Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any STRONG MEDICAL reasons for choosing the lap-band?

I'm trying to justify to my insurance company why the lap-band is the better option for me over the bypass. If anyone knows of strong medical reasons for choosing the lap-band, I would appreciate you sharing them with me.

In MY case, it was the only choice. As my doctor explained it, if I were in Australia or other parts of the world. It would be the 'gold' standard'. otherwise, I take blood thinners and his point was that were I to break loose and bleed (with an RNY) I'd hemorrhage to death before it could be fixed.

Also, the fact that you don't deal with the malabsorptive properties of the other surgeries could be medically important to you as well.

Totally reversible, if need be.

FAR less opportunity for having a lengthy post-op stay due to complications in surgery or post op for RNY.

There will be others with much more detailed, scientific answers. Overall, it should be a personal choice about what you, yourself can tolerate and are willing to subject your body to. I wish you luck in getting it all straightened out!

I reccomend that you contact the local Doc in your area and get all the literature on lap band, this shows the stats why the lap band over any other type. Less complications, can be reveresed if need be, and the list goes on and on. If you need a Doctor contact email me at boiseman2001@yahoo.com .

lower mortality rate!!! this is the huge deciding factor for me. Less risk of infection. Totally reversible in cases where there are complications. Bigger chance of keeping the weight off, so few chance of future surgeries. slower weightloss so less chance of needing plastic surgery in the future to remove excess problematic skin. nonmalabsorbtion style of weightloss so you will not have problems with malnutrition issues in the future.

Randi, one of the reasons I used in my appeal letter--in addition to playing the "safer" card--was the slower weight loss. Back in 1990 I went on Optifast, and lost 75 lbs in three months--pretty much RNY speed. To my surprise, there was almost nothing "fun" about it. At the end of the three months I didn't recognize myself; I'd been fat all my life and this was literally like an overnight transformation. It disturbed me on physical, psychological, and societal levels. (For example, it seemed like I didn't have a single conversation that whole year that wasn't about my weight. EVERYONE wanted to know what I was doing--there was no pretending that it was natural. Finding something to wear was a daily challenge, and not in a good way. I was a bridesmaid that spring and was getting married myself, so there were LOTS of trips to the tailors.)

12 years later, faced with making a similar decision, I knew I didn't want to go down that road again. Losing weight that fast JUST.ISN'T.NORMAL. It's not safe, it's not sane, and since I wasn't in medical crisis I couldn't find a single good reason to go that route. Banding makes better medical sense.

Leatha G,

I think I'm gonna borrow that piece about the blood thinners. Thanks!

Sisterfunkhaus,

My insurance company currently believes the bypass is the gold standard. I get the impression their not ready to commit on a full scale to the lap-band. I think they see it as, "no moving parts" is a better cost savings for them. Thanks for the input.

Shackdog,

Thanks for the offer, I make take you up on it if I'm unable to gather enough information. I have a lot to the literature. What I'm looking for is any unique situations that my PCM could use to make a case for me to the insurance company.

It only works if you're actually ON them currently.

Alexandra, your appeal letter was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this question. I still think your appeal letter is the best document I have ever seen regarding the WHY of choosing the band over other surgeries.

Funnyduddies,

One of my goals is to avoid future plastic surgery for the loose skin. I will definitely ensure my doctor includes that one in my case file. Thanks!

Alexanda,

Those are all my issues too. I have a friend who had the bypass and I could tell his mind wasn't keeping pace with his weight loss because it was too quick. I don't want that or to have to explain how I took off the weight. I think gradual is the only way to do it!

leatha g,

I don't take a blood thinner such as coumadin, but I do take a daily aspirin for that purpose. You guys are really helping me think outside the box. Whatever information I gather, I'll present to my PCM and then based on his knowledge and training, he can assimilate all the information to make the best case for me.

It only works if you're actually ON them currently.

Alexandra, your appeal letter was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this question. I still think your appeal letter is the best document I have ever seen regarding the WHY of choosing the band over other surgeries.

Thanks, Leatha!! I'm blushing.

Randi, I sought out my letter for the pertinent section:

The long-term goal may be to reduce my excess body weight by 80-90%, but a loss of even 50% of my excess weight would drastically improve my health and nearly eliminate the long-term risks caused by morbid obesity. LAGB patients achieve their weight loss in a more gradual manner than RNY patients, with only a FRACTION of the risk. But achieve it they do, and the evidence is multiplying all the time. There are significant advantages to this procedure over bypass surgery for certain individuals, specifically those like myself who, although suffering from morbid obesity, are in otherwise good health. I have two small children and simply will not take the risks inherent in more drastic surgical procedures.

The fact that the weight loss that will follow the LAGB procedure is more modulated than that following the RNY--but no less permanent--is precisely one of the major reasons I believe it is preferable for me. Indeed, I personally have previously experienced a 75-lb loss in a period of 12 weeks, and can attest to the physical, emotional, and psychological disruption that followed. LAGB will result in precisely the result necessary to greatly improve my health without endangering it--in other words, “effective.”

Though the letter is a bit dated now, you may find it and the other posts in this thread helpful.

Thanks, Jack,

My Mom is a borderline diabetic and the doctor just ran some blood tests on me the other day. So, hopefully there's something in the results that will prove useful.