Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you stock your fridge/pantry with for post op?

For those of you Post Opers, I'm curious to know what you bought, ate the most of, found it easiest to eat, appealing etc.. after surgery. I'm having my procedure on 1/8 and want to go ahead and buy what I need to have at home before hand. Any ideas to share?

Thanks!!

Kimberly

I over stocked my pantry with so many things I could not tolerate after the surgery. One thing that I have been able to consistently able to eat is cream of wheat, I add a little of Jay Robb vanilla Protein Powder to it with a drop of pure maple Syrup and some low fat milk. I drink Vitamin waters since the surgery I have lost my taste for plain Water. I stocked up on all the flavors I liked pre surgery and post surgery the only one I could tolerate is the tropical citrus. I ended up buying things like ricotta and cottage cheese but could not tolerate them either. I also bought a bunch of baby food and only ate a few jars of the fruit. It's hard to tell before the surgery what you will want to drink and eat since tastes change so drastically. At least mine did. I still can't eat fresh fruit it's just too sweet and I completely lost my taste for sweets. Hope this helped a bit. Wishing you smooth sailing all the way through.

I stocked up on sugar-free pudding (butterscotch, and boston cream pie flavor was my favorites for the full liquid stage), SF popsicles (clear stage), chicken bouillion cubes (clear stage), Crystal Light (Early morning sunrise was the only flavor I could tolerate) sugar free Jello, cream of Soups (strained through the full liquid stage), chicken/tuna salad ( soft solid stage) and babybel and laughing cow cheese for the soft solids.

I also bought the packages of SF Jello and puddings that I made myself, those pre-packaged ones would go to waste. If I made the instant jello and pudding, I could just eat the whole amount over the week, and the kiddo helped eat it as well.

I would be careful stocking up too much because our tastebuds tend to change drastically after surgery. I could not tolerate anything with Aspartame for quite some time. Crystal Light was out for awhile.

Celestial Seasoning's decaf/herbal tea were not too sweet for me, and added a great variety to help me get my liquids in.

For those of you Post Opers, I'm curious to know what you bought, ate the most of, found it easiest to eat, appealing etc.. after surgery. I'm having my procedure on 1/8 and want to go ahead and buy what I need to have at home before hand. Any ideas to share?

Thanks!!

Kimberly

I got a 6 pk of Isopure Protein drink and have bought them at least 3 more times, drink them even now..I didn't use any of my pkgs of SF Jello, but did stock up on homemade chicken broth - ate the chicken from it later as I chopped the meat up fine and added them to the diet as i progressed. Yogurt and fatfree cottage cheese worked well for me, poached eggs after a couple of weeks, and, like Tiffy, loved the babybel lowfat cheeses (could nibble them to mush slowly early on) I bought way too much Protein powders, and have most of them still sitting here 3 months later, so go slow on those, wait til afterwards. Canned broths or Soups you can strain out the solids for week 2 are great. Crystal lite - banana strawberry orange is my fav, as we all seem not to enjoy plain Water for quite a while, but do dilute well as they will be too sweet at first. Grape juice and unsweetened applesauce are good at first too! Hope this list is a help!

I used the Crystal Light To Go a lot. Helped me get my fluids in, 16.9 ounces at a time. Add vanilla Protein powder (Jay Robb whey Vanilla is pretty good) to the CL Sunrise to make a dreamsicle drink. Most of the dark red CL flavors (cherry, pomegranate, raspberry lemonade, etc) were waaaaayyy too sweet to handle the first couple of weeks, though. I ate quite a bit of wonton Soup and hot and sour Soup with the solids strained out. When I got to full liquids, a lot of the Progresso Soups run through the blender worked well.

Stock up on the Gas-X strips in peppermint flavor and suck on a couple every few hours for the first few days or week. They really helped with my burping, gas and queasy stomach. Also, if you take any sort of pills regularly for HBP, etc. buy a pill crusher and some unsweetened applesauce (Mott's is pretty good).

sugar free Jello works well too.

Good luck! It's really worth the effort !

I used the Crystal Light To Go a lot. Helped me get my fluids in, 16.9 ounces at a time. Add vanilla Protein powder (Jay Robb whey Vanilla is pretty good) to the CL Sunrise to make a dreamsicle drink. Most of the dark red CL flavors (cherry, pomegranate, raspberry lemonade, etc) were waaaaayyy too sweet to handle the first couple of weeks, though. I ate quite a bit of wonton Soup and hot and sour soup with the solids strained out. When I got to full liquids, a lot of the Progresso Soups run through the blender worked well.

Stock up on the Gas-X strips in peppermint flavor and suck on a couple every few hours for the first few days or week. They really helped with my burping, gas and queasy stomach. Also, if you take any sort of pills regularly for HBP, etc. buy a pill crusher and some unsweetened applesauce (Mott's is pretty good).

sugar free Jello works well too.

Good luck! It's really worth the effort !

BigTex -

Awesome idea on the Sunrise CL mixed with vanilla Protein Powder - It sounded so good, I had to go make one - YUMMERS :thumbup: I am sipping it now while watching my Cowboys.

The only things I "stocked" before surgery for after surgery were:Homemade clear Soups in 2-3 oz portions, put in freezergood quality chicken, beef and vegetable broth (boxed or canned)G2 (diet gatorade, really helped me feel better when I couldn't drink much)No sugar added apple juiceindividual packets of Unjury. I had used this in the past with the band and knew I could tolerate the taste. I bought SF Jello and pudding...but the pudding is too sweet for my taste now. It's really cold here and post op I've been fighting feeling chilled...so most of my Protein Drinks have been made along the lines of hot chocolate (protein powder) or unflavored Protein added to broths and soups. I prefer hot tea to cold drinks at this time of the year and even heated my Crystal Light to drink it. I dilute my Crystal light into a 20 oz bottle of Water instead of the 16.9 oz. they recommend. This keeps it from being so strong and so sickening sweet.

Edited by Tracy46545

Hi there! I like anything and everything except Water which is totally not agreeing with me. . .only for me, the broth you buy is sorta yucky so my DH took it and made a Soup for himself with the broth adding stuff to it like, potatoes, scallions, celery, carrots and Beans to it, boiled it til the vegatables where soft, no pepper, or other seasonings. . . then he put the broth through a strainer and gave me the strained broth. . . now there is broth! but i'm on clear until thursday, surgery was on the 29th. . . i've eatten so many sf popsicles and sf Jello to make me a kid again! hahahahaha. . . but it's only temporary, soon i'll be having other stuff and in 5 months i'm back on a regular diet. . . can't wait.

I got mostly the right things, but by far too much of everything! Smooth Soups and broths were good. Also drinkable yoghurt (we have it over here, don't know about you). sugar free juice concentrates. I also had stocked up on fruit smoothies but that turned out to be one of the few things I don't feel ok after having. Perhaps too much sugar too rapidly? Anyway, I get queasy.

One of my favourite things later on for Protein is German quark - it's basically a mix between sour cream and fresh cheese. Low in calories, high in Protein, and tastes good. Wikipedia info on it: Quark (cheese) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia