Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vsg 2 1/2 years ago

I've decided to put my two cents in since I read that there are not many postings from older VSG patients. Although I didn't have as much as weight as most to lose I had a family history of diabetes, stroke, cancer, etc. I had my surgery in May of 2007. It was the best thing I ever did. I went from roughly 220 pounds to 146. I am 5'7" and went from a size 16 to a size 4-6. Two and 1/2 years later I have to use a little more discipline when it comes to eating but it has truly been a breeze. I can eat anything I want in moderation and when I misbehave, I gain a couple of pounds but it is fairly easy to lose. I had been overweight for about 20 or so years.

Thank you so much for posting! I always wondered how folks did that were out longer than 1 1/2 years. . . . it's so nice to hear you maintain a good weight and continue to be happy! congratulations with your weight loss, 75 lbs is alot of weight for someone who is 5' 7" !

I am approximately 7 weeks out of surgery and I'm having a terrible time. I have hardly any desire to eat and although I was eating solids for the last couple of weeks, (only about 2 oz and not with ease), for the last 3 days I've lost my appetite for everything. I struggle with getting enough Protein, (liquid) and Fluid in each day. On top of that my mouth and throat are dry and i seem to have a bit of mucus in my throat that just won't dislodge. when I awake and brush my teeth in the morn I gag to the point of dry heaving. I gargle and the same happens, the flem in the back of my throat just won't loosen and come out. I'm full of anxiety because of all the above. I just had an upper endoscoopy because my surgeon was concerned about the little amounts of food I am able to take in. It came out normal. Can you assure me that in due time I will be fine? I am so distressed because I feel helpless, no matter how I try things are not seeming to progress. Eating is difficult and even drinking is difficult. Please let me know if you had any discomforts during the first few months after your surgery. Thanks.

Congratulations on your weight loss AND maintenance! I really appreciate hearing from those much further out. I'd love to hear more about your weight loss journey (did you follow a low carb diet?) if you ever want to post more. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing your story with us "newbies". It's always great to hear from those that have been doing this much longer than most of us. Congrats on your success and good luck on your continued maintenance.

It will get easier. I did not have the trouble you are having. At first it was difficult but got easier with time. Again, saltines and cheddar cheese saved my life! For some reason it was the perfect consistency for me because it wasn't runny and it wasn't hard to swallow after dissolving it in my mouth. Can't say enough about it. Not to mention it took the hunger and weakness away. All of this is very emotional and possibly you are just stressed out about it all and finding it difficult to swallow. I know it sounds crazy but I had the same symptoms when I got a divorce.. I couldn't swallow and everything got stuck in my throat...stress related. If they don't see anything then possibly it is a mental thing and maybe relaxing more about it will help you. I promise, it gets very easy and you will have no regrets!

Your welcome. No, didn't follow low carb diet. I tried to eat sensibly but didn't always follow the rules. As long as I got my Protein in and wanted to eat a couple of oreos I would. Now I probably eat too many sweets but I am getting back on track with more vegetables and fruit. I need to lose a couple of pounds....I know...that sounds pitiful doesn't it? I knew that I was not ever going to follow a low carb diet the rest of my life so I eat anything, just in moderation.

I'm sorry I must have come across as self centered. I do appreciate you sharing your 2.5 year status with us. I am also very happy and encouraged to learn of your success and satisfaction. I am in such a bad place right now however that I'm desperate to know that the troubles I am having (which are very real), will pass. If you had ups and downs within the early stages out from surgery I'd would be so grateful to know as I seem to awake each day to the same struggles and am desperate to know if, even in my case, there will be light at the end of the tunnel. In any event thank you so much for sharing and best of wishes to you.

I've decided to put my two cents in since I read that there are not many postings from older VSG patients. Although I didn't have as much as weight as most to lose I had a family history of diabetes, stroke, cancer, etc. I had my surgery in May of 2007. It was the best thing I ever did. I went from roughly 220 pounds to 146. I am 5'7" and went from a size 16 to a size 4-6. Two and 1/2 years later I have to use a little more discipline when it comes to eating but it has truly been a breeze. I can eat anything I want in moderation and when I misbehave, I gain a couple of pounds but it is fairly easy to lose. I had been overweight for about 20 or so years.

I am 5'5" and 235 lbs. NO, not that big, but BIG enough. I am 100 lbs over weight. I've been called a light weight, but that's ok, I'll take it with no problem. I was about to have surgery, but my BP is way too high, and I have to get it under control before surgery. I would love to hear more about your weight loss, trials and errors. It's always good to hear about people who are as far along as you are, with no regrets, and still doing great! I hope to make it to my ideal weight of 135 lbs. but I'd take 150 lbs. Thanks for posting, hope to hear more from you.

Thank you. I must have been writing my previous post as you were posting this. I'm not yet able to tolerate cheeses of any kind but do hope something changes soon. Thanks again for acknowledging.

It will get easier. I did not have the trouble you are having. At first it was difficult but got easier with time. Again, saltines and cheddar cheese saved my life! For some reason it was the perfect consistency for me because it wasn't runny and it wasn't hard to swallow after dissolving it in my mouth. Can't say enough about it. Not to mention it took the hunger and weakness away. All of this is very emotional and possibly you are just stressed out about it all and finding it difficult to swallow. I know it sounds crazy but I had the same symptoms when I got a divorce.. I couldn't swallow and everything got stuck in my throat...stress related. If they don't see anything then possibly it is a mental thing and maybe relaxing more about it will help you. I promise, it gets very easy and you will have no regrets!

Great post and so helpful.

What about the "hunger"? Are you normal hungry or do you get HUNGRY?

Thanks for your help!

ReadytoMaintain

So glad to hear about your success, especially not doing the low carb thing. Really, I know that is not me either..and I know that 40-50 gms of Protein is adequate, and drinking 32 oz Water is ok too. I take my vits/drink enough eat enough protein to be healthy. I plan to be at goal eventually, the only reason my surgeon wants us to get to goal fast, is because it makes them look good. Well, I am doing this for me not him.

Thanks for posting and sharing. You are right. There are not enough people at this board who have had the sleeve for very long. That's why I end up doing a lot of reading at the other board.

Lan2k I hope things get better for you soon. Maybe you're having spasms like Vegas Angel gets. She says drinking warm things in the morning helps. I am sure it must be frustrating for you.

I hate when I have to miss a day on this board. I am late to say, thank you to luck. So good to hear your message. We are the same height but Ihad revised my goal to 165 after seeing a girl at the clinic, she looked so great. Maybe after I reach the 165, I will revise my goal to 135 again. So darn confusing. I am getting tired of drinking everything. Even though I have moved to mushies, still, not enough chewing to satisfy me. Patience, I know. I am loving my warm broth or tea in the mornings still. I am going to the gym daily to ride a bike. (bad knees, can't walk for exercize) Hubby even joined yesterday!

I am still sleeping in the afternoons alot. (2hrs, I think they implanted the siesta gene while I was in TJ for the sleeve) I am going back to work in another week. Naps will have to stop/reduce by then. LOL

Lan2: you have got to get some relaxation/meditation therapy going for you. When your mind starts buzzing, you need a way to turn in down/off. Have you tried Hypnosis? The flem in your throat is a problem that can be cured with musinex or other medication, why hasn't your Dr. suggested something? My Hubby suffers from that flem once in awhile, it is a panic inducer as he feels he is choking and cannot get a breath. You do not need anything to induce panic. Work on that problem as a separate issue unrelated to the sleeve. Tiny steps girl, keep putting one foot in front of the other. huge hugs to you.