Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sensations in eating feeling unnatural and unpleasant still!

well I'm 2months, 11 days out and still struggling with food! I can eat one scrambled egg and that's it! Or one mashed up small meatball and done! I recently had around 4 oz of lentil Soup and a couple of bites of fillet of sole stuffed with crabmeat, then I took a fork full of shredded lettuce from a Greek salad. I was uncomfortable the entire night even into the next morning. I've already had an upper endoscopy and my surgeon said all was fine, no obstruction no need to be stretched. So I'm hoping that someone here will assure me that this struggle with food will pass! I would be miserable if this is the way it will feel for the duration of my life every time I eat. I can't even slightly gulp my fluids, I still have to take sips only the stuff just doesn't seem to flow. I personally am not overjoyed with the weight loss when eating and drinking is so unpleasant. Am I impatient? Please tell me that it will take another month or so but that things will be better, like being able to eat (even if only a few ounces), with normality! And drink comfortably too. Right now unless its cream of wheat eating is something, although I need to, I detest doing because of the after effect. I mean it will be horrible if this is what I will go through when it comes to food for the rest of my life!

PS- Is it safe for me to eat a (well a piece), of a tangerine?

Also I used to love eating sunflower seeds, the ones you break out of the shells with your teeth. Should I consider those history?

And what about coffee, allowed? If so, should I stick to decaff only.

I just want to eat balanced and healthy meals and not feel so uncomfortable afterward. It would be so nice to say yum that was good or satisfying instead of "oh no I better get up and walk, God I hope this stuff goes through and doesn't feel like I'm filled up to my throat! I am over the fact that I can only eat a little bit the dissatisfaction and inability to figure out what is going on in there and why it all feels so unnatural is so frustrating. Does anybody relate?

I'm not as far out as you - almost 6 weeks, but I can only eat one small meatball at a time. I eat only about an ounce total at each meal. I'm hoping to increase it so I can get off Protein Shakes, but so far about an ounce is all I can tolerate. Peanut Butter and smooth cheese like laughing cow go down the best. Most things cause me to burp a lot, but not those two. I'm looking forward and have faith that with patience and time I will tolerate more food and I'm sure you will too. Hang in there.

Thank you for replying. I've not much choice but to hang in and keep trying. I just hope that I can feel normal again that when I eat something it is not such a worrisome event. I'm finding this whole thing so very hard but I will pray for the faith and the patience that in time things will get better. Thanks again and best of wishes to you on your journey. As you progress please let me know how it's going from time to time.

I can drink more normal now. I cannot eat any where near "normal". I am looking for something savory to eat. that usually means salty. Get some oyster crackers. suck on one and it dissolves. My tummy loves them. one little cracker at a time. Seems to calm my stomach. Maybe it will help you?

In any event, I do not believe you will be eating (or not eating) the way you are forever. It will get better. For you it is just going more slowly. Keep the faith. You will be a better eater eventually. Some of hte "oldtimers" on this board talk about not being able to eat like before and all kinds of changes in eating habits. I know you are frustrated. I get that way too. I want this learning part over and just getting on with my life, but, this is all part of it. Try to find the humor in the circumstance. You will feel better. I love my cream of wheat. I NEVER ate it before. so glad I found it. my new comfort food, all 1/4 cup of it. ha!

Thank you Carolyn for encouragement I just can't seem to get enough. I guess part of my upset is missing the former relationship I had with food which was not really too bad. I ate very healthy foods hardly any junk. My portions were just too much at night. So now it feels like I've been stripped the right to eat those healthy and well balanced food selections reduced to mainly Protein (because I can't fit much more) so veggies, and fruits?? I really feel I'm jeopardizing my health just trying to get in enough protein and Fluid. It just scares me. I'm really scared. Thanks again it means so much to me to hear from others who can relate and share their experiences.

Everyone is really different. It's really hard to say.

I have a friend who had her sleeve surgery a week after I did, by the same surgeon.

She is nauseous a lot and has a really hard time drinking.

I had a period of nausea, but it didn't last. I can drink a lot of Water, but I never really try to drink anything else. She says Water

is the one thing that makes her the

most nauseous.

I drink a lot of Protein drinks, because I really worry about my

protein intake. I took a really long time to transition into solids, because it was difficult, like you are saying. 2-3 bites and I was done. It really didn't bother me, because the Protein Drinks were really satisfying to me.

Just keep checking in here and try not to get depressed about it. There are more people who are not so new at surgery at Obesity Help.

Lan - sorry you're still struggling so much with your grieving over food. What you are eating is very normal for no further out than you are -- I remember we bought meatballs - fixed 3 each -- I was lucky to get down 1. They are pretty solid and so you are able to eat less than you would of something else.

Instead of scrambled egg, try 2 poached eggs- they may go down easier.

I have also found that soda crackers with laughing cow cheese go down pretty easy.

I know how you feel about wondering if this is the way it's always going to be, I felt that way - probably up until about 1-1/2 months ago -- now I am able to eat a little bit of everything - it may take me 45 minutes to do so, but I just take my time and eat what I want - Protein, fruits and veggies.

Hang in there and try not to focus too hard on what you aren't able to eat and focus instead what you can eat.

