Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress = weight loss

This is more of a vent than a question, but I need to share with someone.

I'm having one those weeks. We all have them, we all know that sh*t happens. Anyway, what I can not wrap my head around is why stress causes me to lose weight.

I'm eating a very balanced diet. Getting in between 1200-1500 calories a day, and have quit worrying about carbs. All I really make sure I get are my calories and Protein.

I can't for the life of me understand this cycle. I've tried to stop stressing. I've been praying for peace and grace. I've been repeating "Let Go and Let God".

I've slipped below 124 for a few days, and I feel so lost and frustrated. I'm doing everything "right". Yet, I can't get this figured out.

Pre-op when I would stress, I would eat, and gain weight. Now, I eat and lose weight. The only thing that is different is my sleeve gets finicky when I stress. I can still eat anything I want, but I notice that I have to eat a lot slower than usual. I had a weird GI reaction to stress pre-op as well. My stomach would get sour, then I'd find myself in the bathroom for an hour. I think I feel like I'm not in control of sleeve anymore. I was so compliant, and truly diligent during my losing phase and saw results. Now, I'm trying to be compliant with maintenance, eating properly, enjoying life overall, but my clothes are falling off of me again, and my husband is truly freaking out.

Please someone tell me that when they stress they lose weight. Thanks for listening.

This is more of a vent than a question, but I need to share with someone.

I'm having one those weeks. We all have them, we all know that sh*t happens. Anyway, what I can not wrap my head around is why stress causes me to lose weight.

I'm eating a very balanced diet. Getting in between 1200-1500 calories a day, and have quit worrying about carbs. All I really make sure I get are my calories and Protein.

I can't for the life of me understand this cycle. I've tried to stop stressing. I've been praying for peace and grace. I've been repeating "Let Go and Let God".

I've slipped below 124 for a few days, and I feel so lost and frustrated. I'm doing everything "right". Yet, I can't get this figured out.

Pre-op when I would stress, I would eat, and gain weight. Now, I eat and lose weight. The only thing that is different is my sleeve gets finicky when I stress. I can still eat anything I want, but I notice that I have to eat a lot slower than usual. I had a weird GI reaction to stress pre-op as well. My stomach would get sour, then I'd find myself in the bathroom for an hour. I think I feel like I'm not in control of sleeve anymore. I was so compliant, and truly diligent during my losing phase and saw results. Now, I'm trying to be compliant with maintenance, eating properly, enjoying life overall, but my clothes are falling off of me again, and my husband is truly freaking out.

Please someone tell me that when they stress they lose weight. Thanks for listening.

Tiff - I am so sorry this is happening to you. How frustrating to go to the other end of the spectrum & not be able to stay where you want to be. I'm not far out enough to tell is stress causes me to lose weight. So, I can't help you there.

What I would suggest is an appointment with your surgeon and maybe a trip back to your nutritionist. I'm sure they've "seen it all" and can help you with a strategy for maintenance.

Hugs to you!

Tiff I'm sorry your going through this now but I think it is very prudent of you to be concerned. Thank you so much for sharing, I think of you as a sort of "mentor" for us all. I have not reached goal weight but it's not hard for me to understand what you are encountering. Mini-Me's suggestion may be a good place to start. It would be helpful if anyone out there who is further out in surgery and has had these struggles would come forth and offer some advise? I just want to say that I am confident that there is a solution and you will find it. I will hope that you will keep us informed as things progress. Needless to say...your in my heart and my prayers. xx

From what I remember, the cortisol that stress releases causes the body to do a little more "fight or flight" stuff. One of the fight or flight reactions is a shift in metabolism away from fat storage towards calorie burning; the rationale that I remember is that during times of stress we were more likely to need the energy boost RIGHT NOW than to save it for later.

Of course, the interesting thing is that PROLONGED stress can lead to weight gain. I don't think that researchers fully understand that yet; it may be a homeostatic mechanism.

Regardless of the physiological causes, it's very normal. Do some meditation or deep breathing exercises to lower your stress level, make sure you're treating your body right (good Vitamins, nutrition, hydration), and it should normalize.

sweetie it must be in the moon because i get like that but i to like to think it more mental then just the sleeve i eat less forget to take my vit. and everything when i stress or upset and i lose weight because i'm just not eating enough. Somedays i feel like my sleeve is just all it is a sleeve and then i have those days with my head in the toilet and i think otherwise and i cry becasue i thikn i'm not in control. so no you are not alone my dear sweet friend. you are not alone at all.

