Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months until surgery, struggling with pre-op diet

So I received the call last week that I hav a surgery date of 12/27/10. :D

BUT Im having a really big problem losing pre-op weight. I exercise about 20-30 min 3-4 days per week, but my main problem is that I do not restrict my portion sizes. Just today I had 5!!! pieces of pizza for dinner. I know this is a humongous no-no but I can't seem to break my old habits, even with my date 2 months away! HELP! I am not a picky eater so I can eat veggies as much as anything else, I just have trouble with keeping healthy foods available and cooking them. Is this just an excuse or what? I was told by the surgeon to eat 1 Protein Shake and 2 meals a day but Im having trouble doing even that! How did anyone else work through this mental sabotage???

:blink:

Thanks!!!!

I didn't have an official pre-op diet but I put myself on a self-made version of one. My strategy was to just cut out one bad thing a week. To ween myself off these bad habits. And then just forced myself to stick to it knowing post op there would be no choice. So one week I would say good bye to fast food. The next ice cream/sweets. Etc....

How much do you need to lose? two months will creep up pretty fast... perhaps set small goals, use a food journal... I use fitday.com. Those five pieces of pizza really hit you in the face when you have to write them down and look at the calories come up! I have to keep the same weight for 3 months, and even that is hard. I account for everything...try to keep it at 1600 cals and exercise 4 days a week. Maybe before you go out for something that is so tempting, eat at home first... like a Protein shake...just to take the edge off. Perhaps you feel like its a last meal? I have that feeling sometimes too... but everyone keeps telling me that you will be able to eat anything later on... just smaller portions. You can do it!

So I received the call last week that I hav a surgery date of 12/27/10. :D

BUT Im having a really big problem losing pre-op weight. I exercise about 20-30 min 3-4 days per week, but my main problem is that I do not restrict my portion sizes. Just today I had 5!!! pieces of pizza for dinner. I know this is a humongous no-no but I can't seem to break my old habits, even with my date 2 months away! HELP! I am not a picky eater so I can eat veggies as much as anything else, I just have trouble with keeping healthy foods available and cooking them. Is this just an excuse or what? I was told by the surgeon to eat 1 Protein shake and 2 meals a day but Im having trouble doing even that! How did anyone else work through this mental sabotage???

:blink:

Thanks!!!!

How long is your pre-op diet? Mine was 2 weeks before surgery and I just stayed away from all things bad for me. It might have been easier since I don't work and could stay in the house all day where I wasn't tempted by anything. I cleared out all the no-no foods and basically forbid my boyfriend to bring an in the house. If he wanted ice cream, he had to go out and buy a cone. I also kept reminding myself that the last thing I want is to get to surgery date, get opened up, then be told by my surgeon that, sorry, but my liver is too big for them to see around.

How much do you need to lose? two months will creep up pretty fast... perhaps set small goals, use a food journal... I use fitday.com. Those five pieces of pizza really hit you in the face when you have to write them down and look at the calories come up! I have to keep the same weight for 3 months, and even that is hard. I account for everything...try to keep it at 1600 cals and exercise 4 days a week. Maybe before you go out for something that is so tempting, eat at home first... like a Protein shake...just to take the edge off. Perhaps you feel like its a last meal? I have that feeling sometimes too... but everyone keeps telling me that you will be able to eat anything later on... just smaller portions. You can do it!

The surgeon told me that as long as I dont gain weight Im fine, but to exercise 4x a week and eat 2 meals and 1 shake ONLY, so Im assuming he expects that I am going to lose some weight. Thank for the advice, I am starting a food journal and I have a calorie king book so Im gonna use that too

:D

How long is your pre-op diet? Mine was 2 weeks before surgery and I just stayed away from all things bad for me. It might have been easier since I don't work and could stay in the house all day where I wasn't tempted by anything. I cleared out all the no-no foods and basically forbid my boyfriend to bring an in the house. If he wanted ice cream, he had to go out and buy a cone. I also kept reminding myself that the last thing I want is to get to surgery date, get opened up, then be told by my surgeon that, sorry, but my liver is too big for them to see around.

My goal is to lose 15-20 lbs, Ive been exercising but the food restriction is hard for me. Im gonna work on it!! Thanks! :D

I know how you feel. I've been given the insurmountable task of losing 30 lbs before they will schedule me a date. I was sent home with a large bag of Protein Powder and told to drink 2 shakes a day plus a lean meat/veggie at night. If I could do that, I would not weigh 395 lbs right now. However, I realize at this point that i have to find some inner strength and do it. I know that even the surgery is just a "tool" as everyone says and I think I have to prove to myself that I do indeed have it in me to do this. If I can prove to myself that I can fight off 30 lbs wihtout surgery then by the time I have it, I will be on my way. This was my first day which ended in defeat and a big cheat. Tomorrow I will just go at it again. I'm not even scheduling surgery until I've got 30 lbs off of me. So for me this is war! lol...