Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last night i consumed some Jello and a couple yogurts over the course of the night, and before bed i had half a Protein Bar, chewed it very well. I felt fine, until 1am when i woke up extremely nauseated and with stomach pains like nothing i have ever experienced. I never went to sleep. I dry heeved many times throughout the night, took 3 Zofran, none of which worked, tried to sip on some Water, which only made me get more sick. I am in extreme pain as if my stomach is trying to explode, and have a stuck feeling in my throat. I feel like my stomach is having spasms. I am not sure what to do at this point, if this is normal or not, possibly reacting to the Protein bar. I have had them before and not had a problem as i get the soft and chewy kind. I am afraid that it is stuck. I am going on now on 0 hours of sleep and continuously sliming- it's awful- any suggestions please?? Should I go to the ER or is this just my stomach rebelling against a particular food? I am afraid i have done serious damage!! :)

Cant you call the emergency line at your doctor??? when something goes wrong with me thats what I do. The doctor on call would probably give you the best advice. If you have been in pain all night you might want to be looked at....good luck keep us posted!!

Like greeneyes, I suggest calling your surgeon and speaking to whichever bariatric surgeon is available. If this doesn't subside and you can not get help from your surgeon then if possible go to the ER where he performed your surgery...this way he can be contacted and consulted with. Please be well and keep us informed.

Oh Jillian, I don't have any better advice than above, but I feel for what you are going through! Please keep us updated on what is happening with you.

If I am remembering correctly, you were sleeved in TJ by Dr. A and you said that you have minimal opportunities for follow up care. If you aren't better by the time you get this reply, you need to go to the ER. None of us have the ability to tell you how eating a Protein bar might have affected your sleeve--particularly given the fact that it's been less than a month since your surgery.

Last night i consumed some Jello and a couple yogurts over the course of the night, and before bed i had half a Protein bar, chewed it very well.

Hopefully you are doing better now.

Please don't take this as slamming you - I mean it with the best of intentions. But sweetie ... that is a lot of food to be eating so soon after surgery. (At four months out, I don't think I could even consume Jello, a couple of yogurts and 1/2 a Protein bar in the course of an evening.) It could be that your stomach is rebelling from the volume you've pushed into it

while it is still swollen and healing.

If you aren't better ... Do you have a coordinator or number to call for your surgeon? If not, you should consider going to the ER. You could have some issues that need medical attention.

Best of luck. Let us know how you are doing.

I second (fifth?) all of the recommendations. Attempt to get ahold of Dr. A, but if you can't, and the pain continues, seriously consider going to the ER. Explain in the ER that you are a vertical sleeve gastrectomy patient and when you had your surgery.

Today, I would limit anything you consume (if you consume anything at all) to Water and liquids (not solids, not slushy, but liquids only). Consume them very slowly and in moderation (making sure to get enough water).

I second Mini-ME: you ate way, way too much, and probably too fast. Hopefully you didn't damage your sleeve.

I hope you feel better soon.

I do't have anything to add, I just want to subscribe because I want to know how it turns out. Keep us posted!!!!! I hope your better today.

I definitely think it was too much too close together and you are beginning to stretch the sleeve while it's still swollen and healing B) It would take me 3 sitting 2 hrs apart to eat a 6oz yogurt! But it's also possible the Protein bar caused an obstruction if it went down wrong or turned the wrong way. I hope you are able to get some medical attention sweetie :)

Thank you all for everyone's replies- I did end up going to the ER. My stomach and esophagus was/are very swollen and I failed to mention that i had taken several soy capsules that i am taking as a natural hormonal replacement therapy, i am supposed to take 5 capsules twice a day with a meal, which is very difficult to do. I have only been taking it once a day, and only 2 capsules at a time. Last night i took all 5, and with only a small amount of liquid to get it down. I believe that is what got lodged, as did the ER Dr, but he also agreed with what you all mentioned above- that what i ate last night, a few yogurts, a few jellos, and a Protein bar, all within a few hours, and before going to bed, was probably really overloading my stomach at less than a month post-op.

I'm having a lot of trouble with keeping the food intake so small, and i know that most of it is mental. I was such an overeater/compulsive eater before surgery and ate HUGE volumes of food at a time, that even what i ate last night seems like bird food to me, i never would have thought of it to be too much. But an entire night of no sleep, 8 hours straight of dry heeving and the foamies, severe stomach pains and a final trip to the ER were a huge wake up call to reality. I am not going to put myself through this again. I've really tested my limits and i know what I am NOT capable of doing. I believe that my nerves must be dead in my stomach because if i don't measure food, i will continue to eat much more than 1/4 cup, and that is obviously going to result in big problems like what just occurred. I'm going to have to go back to basics- measure food, and for a few days probably just stick with cold Protein shakes to let the stomach heal a bit from the trauma.

Thanks everyone for your support and i'm sorry to be such a pain in the rear!!

Hope you feel better soon!! The nurse at my bariatric center advised us to get some sample spoons or baby spoons. She said it helps you visualize the right size bite.. She also uses a 1/4 measuring cup when she is making her meals. She said it works better for her if she actually eats out of the measuring cup. Sending you healing energy!! You will find the right balance... remember to have patience with yourself. : )

Thankyou so much. I'm so embarrassed and feel awful this has happened. Cannot believe i pushed myself to this level. I will be taking your advice and be buying some baby spoons and eating out of measuring cups! :)

I think you also need to address your mental issues with food or the sleeve is not going to work for you. It's not a magic tool to make you skinny. You need to fix the problems too!

I'm glad you went to the ER and I"m glad you had the wakeup call.

I hope you feel better soon and good luck to you.