Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This will make you angry!!!

Hi all,

been looking and contributing to this thread on the BBC web site. Some of the people posting are the most horrible fascists. Do feel free to join in and put the boot in.

BBC - Have Your Say: Should obesity surgery be offered more widely on the NHS?

Enjoy.

Jane x

That annoying vocal minority makes many of us not tell anyone we're planning weight loss surgery. Although they may be 10% of the population, they rattle their jaw 200x more than anyone else about it, even though it's just their opinion.

Doug you are so right :thumbup:

Jane x

I find the ignorance of the general populace to be so revolting that for the sake of my own mental health today, I will avoid clicking that link. I already know what's gonna be said, anyway.

I haven't even read all the responses opinions but have an idea of what people are saying. It annoys me beyond belief because these people who are emiting irresponsible opinions don't know what they are saying. As if eat less and move more does the trick. There is extensive research suporting the fact that obesity is MULTIFACTORIAL, a combination of many things, and we, who tried everything, and most of us have prob been yo-yo dieting for most of our lives (I know I have), should know. Have you commented yet Jane on the BBC website?, I might in a while when (and if)I'm a bit calmer!

It's been on TV news radio all day as well, and the doctor on GMTV this morning first said one thing, (that bariatric surgery is a good way of saving money,) but the 2nd time he appeared he was kind of against it, it's a media hype thing in my opinion. So should they not treat skin cancer for patients who sunbathe like mad, or lung cancer for those who smoke???

It's been on TV news radio all day as well, and the doctor on GMTV this morning first said one thing, (that bariatric surgery is a good way of saving money,) but the 2nd time he appeared he was kind of against it, it's a media hype thing in my opinion. So should they not treat skin cancer for patients who sunbathe like mad, or lung cancer for those who smoke???

That's always been my "confusion" with people who are aghast that ?their? insurance pays for WLS but have no problem with smokers, sunbathers, texting drivers, drug abusers/alcoholics, etc. etc. etc. who don?t ?take care of themselves? using ?their? insurance to pay for the resulting health issues. ARRRRRRRRRRR

I would kill the arseholes on that forum if they were anywhere near me at the mo. Not a happy bunny here.

Jane x

Actually, the comments were not as bad as I expected. Yes, some of the writers were seriously ignorant and judgemental, but not all which I thought was encouraging. It is very difficult for some people to understand ANYTHING out of their own limited experience. Just because they don't have a weight problem, they think that those who do suffer from gluttony. We see the same thing with drug/alcohol addiction and poverty. It's simpler for these people to pass judgement than to realize the complexity of the issues involved. Thank goodness NHS is continuing to pay for WLS.

I don't blame you for being annoyed, Jane; it is annoying. I would like to submit the idea, however, that it could be much worse. I live in the US where there is no comprehensive coverage. I also live in AZ where the government is just plain mean-spirited. I could go into detail here but I don't want to start a political debate. Let me just say that I think they are fascist a-holes.

Perhaps you could use the forum to organize a posting/email campaign to the BBC and NHS about why covering the surgery IS reasonable.

It does infuriate me and we are having the similar issues in the USA. Insurance companies are lobbying to be able to exclude obese people from having any insurance coverage at all. There are many variations of what they want to do. But obesity is a disease. If they will pay for an addict to go to rehab, which is freakin expensive, why not an obese person to have surgery? It ends up saving the insurance companies so much money when we get healthy. UGH :tongue_smilie:

Jane, I would bet you that the nastiest of the comments were made by obese persons in a state of self-loathing. They are against coverage because they are so angry at themselves and think they don't deserve it. Anyone can hide behind a keyboard and say nasty things anonomously.

By the way, the British are still so much more polite than Americans! Even your most hotly-contested debates have an heir of sophitication and civility. :thumbup:

Jane, I would bet you that the nastiest of the comments were made by obese persons in a state of self-loathing. They are against coverage because they are so angry at themselves and think they don't deserve it. Anyone can hide behind a keyboard and say nasty things anonomously.

By the way, the British are still so much more polite than Americans! Even your most hotly-contested debates have an heir of sophitication and civility. :)

Hi Karen, funny you should say that! There are a smattering of people who have lost the weight through diet and who vehemently oppose surgery. I take comfort that there is a 90% chance that in a few years time they will be fat again, and probably fatter than they were. I have lost patience with hypocrits.

Re the polite English, there are other blogs like

Old Holborn

and

Guy Fawkes' blog of parliamentary plots, rumours and conspiracy

which would show that we can be just as impolite :thumbup:

I do enjoy my anti-establishment blogs, I don't agree with everything but it's good to see unsanitized rantings sometimes, it's so damn PC here.

Jane x

Whoaaa...Jane, I stand corrected. Too funny.

As a person who struggled for many years before I had the surgery, I was once like a lot of those people on the board. "I DON'T need surgery!!" Oh, how self-rightious I was. I only wish I didn't spend so many years of my life in denial, and had the surgery years before.

I'll agree the ones who lost weight will definately regain within a year or two as the odds are stacked against them, they are just too ignorant to see it.