Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More concerned w/ the liquid diet than the surgery!

Well, I am officially no longer a "Lurker"! I have read numerous posts from so many different people, and it is so inspirational. I have to say, after reading so many posts, I truly am more concerned about the liquid diet pre-opt than I am the actual surgery. Is that normal? I am very anxiously awaiting my consult on Thursday. I am ready to start the process.

Anyone else from the DFW area? Just curious!

I am from right outside Dallas. I live in Canton, Texas. I just had the sleeve surgery on 4/7/10 almost 2 weeks ago. The liquid diet was really hard on me. Can't say I didn't cheat a little bit. You will get through it though. I am on the liquid diet still and it hasn't got any easier. The first week was not so bad because I was still nauseated from surgery and just the thought of food or even liquid didn't settle with me. Week two has been kinda hard. I am starting to like the smell of food again and my head is really wanting something. I keep fighting through it though because I am so worried about messing the surgery up. I can't tell you how much sugar free popsicles have saved my life.

My consult is wednesday and I feel the SAME way. I am really hoping that my doctor feels my liver and says I only haev to do it for a day or two before the surgery. Well a girl can DREAM can't she.:crying:

I don't think the post op part will be to bad. AS others have shared you really don't want anything at that point. I am just hoping I can do what needs to be done while trying to care for my family. It wil be a moment to moment stuggle for me at least. Know that you arent the only one.

Well, I am officially no longer a "Lurker"! I have read numerous posts from so many different people, and it is so inspirational. I have to say, after reading so many posts, I truly am more concerned about the liquid diet pre-opt than I am the actual surgery. Is that normal? I am very anxiously awaiting my consult on Thursday. I am ready to start the process.

Anyone else from the DFW area? Just curious!

Hi and welcome, I didn't have to follow a pre op diet at all and that made me happy. . .every doctor is different and you may not have to do a pre op diet at all. . . and it makes perfect sense to me. . . i understand that some people have in it their minds that they are not strong enough and will fail at the preop diet making them not be able to have surgery. . . don't worry, it's a pain, but if you want this bad enough, it's amazing how quickly your time will go and before you know it, it'll be your surgery date. . . good luck and keep us informed. . :biggrin0:

Also DFW area. My doc only has the day before surgery starting at noon on clear liquids--so happy about that!

Rant:

I'm not sure why many have the blanket pre-op diet for this procedure. It's the same procedure they used on 60+ BMI patients as the first stage to get them ready for a Duodenal Switch after they drop some weight. Maybe some want to see the commitment level. It cant just be for liver size because in almost every case they have operated on someone with a higher BMI than you in the past--meaning if I don't diet is my liver going to be larger than the 60 bmi patient that did a diet? Maybe they don't want to have to use the extra incision for an additional liver retractor...Not sure--just a rant...

My surgeon does the DS procedure on a regular basis and may be used to working around the larger liver and thus does not require it...

Edit: Not to say you should not follow your docs recommendations--its just weird that it is not a standard recommendation.

Edited by Swiftflow

Welcome to VST! I'm glad you're not lurking anymore. I can't comment on the liquid diet because that's not what my plan called for. I was on a 1200 calorie diet until I lost my required weight pre-op. Once I got to my pre-op goal I was scheduled for surgery. I knew that if I gained, I'd be sent home on surgery morning, so it was a great motivator.

You can do this! You'll be so happy to be on the Loser's Bench with the rest of us.

Are you allowed non-caloric Fiber supplements during the diet? I did a week long juice fast a while ago, and psyllium tablets totally saved my life! I would take four or five with my juice and be filled right up!

Guys, I can empathize with not wanting to comply with the diet, it can be hard. I love me my carbs, the breadier, the better (as you can tell by looking at me).

However, I cannot emphasize this enough: do what your doctor tells you to do, to the letter. Do not take the advice of people on the Internet over your doctor. Do not decide that you know better than your doctor.

I know it can be frustrating, and we wouldn't be here if we didn't have problems with a healthy diet. But I know from my research as well as my own personal experience that the best outcomes are those who do what the doctor says, even when that's hard. They don't just make this stuff up for fun, I promise.

Tiffykins has some info on why the pre-op diet is necessary, and apparently it isn't just about shrinking the liver, it's about making it less "slimy" and slippery and easier to retract during the surgery. Trust me when I say: you don't want to get liver damage just because the pre-op diet seemed too "hard."

I'm sorry if I seem a little unsupportive, but this is sort of the "dark side" of medical support groups, in my opinion: you run the risk of people taking the advice of, let's face it, random strangers on the Internet over the advice of trained, experienced medical professionals. This group is great for support and general advice, but please, please, if in doubt, ask your doctor.

Edit: re-reading this, it seems a little harsh. I don't mean to disparage anyone; we all have good intentions. It's just that I get worried for people who seem all too willing to be non-compliant with their doctor's orders. That can get you dead.

Thanks everyone for the insight. My consult is Thursday, and I will find out what my doctor recommends. I will do whatever he says to do. I just need some motivation to stay on track! I love this site... so informative on "ALL" topics!

We're all here to help you stay motivated. Just let us know what you need and also what the doc says. :confused:

I was mostly worried about the pre-diet when I got the band. Once I started it, I was surprised at how well I did. When you know you're going for surgery, it's a big motivator. I didn't feel like I was on a diet to lose weight. I felt like I was preparing for the beginning of a very important journey that I really wanted.

I start my pre-diet tomorrow and it is by choice this time. My doc doesn't require a pre-diet for his revision patients. I do not know why he doesn't. Perhaps it is because our BMI is lower than for the usual sleeve patient.

But I'm with ouroborous about doing what your doc says. He's the one who knows your body and he's the one who will be handling it in surgery.

I also agree that it is great to get input from others. It's always good to hear other people's experience and viewpoint so we can learn from them. It often generates questions we can ask our doctors that we might not have thought on our own.

Knowledge is power and knowledge helps allay fears.

Welcome, and we're glad to have you here. I only had to do high protein/low carb for a week before both of my surgeries for the band and my sleeve revision, and my BMI was 49 pre-op. To shrink the liver actually takes a few months on a stringent diet. From what I've been reading on true fatty livers, essentially the pre-op diets helps the slippery fat that is on the outside of the liver to shrink making it easier to move out of the way with the liver retractor, and it's not as "slick". Pretty much reducing the risk of a liver laceration during the procedure. The surgeon has to move the liver out of the way to get to the stomach, and keep it out of the way while dissecting the large portion of the stomach, and making sure the fundus (we want this all gone, it's the biggest part of the stomach that makes that nasty hunger hormone called Ghrelin) is fully dissected.

We'll be here to help you in every way possible. Let us know how your appointment goes, and keep us posted on your progress.

Tiffykins that makes sense about the liver. Otherwise why would there be such varying requirements about pre-operative diets?