Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post opp - now galbladder

Hi All

I am three months post - op today but last night I experienced the worst pain I have ever experienced, after all the blood tests and xrays today the Dr. informed me that my gallbladder has to be removed.

A "google" search on the topic left me wondering if it is a good idea, warnings of diarria and constant pain has me slightly concerned. Any people who have undergone this surgery that could share the pro's and con's.

Could I ignore the operation or should I just face the fact head on ?

Thanks

Andre

My dad had his gall bladder removed about a year and a half ago and he's good as new. :D I would say you're better off having it removed, though I wouldn't know from personal experience. I would rather take a week of recovery time from the surgery than have the pain that comes with gallstones, which I saw with my dad. Good luck!

I had a friend (non wls person) years ago who kept putting off having her gall bladder removed. It got really bad and inflamed that she ended up having to have emergency gall bladder surgery which was an open procedure and said it was the worst surgery she ever had. She said that they couldn't do it laproscopically because it had gotten so bad. She then regretted that she didn't take care of it sooner. I've also had 2 other friends have it done laproscopically and they said it was no biggie.

I had my gall bladder out on 1/08/10 the same time I had my band removed and was sleeved. My mother had hers out years ago with an open procedure, so I was happy to be able to do mine lap. My mother has never had any problems with having hers out, so when I was told mine needed to be removed I had no reservations. Since it was only 11 days ago I can't vouch for how I feel without it yet. I'm still on a liquid diet so my stools are loose anyway right now.

If your doctor thinks it should be removed, I'd do it now rather than face worse complications with it later. Good luck!

Nice to see the positive comments. Because of the Gastric sleeve surgery they might have to do a open procedure (not sure why) - this is like having wisdom teeth removed - easier to deny and look away than face it head on - One thing I know for certain is that I don't want to experience that pain ever again.

Hello Hypn,

I had my gallbladder removed on 11/2/09. I'll tell you what my surgeon said. "Eat low fat and you won't have any problems post op". She said that when someone eats a lot of fat, they get diarrhea that can last forever. (that was probably to scare me). But I did notice that if I ate something fatty I ended up right in the bathroom for awhile. That lasted for about a month, then I forgot all about it.

I took the week of surgery off work to just hang out and recover. Did you ask them why they need to do the surgery "open"?

As it so turned out my phobia in life is diaree - you can dish up anything else place me in a spider chamber when it comes to upset stomachs - not my thing - As you mention several people I spoke to mention that the problem with fatty food dissapears, being sleeved and only 3 months post opp means that my fatty food intake is little at best and I hope this will survise.

The Doctor warned me that since this is my third laproscotic surgery, it makes finding the gallbladder a problem because the intestines get moved around during the surgery's.

Then again he is one of the "warning's first" doctors which always helps, no matter how bad the surgery you still think you did well - lol

More nervous about this than the sleeve !!!!!!

Hello Hypn,

I had my gallbladder removed on 11/2/09. I'll tell you what my surgeon said. "Eat low fat and you won't have any problems post op". She said that when someone eats a lot of fat, they get diarrhea that can last forever. (that was probably to scare me). But I did notice that if I ate something fatty I ended up right in the bathroom for awhile. That lasted for about a month, then I forgot all about it.

I took the week of surgery off work to just hang out and recover. Did you ask them why they need to do the surgery "open"?

Hypn,

A woman in my office had the gallbladder removal with my surgeon, a month after me. She didn't have problems with any food except Chili. My first weeks after surgery were scrambled eggs and well toasted sprouted wheat bread. I kept it very simple.

We're all different, so expect the best and you'll create a wonderful outcome for yourself. We're all here to support you.

My mother in law just had this surgery done and it has been fine. Your body learns to adjust itself to the bile that once was taken by the Gall Bladder. She started Metamucil and that corrected her bowels and hasn't had any more problems. You will eventually have to face the fact that once it is bad it doesn't get better. I would have the surgery and be done with it. That is one thing that happens to us with this surgery, so I was told. I was given Actigal to take at three weeks but it was just too strong and burned my stomach. I may be in your shape when I get futher along??? good luck to you!

You have to get it taken care of right away. It will just get worse. Good luck hon.

hello

About two years ago , I did Bernstein' diet for three month and I lost around 100 lbs and I felt great, but when I started to introduce the food again to my diet ,I had the worst pain ever, had to call 911 and I thought it was a heart attack as it causes chest pain. Anyway , my dr told me that it's very common to have gallstones after losing lots of weight fast. I had the surgery which was soooo easy , laproscopic , very tiny incisions .

I remember that I went for an intreview the net day of the surgey.

some diareah after the surgery but it went away , the only problem is when I have fast food or anything with fat, I have to know my way tot the washroom before I eat, because it's so embarassing. 5 minutes after the meal and u HAVE TO GO TO THE WASHROOM.

no pain or anything .

my surgeon who did my sleeve surgery asked me if I have a gallbladder and when I asked him why? he said that if it's still there, he will remove it as well even without the gallstones. but i had it removed earlier so It wasnt a problem

let me know if u need more info

Hi All

I am three months post - op today but last night I experienced the worst pain I have ever experienced, after all the blood tests and xrays today the Dr. informed me that my gallbladder has to be removed.

A "google" search on the topic left me wondering if it is a good idea, warnings of diarria and constant pain has me slightly concerned. Any people who have undergone this surgery that could share the pro's and con's.

Could I ignore the operation or should I just face the fact head on ?

Thanks

Andre

I had my gallbladder removed in 1996 and it was the best thing ever. . . they do it laproscopically as well and as an outpatient. . .you have a bit of ouchy here and there and thats it, i was off work for maybe 2-3 days. . if you ignore it, the pain gets worse and worse until you can't stand it anymore, my mom tried that and she fainted. . . she lives alone and after she came too, she herself called the ambulance . . . so if i were you I'd get 'er done . . . (mom is doing great by the way):smile:

I had my gallbladder out 11/2/2009. For anyone that's had it out, as well as being Sleeved, how do the two surgeries compare in recovery time etc.

I had my gallbladder out 11/2/2009. For anyone that's had it out, as well as being Sleeved, how do the two surgeries compare in recovery time etc.

as I mentioned b4 I had my gallbladder removed like two years b4 the sleeve , my dr said that he needed to make an extra incision because I had a scar tissue from the gallbladder surgery. recovery wise, i dont think it made any difference

Thanks Lebyvr! I'm hoping I don't have scar tissue as it was only a few months ago.