((hugs))

Dang, Tiff...this must be one of hardest things to go through. I'm like Nikki when I stress, I forget to eat, nothing tastes good or I don't even have the desire to put anything in my mouth, especially not glasses and glasses of Water. But you seem to be actually eating a pretty good amount compared to what you were eating during your losing phase. You know one thing that could be bringing on the change is that your body is shocked that you aren't really counting or limiting your carbs anymore. I have definitely noticed that when I eat a little more carbs I lose more weight. Your metabolism has probably improved soooo much and adding more carbs to your diet is really just giving you energy and weight loss. Hopefully it will level out once your body gets used to all these changes. Good luck!:o

Never really seen this side of it, but friends of mine that want to put on weight will use those weight gain type of shakes/powders you see at GNC and other health stores. Maybe those could help with maintenance calories that are easy to take in without having to eat junk.

Edit: check this example I found out--Patients trying to regain wieght from illness, cancer treatments, etc use this. http://www.suplimednutrients.com/

Seems like you could modify the quantities or amount for maintenance vs. gain as well.

Edited by Swiftflow

Never really seen this side of it, but friends of mine that want to put on weight will use those weight gain type of shakes/powders you see at GNC and other health stores.

I've actually been keeping those in mind if someday (some happy day) I hit my "goal" weight and want a few extra calories (to build some muscle mass, or something). What a wonderful problem to have!

I just spoke to my nut in March. I'll be seeing my surgeon in late May/early June.

I probably should not stress over this, I know that I could gain weight if I truly wanted to do so. It's that eating "wrong" really bothers me mentally. I know that probably sounds ridiculous. But, honestly, it's tough to switch back to "fat girl" mode when it comes to eating.

I'm hoping that it's just my body's way of handling stress, and when we're over this huge speed bump that we're dealing with right now, hopefully my weight will stabilize.

In all honesty, this is from the bottom of my heart. I fear that if I keep losing, and my hormones stay out of whack, then our attempts to conceive are ruined.

I fought so hard to get to healthy weight to carry and delivery a healthy baby, and now, it all just hurts to think that my body isn't cooperating. That's the big issue, and yes, I'm super emotional about it.

Thank you for all of your support, and input.

Are you afraid that you are trying to sabotage yourself? Before I was sleeved when I would get stressed and just start pounding the food I kept wondering why I was doing that to myself. You are almost a year out and what a year that has been for your body. Is it possible that your mind is just kind of trying to play catch up? Or maybe I am just way off track! I wish you the best of luck and will be praying for you, I did not realize you were planning a pregnancy, how exciting!!

Are you afraid that you are trying to sabotage yourself? Before I was sleeved when I would get stressed and just start pounding the food I kept wondering why I was doing that to myself. You are almost a year out and what a year that has been for your body. Is it possible that your mind is just kind of trying to play catch up? Or maybe I am just way off track! I wish you the best of luck and will be praying for you, I did not realize you were planning a pregnancy, how exciting!!

It's funny you mention that because in the past, I've been known to sabotage myself. I'm typically a very positive, never let failure enter my mind type of person. Over the last couple of months, negative situations keep creeping in, and I let my emotions get the best of me.

I did really great today food wise. I was able to tolerate everything without going to the bathroom which is a good thing. Usually within a an hour of eating when I'm stressed, whatever I've consumed is making an exit. I'm sure that contributes to some loss, but that's how my body has always worked.

I just keep telling myself that things will be okay, and that I need to be patient.

when i get stressed, i take a walk or i do some form of exercise, of course when i am on those days of the month i do have cravings for something spicy or sometimes sweet. if i am in a bad mood, i usually don't want to eat. so it's different for everybody. i hope you do well.:thumbup:goodluck!!!

Also I would look to use the SupliMed product for maintenance added calories before turning to junk. It is well balanced calories that can maybe help you maintain and in turn lower the stress levels. It seems the cycle can be that stress is causing this and then you get more stress because you can't stop it. It looks like a healthy way to get good calories in while your working through your other life stress.

But like any typical Man I want to solve the problem--maybe you just need someone to listen. We are here for that too!

oh so your stressful about wanting the baby right? well if your stressing about that you know it make it harder and maybe like the person above say maybe you need to just pour out the emotions and as always we are here for that too. ((hugs))