Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering the Sleeve

I am been doing research on the Band and found this site via LapBandTalk.com. It wasn't until I met with my surgeon that I really started to consider the sleeve instead. I've started doing some more research and I am now leaning more towards the sleeve then the band. Then today, I saw another post on LBT about how Tricare wouldn't cover the sleeve so I'm back to the unknown at this present time but if I can get approved then I do think the sleeve is the way I want to go!

DH and I are both getting surgery done. He is retired Army (just recently, because of a medical board) so we have Tricare Prime and are being seen at an MTF. I have seen the surgeon, got my lab work done, chest x-rays and pulmanary test and on Wed. I have my psy consult and then the next week internal medicine. Things are moving right along at a very rapid speed (I LOVE the MTF here) and I am so ready for the surgery! DH starts everything this week on his process.

Hi Dawn! Welcome!

I found my way here through LBT, too. My husband is active duty Army and we also have Tricare Prime.

Here's the deal: Tricare does not cover VSG. They don't plan to start covering it for at least another year, and unfortunately that healthcare overhaul might help other people out but it's shafting military, VA and medicare coverage. So, don't plan on the VSG being Tricare covered any time soon.

However, several MTFs are doing the procedure. I'd contact your local MTF and see if they do the procedure. If they don't see if any of the facilities within driving distance do the surgery and see if you can get it done there instead. There are a handful of folks here that had the VSG done at a MTF, but that isn't the same as Tricare covering the procedure. It's done at the MTF free of charge but it doesn't get filed through Tricare, which is how they can cover the procedure. Usually there is a wait list for this type of thing, but to have it done for free it's probably worth the wait and hassle.

I'm overseas so having it done at a MTF wasn't an option. Once we found out that our next assignment is also overseas and that it's remote, I opted to self-pay. I financed through USAA at a great rate and had my surgery done in Mexico by Dr. Aceves. I've had no troubles with Tricare covering my aftercare, acid reducer prescription, etc. I did have to draw a diagram of my new stomach for my PCM, however, as she'd never even heard of VSG!

I almost got the band instead because it's covered, but I am SO glad I didn't. Honestly - read a little more on this board and search out the term "revision" and see what you find. It really is true that there are problems with the band. On LBT you'll find a lot of short timers thrilled with their band, but very few folks more than a year out still loving banded life. I'd never in a million years get a band, not after the stories I've read. I have no regrets about financing my surgery and choosing a better option.

Good luck whatever you decide. If you have questions that you think I might be able to answer, feel free to PM me anytime. Tiffykins is also a military spouse and she's a fantastic resource. I highly recommend you search out her story here on this forum because she's also a band to sleeve revision.

~Cheri

I am going to an MTF so hopefully I won't have any issues!!! I have my psyc consult tomorrow and internal med on the 20th and meet with the surgeon again on the 4th of Nov. I am hoping that we might be able to get it done before Thanksgiving but we'll see!

I have been reading through here and online about the sleeve and I can say that now I am sure, this is what I want! YAY!!

Hello my name is Gloria and I live in Augusta, Georgia. I don't know why Tricare won't pay for the sleeve for you when it did for me. I had the surgery done 5 April 2010 at Ft. Gordon and am happy to say that I have had no problems at all. I've lost 54 lbs so far, I started at 214 am now at 160 with a goal of 150. I was originally opting for the band but when I got here in Augusta and went to Ft. Gordon the doctors there recommended the sleeve, which I had heard nothing about. I had read in the newsletter before I left Ft. Hood Tx that Tricare was paying for wls. So when I got here I immediately went to Ft. Gordon with the intention of getting the lap band, but as I said when I got there for orientation, the doctors there suggested the sleeve. The only thing I had to pay for I think was my food was came to about $40.00.

Hello my name is Gloria and I live in Augusta, Georgia. I don't know why Tricare won't pay for the sleeve for you when it did for me. I had the surgery done 5 April 2010 at Ft. Gordon and am happy to say that I have had no problems at all. I've lost 54 lbs so far, I started at 214 am now at 160 with a goal of 150. I was originally opting for the band but when I got here in Augusta and went to Ft. Gordon the doctors there recommended the sleeve, which I had heard nothing about. I had read in the newsletter before I left Ft. Hood Tx that Tricare was paying for wls. So when I got here I immediately went to Ft. Gordon with the intention of getting the lap band, but as I said when I got there for orientation, the doctors there suggested the sleeve. The only thing I had to pay for I think was my food was came to about $40.00.

Tricare only covers the sleeve at military treatment facilities and hospitals. It's not a covered service with Tricare standard nor with a civilian surgeon/program on Tricare prime (such as how I am enrolled with Tricare prime). It's not a covered procedure by Medicare, and it won't be until Medicare fully covers it.

So, getting sleeve approval is not an issue if you are seeking a sleeve at a military hospital. If a patient is looking for a civilian surgeon, Tricare is NOT going to cover it. I've been round and round with Tricare in all 4 regions of coverage. Appeals are useless, and even congressional complaints and filings are disregarded.

Now having figured this all out that yes I do WANT the sleeve and not the band and that I shouldn't have any issues getting it done since I am being seen at an MTF I feel Really Good about all this!! Yes, I'm still nervous and a little scared but EXCITED to embark on this new journey, hopfully a journey to healthiness! LOL

Welcome! I am not military, but wanted to say that my husband and I are also doing this together! :thumbs_up:

We are using our medical insurance, but have to pay over $5K in high ded. first then 10% on everything after we hit ded. My DH is about 2 months behind me in the process and all of my stuff was turned over to insurance yesterday so I'm waiting for approval and hoping to have surgery THIS month! We did the same thing, started out going for the band because my initial research on the sleeve didn't indicate that it was a stand-alone procedure, everything I found said it was part of a 2-part surgery and I immediately didn't want 2 surgeries! Thank God for this board and all the advice that the wonderful people here have given. I think it saved us both from getting that terrible band! :teeth_smile:

I think you are making a wise choice to go with the sleeve. I don't know what I was thinking puttig a device in my body that doesn't belong there. I am in pain now from broken tubing in my body. I can't wait for my revision. Good luck with your journey!

I have had the sleeve back in December 2008 & have lost 80lbs so far I didn't have any complications after the surgery may I add that the only reason I haven't lost all the weight is because the sleeve has a small tricky side..It is the best decision I've made in my life! Thus far I had the surgery when I was 21..I'm 22 now..a November baby....okay well first off it's a life changing thing...& unlike most people my insurance did not cover it...so my mother paid the $20,000+ straight out of her own pocket- no payment plan- no credit card... So that i could have the

surgery very thankful since my health was going in a

direction in which I was told by the time I was 30yrs old...

My health wouldn't be too great, so what I wanted to speak

on was the sleeve.. Alcohol consumption for me if I get

enough in my system I'll say 1or 2 drinks... "smaller

stomach makes you come into a state I don't care to be in

alot faster "drunk" so me me it tricks my stomach / my

senses and I am able to eat more then I normal eat,.. ALL

the bad foods chips, Cookies candy, the SOFTER foods I

can consumer alot more of that if I dont eat my 2-3 small

meals a day..meat MUST be chewed well...I seem to do

better with chicken then steak.. Remember reduced

stomach means reduced acid in the stomach which helps

break the food down..a small steak is fine... & I mean

Small!..so now that I'm back on track with the weight loss I

have no regrets about the surgery, I have 3 spots on my

stomach were they cut me.."microscopic" so no major

Horrific scaring...heals with time & proper care+ a scar

cream... if you allow it to be like I did which

caused my small set back..in me only losing 80lbs is

Snacks, junk food the Softer the food(mush mush) the more your stomach can hold but don't let bread fool you that's one soft food I avoid with a meal because it swells up and makes you full before you even get your dinner "well with me it does" anyways I believe you get the idea....acid

reflux> I take my nexium once a day...skinny people have

acid reflux so if the surgery doesn't totally eliminate it..then it will reduce it alot.. I've noticed foods with too much of a

kick don't sit well in the stomach.. Gives me a burning

feeling sometimes it just depends.. Other then that...I love

love love the sleeve, it is a life long change.. Ask yourself

this if people are going to lose the weight and then remove

the band...and HOPE to remain thinner, why get the band

At all especially if they say food can slip through,get stuck&

you never really feel full? what kind of mess is that! I

thought that was the point to make you eat LESS& BE

FULL(really) and all by consuming smaller portions...with

the sleeve there isn't any trickery when it comes to the full feeling "except maybe when consuming alcohol like I said earlier" otherwise when YOU feel full, you are full(.)And

the backlash for trying to push through that full feeling is

you have to throw up plan and simple if you have tried for

years to lose weight like I did.. Go with something that will

help you benefit you, and actually give you good results..

Instead of being pumped or undone, or redone again.. For

those that might not know They sleeve was/ is used on

patients that were over 350+ lbs I believe ..& was the first

step in prepping patients to get the gastric bypass by allowing them to lose weight( 380+ weight is too high a risk when doing such a major surgery like the gastric bypass) .. But turns out the sleeve made a lot of those patients lose a good amount of weight... Thus the sleeve became one more option in weight loss surgery.....