Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know what to drink/eat during liquid diet stage!! HELP!

Hi everyone! :) I am 11 days post op and am still having difficulty with my liquid diet. I am suppose to be taking low sodium, low in fat Soups. I tried purchasing one low in sodium and low fat soups from the market but they are very disgusting so I decided to once in a while buy chinese soups. I really love Wonton Soups but my fear is that they have a lot of salt and that they are not healthy. Can anyone give me any good recipes that they had while they are on their liquid diet? It would be real helpful... Thanks!!

I used the bouillon Soups, chicken broths from the boxes, cans, and bottles salty yes, but yumm. I had sugar free popsicles, Bariatric Advantage Protein Shakes with added extracts or sugarfree syrups, yogurt drinks, crystal light, sugar free koolaid, . . i think the important part right now is getting your liquids and Protein in and not worry too much about the other stuff. . i'm not saying pour salt into everything, but why shouldn't your "food" taste good? haven't we endured enough of that before the WLS????? If you suffer from blood pressure problems, then don't add salt this wouldn't be good. . . if you suffer from cholestrol problems then don't add fats, use your common sense. . .but don't deprive yourself at the liquid stage. .hope this helps a bit

Hi everyone! :001_rolleyes: I am 11 days post op and am still having difficulty with my liquid diet. I am suppose to be taking low sodium, low in fat Soups. I tried purchasing one low in sodium and low fat soups from the market but they are very disgusting so I decided to once in a while buy chinese soups. I really love Wonton Soups but my fear is that they have a lot of salt and that they are not healthy. Can anyone give me any good recipes that they had while they are on their liquid diet? It would be real helpful... Thanks!!

I find it a little interesting that every doctor has a different "take" on the diet before/after surgery. My doc wanted 7 days of Clear Liquids before surgery. I've read of others who only do 3 or 4 days of clear liquid before surgery. I've read others who are eating "soft solids" less than a week after surgery. My doc takes the conservative approach and I have 2 weeks post-op of "full liquids" before moving onto the softer solids.

From what I understand, getting your liquids is the most important part, and Protein a close second. Other than that, the main goal is to "not hurt anything" while you are healing. I think that means salt & fat & sugar in "moderation" - at least during this period of the meal plan.

I'm currently "eating" (in my full liquids phase): frozen Protein shakes (can't stand them just cold, have to be <really cold>, no-sugar-added yogurt (100cal), Cream of "whatever" Soup (just add a little lowry's season salt and it tastes pretty good), sugar-free popsicles, crystal lite, and cream of wheat w/ brummels and brown & sugar (I really should go to the store and find a sugar substitute).

It was my brother's birthday yesterday and we went out as an extended family to a Chinese restaurant. It was funny & difficult watching them all eat a ton while I had my "cup" of eggdrop Soup (and even then, I didn't eat the egg, just the soup part). The social aspects of the VSG are going to be the toughest for me, I'm guessing.

Not sure if it's cheating (I'll have to ask my nut), but once this week I went to Zuppas and got some take-out soup, brought it home, blended it up, and ate that. Boy was it yummy...

Good luck!

sounds good to me... I have been living off of P F Chang's strained Soup for the last week and will be getting some more tonight. :confused1: Amazing how your perspective can change in a week. I would Celebrate a mushroom right now! haha : D

I had Tomato Soup and blended in cottage cheese to put some Protein in it.

There is K2 from kellogs Protein drinks that aren't bad but don't have much Protein in them.

Soy Slender is good but again, not much protein in there either. It's not in the fridge, it's on the grocery shelf.

I put unflavored Protein powder in anything sugar free I could find and I tolerated it just fine, but other people say it tastes funny.

If you have access to a Vitamin Shoppe, they should sell the nectar products. Those are good and have much more protein in them.

Not sure if it's cheating (I'll have to ask my nut), but once this week I went to Zuppas and got some take-out Soup, brought it home, blended it up, and ate that. Boy was it yummy...

I had a chance to check with my Drs office and they sanctioned Zuppas w/ a blender (and straining to make sure there aren't any chunks in it). The nut said she recommended the chicken noodle through a blender.

Keep in mind that is is for a "full liquid" diet, not clear liquid... if you're still on clear, stick to the broths, sf popsicles, etc.

I have found that strained hot and sour from PF Changs is still amazing! Especially with a few dashs of mongolian fire oil hehe.. as a matter of fact it is time for dinner... *heads to the microwave* :)

I have found that strained hot and sour from PF Changs is still amazing! Especially with a few dashs of mongolian fire oil hehe.. as a matter of fact it is time for dinner... *heads to the microwave* :)

I'm going to have to go drop by there and pickup an order or two!

since you can't drink for an hour after eating, how do you put out the "fire" I'm envious

Ok I dont really understand, the clear liquid phase, is suposed to be anything you can see through

But then everyone is saying that they can have Protein Drinks which is vanella or chocolate, are they concedured clear liquid? Also, you can have cool aid sf of course, and that is ok also?

I just need to be for sure before I get my sleeve

Sorry for all the mispelled words

Thanks

That is a perfect idea!!! I was dreading the thought of broth cause I cant stand them eather but the top roman sounds good!

Thank you for that, so can you blend ice in your Protein Shake for the 1st couple of weeks?

I was wondering cause it makes it a little thick.

Thank for repling,

[Thank you for that, so can you blend ice in your Protein shake for the 1st couple of weeks?

I was wondering cause it makes it a little thick.

Thank for repling,

As far as I know, you can blend ice with anything. I just find that the thicker the drink, the harder it is for me to get down. Its much easier now, but the thicker Protein shakes do make me feel fuller.

I actually made flavored ice cubes, and put them into my crystal light so that i stays colder longer since it takes me about 90-120 min to get down the 12-16 oz bottle.