Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

G*DD^mnit *&$@%+!!!!!

Yes, OMG, Holy Sh*t, It WAS really happening... until yesterday afternoon, the DAY before my scheduled surgery, when I was told that my EGD (endoscopy-done last Friday) showed some ulceration. After a back-and-forth of phone calls, emails, and faxes between the EGD doc, my surgeon (in NYC at the time), his scheduler, and the nurse practitioner, it was decided that my surgery is cancelled. Did I mention that all of this craziness was LESS THAN 24hrs BEFORE my actuall surgery? Did I mention that I have been on a THREE-WEEK liquid DIET????

By the time the RNP called me back for the final confirmation of what we then already knew, my husband and I were knee-deep in sushi trying to consol ourselves. I hadn't even eaten that day because all of this happened as we were on our way into the practice for my final weigh-in. The stress and sense of depression were overwhelming for both of us. Neither of us could even sleep well last night (I, not working today, slept until 1pm; he just got back from work and is napping like the dead).

The liquid diet, the emotional rollercoaster, the moodiness, irritability, stress, indecision, elation of finally making the decision and feeling good about it and ready to do it, the sobering and emotional task of making wills and advanced directives, the scheduling and rescheduling of both of our work.... and the bubble pops 20hrs before surgery.

So, here I am. I have a roof over my head, a hot handsome husband who loves and supports me, a good job that supports me, family, living in a beautiful part of the country, and now aware of health issues that never would have been detected and addressed this early had I not gone through all of this. I'm 11 lbs lighter with a new commitment to the gym, thanks to this hellish pre-op journey, and, after 1 month on Prilosec and a clean EGD, I can be cleared again for the VSG, a healthier surgical candidate than I was before.

So, as I sit here, feeling dazed and like I've been through a war, I'll try to remember all of those positives. I'm a lucky woman with a very luxurious disease given the predicament of 90% of the world's population, and I have the luxurious means to healthcare, also given the predicament of 90% of the world's population (including many right here in the USA). My plan is to suck it up, and stick to a healthy low fat diet, and get back to lifting weights (was too lethargic on the liquid diet), with the goal of being down 8 more lbs by the time of my next EGD. I'll keep coming to this forum, and I thank you all for listening and supporting and being a positive and extremely helpful part of this journey. I wish all of you the best in your journeys.

Edited by pcindy

You have a great attitude, I am sure that will get you through to the real surgery! Chin up!

Ahh sorry you had to go through all of that Cindy!!... Hang in there, you have a great attitude about it and are still moving forward! Please keep us posted about your journey.

WOW, I don't know if I would be handling this as well as you. I am so sorry this happened. I can only imagine the frustration. I hope you keep moving forward and not let this set you back anymore than it already has. Best of luck. Don't give up and keep us posted. ((((HUGS))))

I am so sorry for you. But you will make it through this! We will save a spot for you on the losers bench. Just don't give up. The Prilosec will work. I went through the same thing, but my doctor caught it a month before surgery, so I didn't have to go through the emotional rollercoaster you've been on. Best of luck.

WOW, I don't know if I would be handling this as well as you.

Hey, I don't know how well I'm handling it! Look at how bipolar my post sounds!! I'm up and down like pogo stick. Just trying to hang on! Thanks!:thumbdown:

UGH....That sucks giraffe balls!

At least you have a plan of action and know this is just a delay.

We're still saving a spot for you on the bench!

UGH....That sucks giraffe balls!

At least you have a plan of action and know this is just a delay.

We're still saving a spot for you on the bench!

ROTFL! In the words of Bart Simpson "it both sucks, AND blows!"

Yikes! That was the kind of thing I kept thinking would happen right up to the last minute(such an emotional time anyway), so sorry that it actually happened to you! Your great outlook will get you through all of this, I will be praying for you.

I'm so sorry you didn't get it!! Al that build up and then not going in... must suck bigtime.

But congrats on the sushi front - I bet it never tasted so good.....!!!

Good luck!

I'm really sorry Cindy. that does really suck. Keep coming to chat so we can cheer you on. You'll get that surgery soon.

That really does suck! Maybe we'll be sleeve buddies when our time comes. I wasn't that close but the first thing I did was have a REAL cup of coffee, not that decaffinated crap I've been drinking! LOL! Funny how we react to things. We'll hang in there...Carole:laugh0:

OMG! What a brutal experience!! On the bright side, though, I'm happy for you that you can still go through with it after you get that clean bill of health. I'll be watching and waiting to see your progression. I just got my own surgery date (3 weeks from Friday) and thought my pre-op liquid diet of 2 weeks was too long until I read your post! Best of luck on a speedy recovery and that clean EGD. And the others are right, you've got a GREAT attitude with this! :thumbup1:

:svengo:Wow, what a lot to take in a day!! I'm glad you shared this and loved how you got around to all the positive things you remembered you have and that you'll be healthier going into surgery. With such a positive outlook things will only get better. My philosophy is nothing happens by mistake. Not to say I like everything that comes my way but if I can live One day at a time, things always seem to come together exactly as they should be. I was scheduled for April and due to conflicts at work, they would not give me the time off then. But as usual it all worked out and I got sleeved in May. Hang in there, it's well worth the wait. Best of Luck(Maybe somewhere down the line we can meet, my Sister lives on Coronado) Sheryl:001_rolleyes: