Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on Surgery against my Will

I have now worked up the guts to complain to my surgeon and to the hospital that the Anesthesilogist works at. I have zero intention of complaining against my surgeon as he did what he was hired to do. The person I hold responsible for having this done against what I wanted will have a formal complaint filed against him.

I intend to consult my attorney in regard to having formal assault charges filed criminally against this Anes. because he drugged me against my will after I clearly told him I did not want to have this surgery and I wanted to be released and go home. He chose to override my wishes so I will chose to make him pay both professionally and personally.

I will keep you posted.

Carrie I wish you all the best. I think at least making the complaint will be the first step in feeling like you are taking charge and moving forward.

You signed a consent form for surgery and anesthesia. You were probably given some drug before you were even taken to the surgical suite?

I am guessing you will not be able to prosecute based on your signed consent, and the fact that you may not have been in your "right mind" by the time you were in the surgical suite.

Making a complaint is definitely your right, but I am not sure you are going to get any $$$ out of this situation.

Please see someone about your anger and the trauma though. It isn't healthy for you.

I don't want $$$ I want him to know what he has done and what I am stuck dealing with.

As far as not being in my "right mind" he did cover his ass by by giving me Versed. He said at the time it was for my Epilepsy to avoid me having a seizure. I have had Versed on many occasions and it has zero effects on me, I have been known when having a spinal injection in the past to talk to the nurse about purses and stuff and remember the entire conversation all the way through recovery. I told him before he gave me the Versed it had ZERO effect on me.

So yes, I understand legally I maybe screwed because of the dose he gave me, but I'm not asking for a law suit. I just want him to know the hurt and misery he has caused by staying on his schedule for the day instead of listening to the wishes of the patient.

Edited by Carrie
added something

Honestly Carrie, you don't cease to amaze me, you are going to try and sue the Anaesthesiologist??? Did you not do any pshychological tests before having this surgery? Did you or did you not sign a consent form? Did the Anaesthesiologist not come to see you before the operation was performed before any drugs were given to you? At least here in England you need to go through certain psychological/personality tests to even be considered a candidate for this surgery, and the surgeon and anaesthesiologist come to you hospital bed on the day you are admitted for the operation to make sure that you're still willing to get rid of more than half of your stomach and that you understand all that this entitles. I would be amazed if in the States they didn't do the same. As I said before but you deleted my comment, I honestly have not got any intention of offending you, but I think you are just so bitter about the choice you made and you're trying to blame anyone, first it was your husband and now the Anaesthesiologist! As an intelligent adult you should be able to hold yourself responsible of your actions and your desicions. I know I'm not popular on this forum anyway, but I couldn't read what you said and say nothing.

I guess I did not read the original post that this refers to.

What happened?

I guess I did not read the original post that this refers to.

What happened?

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/general-sleeve-surgery-discussion/8797-my-situation.html

Go for it. I had an incident back in 03 where my Dr thought I was there to get pain meds so he refused to see my for the pain in my leg. I had and ankle break the month previous. My chest started to hurt and I called his office and then I could hardly breathe. He quit taking my calls and told me "If you are really in that much pain go to the ER" and I did. By the time I got there I was coughing up blood. I had a pulmonary embolism and he pushed aside every common symptom. I was in the hospital for 8 days after that and his nurse, the one who saw me in his office, snuck in and told me "If you want to sue, I will be there for you. The way he treated you was uncalled for and they have already ordered your records destroyed." So yeah, unless you take legal action some people think they can do whatever they want.

My main question is were you happy living with the band? I think the majority of your anger and resentment lie with your family pushing in to doing it before you were emotionally ready because it needed to happen at a specific time to accommodate "life happenings".

I know your mad at the anesthesiologist, and angry at the situation, but I still do not see resolution being found until you confront the real problem that you've outlined in your previous posts. I'm not saying you do not have a case, but I'm surprised that you don't have enough guts to deal with the issues with your family. You'll never see the doctor again, you'll never have him prep you for another surgery, but every day for the rest of your life you have to wake up to a husband that essentially guilted you into having surgery when you weren't ready for it.

I recall specifically your post on OH when your friend that used the same surgeon wanted to know about the HIPAA violation. You practically begged her to not say anything until after you had surgery so you could live a normal life and be somewhat human was the jest of your posts. You wanted this surgery, you were miserable with the band, and even admitted that you were so tired of not feeling "human".

So, I'm extremely confused as to why the anger is being projected on the anesthesiologist entirely. You're not willing to confront your husband and family because you don't want to cause a rift. Your sitting silently allowing this anger and resentment brew, and unfortunately, suing the anesthesiologist isn't going to heal those wounds.

I do honestly wish you the best, but I honestly don't see you being completely happy until you take a hard, cold look at the people you're really angry with, along with the medical staff that treated you unfairly and poorly. I'm not negating your case with the anesthesiologist, but I think you're only seeing forest, and not all the little trees in the big picture on this one.

I sincerely appreciate any and all help and or support I have gotten from this forum at one time. It is very hard to relay one's complete feelings, emotions and issues on any forum not just this one. With that being said I am reminded why the idea of a break sounded so good. To be honest with each of you the only thing I feel I have in common with anyone one here is a lack of a whole stomach. I continue to wish you guys the best.

I sincerely appreciate any and all help and or support I have gotten from this forum at one time. It is very hard to relay one's complete feelings, emotions and issues on any forum not just this one. With that being said I am reminded why the idea of a break sounded so good. To be honest with each of you the only thing I feel I have in common with anyone one here is a lack of a whole stomach. I continue to wish you guys the best.

Your posts just seemed scattered Carrie. I know you are hurting, and believe my heart breaks for you 100%. I honestly do want you to find joy, and happiness, but it's all confusing because your anger/emotions seem to be all over the place.

I wish you success, and happiness in the future. You do deserve it, and I wish nothing but the very best for you.

i'm confused as well. i think you need to deal with the anger you have with your family...

i remember reading that you tried to cancel the surgery a week before... if you knew you didn't want it then, why did you go to the hospital? i'm sorry you are going though this - i really am. i know you were excited to have the band out and the sleeve done from the several emails you sent me about getting my surgeon's info.

again, i hope you find peace with everything. i wish you the best and hope one day you can let go of the anger and live a happy life.

Therapy can give us the strength to stand up to the bullies in our lives, whether they are doctors, ourselves, or husbands. It is not uncommon for abuse victims to have disproportionate responses to everyone except their abuser, since they are not "allowed" to get angry at the abuser, they instead get angry at everyone else.

Edited by Globetrotter