BTW - I am almost 6 months out and I STILL can't gulp any liquids - I sometimes forget and try - and boy does it hurt!

Hi Lan-

I'm sorry you're still having troubles with eating. But like Vegas said- try to focus on what you CAN eat. It might be a bit boring if it's the same thing over and over- but you can get thru this.

I was sick the first 3 months- but fortunatly I was able to drink Protein drinks- or Protein Shots to help with my Protein intake.

You had this surgery for a reason- think about what those reasons were.....

(((((((((HUGS )))))))))

I agree with Vegas, the amount you are able to eat at this stage of the game is normal. You had 3/4 of your stomach removed, so you are not going to be able to eat much. I am almost eight months out and am only able to eat about four to six ounces, if that, at a meal. That isn't a lot, especially when compared to what I used to eat. But, that is what I wanted. That is what I signed up for.

I did go through a bit of a mourning period. There are times even now when I wish I could eat more. But then, I have to remind myself that eating more is what caused me to become obese to begin with. I just have to tell myself it isn't that I can't eat this food again, I just can't eat it right now because my body is telling me I have had enough.

As for drinking, I can definitely do more than sip, but I still can't gulp huge swallows like I used too. It took me about four months before I was able to do more than sip. You are just 2 1/2 months out. Your stomach will probably stretch a bit more. By the time you are six months out, you should be able to eat a satisfying amount of food and still continue to lose weight.

Right now, I think you really need to focus on other things. Eat until you are satisified, quit and move on to something else. Don't focus on what you couldn't eat or how you wish you could have ate more. Instead, focus on your family, a hobby, doing the things you couldn't do before you started losing weight. One of the things that I love about my sleeve is that I have learned there is so much more to life than food. I no longer spend my time thinking about and planning what I am going to eat next. I now spend my time thinking about and planning my wonderful life.

I think I can eat a bit more than you before feeling uncomfortable. I can eat one cup of veggies and chicken. is that much? I can eat 3/4 of an apple at a time.

I can eat one tuna can + little veggies. I am trying to write down my portion sizes with which I am feeling ok. it is a struggle and an every day learning process. but honestly I wish this would last forever. I don't want to go back to consuming huge amounts of food. that was disgusting. I also would prefer soft poached eggs than scrambled with one spoon of low fat mayo. 2 eggs will fill me up without feeling uncomfortable..is that normal? or it is too much?

Lan,

I understand where you are coming from, however, mine is not like that everyday. Some days I can tolerate more- I think it depends on stress level too. If I wait a long time before eating, then I can forget eating 2 oz or anything near it.

Ive also noticed when its close to my monthly, I can eat a little more. I dont know if thats mental or what...lol

But we are just over 2 months-- oh yeah and you can forget gulping any liquids- I did that (I had forgotten about my sleeve for a split second) and i started having spasms?!

I notice that I am thirstier now post op too, I dont know whats up with that but I guess its because I cant eat/drink @ the same time anymore.

Sweetie-

Everyone is different... just as long as you "know" your full- and not over doing it.. you're ok...

Listen to your body... I don't know how far out you are.. but there are times I can eat ALOT.... and then on other days.... hardely anything... a few bites of something.. and I am done.

I went for chinese last week.. really hungry- got take out figuring I could have it for a few meals.. well I could only eat about 3 bites.... LITTERALLY and i took it home. there are days I just can't swallow it... or I know I will be sick. I have learned that feeling.. the way it tastes .. and I have to quit.

So there really isn't a "normal"... it's what your body responds to.

My biggest frustration is eating something one day and it is fine. Eating the very same thing the next day and problems. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, chew-chew-chew, and take very small bites. Sipping Water is still a problem, especially after working out when I want a lot! Goodness, we are so unique! It is good t see others have the same problems I do. Does not make them right, but sure does make me feel much less an oddity!

I can drink alot better... I can't and won't "guzzle"... but I can drink several long drinks.

I can relate Bob- one day everything is fine and the next day- watch out!

My biggest frustration is eating something one day and it is fine. Eating the very same thing the next day and problems. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, chew-chew-chew, and take very small bites. Sipping Water is still a problem, especially after working out when I want a lot! Goodness, we are so unique! It is good t see others have the same problems I do. Does not make them right, but sure does make me feel much less an oddity!

Thanks Bob, I agree that for me too the inconsistency of what and how my body accepts something one day and not the next is a problem. For me it effects me psychologically. I get so frustrated to the point of tears because I get flooded with anxiety and fear over it. I just want things to regulate and be consistent in an acceptable way so I may enjoy my workouts and weight loss. I'm not in lockstep with the world around me. While most are experiencing holiday excitement and cheer I am in my own world. Tonight I'm invited out to eat with friends and have no appetite whatsoever. Should I go? I'm forcing myself on behalf of the people who really want me there but all the while I'm holding back tears. This sadness is hurting me and the people who love me. It just doesn't let up. I keep thinking tomorrow will be better and if I could only be consistent with the food I'd be able to get on with my life but them boom along comes tomorrow and things turn on their head! Sorry I'm babbling but I'm just so desperate and wish I had you people all around me. It's so lonely being a sleever where there are none other sleevers to be found. Hope I didn't make you miserable. Hope your thanksgiving holiday went flawlessly!