this for awhile now; I went on "high" calories (800) for awhile and thought I had found the sweet spot, losing a pound every two days like clockwork. Then I finally get in touch with my nut, tell her what I'm doing, only to have her tell me that I really should be at 600 or less like I was. She completely ignored the data in front of her, that I was barely losing a pound a week at 600 and at 800 was losing almost 4 pound a week. But, being the dutiful good girl that I am, I went back to 600. I IMMEDIATELY started to gain weight!! It has been 3 days of around 600 and I have GAINED a pound and a half. I take daily Miralax so it's not a BM issue. WTF!!!!!!!! W!! T!! F!!

Now I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid that this is a backlash to my high calories a week ago and am gaining as a result, I just don't know what to do. My surgeon is MIA (in the colloquial sense, not militarily), my nut is not listening to me - HELP ME VST, YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE!!!!

I would say do what works for you. We are all different. Your nut has guidelines for the "majority" but if it works for you, I say go for it. We are talking about 200 calories here. 600 sounds very low & within those guidelines, hard to get proper nutrition.

I would also go after that MIA surgeon - he/she should be available even after the check has cleared the bank.

I agree with the others... do what is right for you... and put this in the mix... 800 cals isn't HIGH!!! I am between 700 - 900 daily on average!! You gotta do what is right for you!

How long are you post op?

ok we are all different! journal everything to make sure it's not Water wt from the time of month etc. I just seen my NUT for my 6 week post op after showing her my print out from livestrong.com, she told me to increase my calories to 800-1000 and to start drinking 100% fruit 16-24 oz day for 3 days, "to get me out of ketosis! and that I should be eating at least 100 carbs daily" I barely can eat 500 Cals, and 23 carbs at this point, there is no way I told her. She said and this is quote "I need to work on stretching my pouch" OMG!! Ummm my quote and as nice as I could be "no thank you, that's what got me here!" My point, they have guidelines and will tell you to do what their text book tells you. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, I KNOW I AM! GOOD LUCK!

Anytime I eat lower than 1000 calories, I stall. The past two days I've eaten 1000-1100 calories/100 carbs/40-50 fat/100 Protein and I've lost a lb each day. I can tell you though it is SOOOO hard to eat 1000 calories.

But I also feel better when I eat this many calories. The other day i dipped down to 700 and I was tired and kind of loopy. Also I woke up at 3am very hungry and I refused to eat so i ended up with heartburn.

I now do a slimfast Protein Drink with an additional scoop of whey Protein before bed and I dont wake up with being hungry.

Do whats best for you. Those nutritionists always spit out the guidelines. Its not individual.

She said and this is quote "I need to work on stretching my pouch"

Oh. My. GOD. Stretching? Your "pouch"?? (Which she apparently doesn't understand you don't even have?)

I've said it a dozen times and I believe it more strongly all the time, hearing things like this (and Globetrotter's issues): I'm firmly convinced that these so-called "nutritionists" are a bunch of freaking morons.

Oh. My. GOD. Stretching? Your "pouch"?? (Which she apparently doesn't understand you don't even have?)

I've said it a dozen times and I believe it more strongly all the time, hearing things like this (and Globetrotter's issues): I'm firmly convinced that these so-called "nutritionists" are a bunch of freaking morons.

Stacy160, This was my first time ever talking with the NUT and I am really starting to believe like you! It comes down to you know your body best.

I totally agree with what everyone has said -- my nut told me that I should be eating breads and pastas so that I "will get used to them again." That's what got me here in the first place -- I don't need, don't want, don't desire to each that S*&t again! I want to lose weight and be healthy. Now, if later on I decide that I can start adding in more carbs, fine. But right now, if it's not from the ground (i.e., fruit, etc.) I'm not eating it. I'm sticking to what I know is working for me -- lots of Protein, lots of Water, exercise and a few carbs so I don't get loopy.

I think that we are all pretty educated about what works and what doesn't -- we gotta be our own best advocates -- if we don't stick up for ourselves who will?

Hugs!! :)

I agree with everyone else too. 800 calories is not a lot. It's not like 1500 or 2000 calories.

If you were losing with 800 calories, go back to that and reevaluate if you start to stall.

I have my theory about nutritionists: if they've never been "fat" they don't know sh*&, you cannot know just by reading, you have to have been through it yourself. I'm sure my Nutritionist used to be overweight at least, because she just completely gets how I feel, and she says I should listen to my body and do what works for me, with her blessing of course! I count myself very lucky to have her looking after me :P

OMG she wants to help you stretch your pouch...uhhh huge clue she isn't qualified to work with a bariatric surgical patient. NOBODY needs to live on 600 calories a day...NOBODy!

I think those "guidelines" are just that, GUIDELINES, not set in stone, and each patient's body works differently. You are also in a different environment, and need to tailor your post-op losing guidelines that work for you. I've gone through 4 nuts, and only really clicked with one. The other 3 wanted me to carb it up to 100grams of carbs, and I looked at them and said "you've lost your mind". I trust my medical professionals, but I also know my body, and myself better than any statistical data that they've compiled.

I was told to never eat over 1200 calories a day or I'd gain. Well obviously that didn't work, I dropped down to 119lb at one point, and have to consume a minimum of 1500-2000 calories a day just to maintain. I slip below 1500 calories for a couple of days, and I'm back to dropping 2-3 pounds in 4-5 days. So, the 1200 calorie rule does not apply to me.

Yeah ... so it has now been 5 days of this 600-615 cals and the only weight I've lost is 1/3 of a pound that I'm sure is just from daily Miralax use ...

As for my surgeon - he didn't just leave me hanging, he has disappeared FROM HIS PRACTICE. They are being very close-mouthed about it all but suffice it to say, there's some s*** going down at their practice. Completely startling considering this man is considered one of the best in the world at VSG and has (to put it beyond mildly) a thriving practice.

cals - 600-615

Protein - 80-85

fat - 23-25

carbs - 10-15

exercise - 30 min brisk walking treadmill, 3.0 speed, 3.0 incline

I'm afraid this stall/gain is a delayed reaction to the last time I ate "alot" 800-850 cals last week. Afraid to do anything!!!

Bump it back up to 800-900 calories a day (which is still extremely low) and see what happens.... bet ya anything the weight starts coming off again. ;)