Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done the pre-op diet???

I've been on this pre-op diet now for 2 whole days and it doesn't really go over with my stomach. The stuff doesn't taste bad, thats not a problem and I'm really not that hungrey either, it just doesn't agree with my tummy. Can this really be "good for me??" Does it get better? so far I just crash at about 5-5:30 and then cant get to sleep when I go to bed. I'd really like to hear from someone who has done this high protien/low carb diet. I was NEVER a candidate for Atkins. Can it really be done for TWO WEEKS????? :tired

Rett

Hi Rett,

My doctor put me on Optifast for two weeks (Protein drink) It was good because it prepared me for the op (shrinking my liver) and mentally prepared me to give up my food. I have had it before for 3 months too - the first couple of days are hard and then you body adjusts to it and it gets better.

good luck!

I have LIVED on hi Protein lo carbs much ....did it for about 7mos before my wedding 2 ys ago....lost 70lbs I believe?!? Anyway....after about 2 wks the "crash" feeling subsides. The Southbeach diet is one of the best on the market in my humble medical opinion....written by a cardiologist and has good sense. I did get Constipation w/o enough veggies...so had to make sure I got those in!! You won't feel hungry b/c the Proteins stick around a LOT longer than sugars(carbs) that break down so quickly!

The bright side of all of this is ...it won't be for long....just keep it in perspective....a short "season" of your life....and you want this BAD so fight and adjust and YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -47lbs :)

I am finishing up a two week high Protein liquids diet(surgery on Friday!!) that consists mainly of Glucerna Shakes(diabetic weight-loss stuff), broths and Jello, etc. I know the first couple of days my stomarch ached a little and gas pains were a problem.. I used some phazyme and gas-x, that helped a lot. After the first couple of days may system adjusted to the change in diet and I've been pretty satisfied after "eating". Hang in there! BTW, I've lost 11lbs in just under two weeks! You can do it!!

Keep in mind that most pre-op diets vary slightly. I've done "a" pre-op diet, but maybe not "the" pre-op. :)

Mine was a breeze - sugar free Clear Liquids for 2 days before surgery.

I think there are several types of pre-op diets and it varies from doctor to doctor. Mine was basically Soup, broth and yoghurt. The idea is to shrink your liver a bit so that it gets easier for your doctor to do the surgery laparascopically without the risk of touching or harming some other internal organ he's not supposed to touch (basically, doctor needs to get more room around stomach to band it up).

But I was so desperate to get that band, I guess I would do ANYTHING my doctor told me to do!...

niki

I agree with the other posters. Every pre-op diet is a little different and your body will adjust to it in time. The amount of time depends on your body - also different than anyone elses! I felt terrible for 3 days then I was OK.

My doctor didn't require a pre-op diet for me because of my low(relatively speaking!) BMI. I did a pre-op liquid diet/fast because I've had laparoscopic surgery before and I knew my body would recover from surgery more quickly if my system had a chance to clean itself out and have a rest. I'm glad I did it, I was out sightseeing and shopping in Monterrey, Mexico 48 hours after my surgery without any problems or pain.

Hang in there - it's worth the effort.

hi,.....i had my surgery 18 months ago,and had to do a pre-op diet to lose weight before i could have my surgery. what i did was cut out startch like bread, and Pasta, cut out the junk food watched what i ate you could try to eat your protien first then a veggie and a startch if you have room for it and most important do alot of excerising . ann

My Surgeon put me on 1200 calories a day. High Protien, Low Carbs..

You can eat just about anything in "GOOD FOOD" not fast food.< /p>

Read your labels on packaged food/per serving that's what you want.

Keep a log/Diary if you will. Add up all the calories, then add up your protien {protien should be between 60-80} Calories under 1200. Get a book, and get a scale. Dr Phill has a good book out on counting your calories. Remember it took time getting on! It's gonna take time comeing off. I like Lean Cuisine myself. I started in October and have lost 87 Lbs.

So yes this old fashion way works

I did not do a preop diet as my dr didn't recommend it....you will have to ask your dr for the ideal ....it also depends on your weight, height, liver, etc......

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -49lbs :cool:

One of the first times I've heard of this one, but my sugeon wants me on 7 days of Carnation Instant Breakfast (6 a day) and of course water.....it's the first time I've heard this pre-op mentioned, but I'm not questioning a man that has done perhaps a 1000 lapbands in order to qualify for a center of excellence for Medicare. Actually, I love Carnation Instant Breakfast, so should be fine.

Dody

I just got back from my preop visit and instructions. 1 day of Clear Liquids. That's it. Another interesting thing - no instant breakfast drinks EVER. He says they can clog band. Also no oatmeal. I was surprised at the breakfast drinks and powdered drinks. I saw on another thread someone's doctor had said clogging. I find that interesting. Oh well, I'll do whatever he wants.