Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skipping Meals / Drinking & Eating

So I was Sleeved 2 weeks and 1 day ago and Im feeling GREAT down 28 pounds and loving it, Joined a gym, been walking 2 miles a day, but I have some questions. I got my sleeve done in Colombia so its hard for me to call on my surgeon everytime I need to ask the smallest things so I find myself here and just want to thank everyone for all the great tips and information I gave learned from all the great people that have had this procedure...

1. is Skipping meals.... So the doctors got me on this schedule...

8am 4 oz ensure

11am 4 oz fruit juice

2pm 4 oz Soup (puree)

5pm 4 oz Jello or apple sauce or yogurt

8pm 4 oz soup (puree)

11pm 4 oz fruit juice

Well I work 8am to 6pm Im great with my morning ensure... but I tend to get very busy and really just forget to eat have my juice at 11... Im pretty good getting my soup in at 2 and on occasion have forgotten my 5pm intake...yesterday was my birthday and I rushed home to get ready to go out totally forgot my 8pm soup and came home and ate some Jello at 11... I tend to skip meals here and there and honestly my biggest concern is that I will just crash at some point? How vital is it to get in every single scheduled thing. Im just not hungry. I always have a bottle of Water that seems to keep me pretty entertained. I dont feel overly tired or anything I feel fine...but will it catch up to me?

Question #2.... Being that I always have water with me.... mostly when Im eating my soup Ill take a gulp of water here and there . Am I causing any harm? I dont really understand the significance of not being able to drink and eat at the same time again I seem to be ok with it. I have the gurgles and I try to eat slow which im still working on but thank god I have not vomited even once since my procedure have had absolutely no complications and have lost almost 30 pounds since starting my preop diet Sept 6th.... any insight on these 2 things would be great! THANKS

Hi I am also approx. 2 weeks out. I had my surgery 9/15. I am not seasoned by far but as long as I am only having liquid ie. clear broth for Soup, I think it's okay to sip on a beverage with it. If I eat something like yogurt (which I haven't yet), I would think that I should wait an hour after eating the yogurt before drinking anything. Today I was out all day and went totally off schedule. Then when I ate some cottage cheese I think I ate one or two bits too much and it didn't feel too good. Now that I'm an hour past that I think I'll slowly sip some. I like that schedule you posted. I think I will post it on my desk for reference. I hope some others chime in here. I'll be on the look out. Happy Birthday BTW!

Hello,

I also had surgery two weeks ago. I am not sure you're supposed to be taking Ensure. I was told that is for people who have dietary deficiencies. You need to be on high Protein shakes that are low in calories and sugar. I am told need to consume 60 grams of Protein and drinks less than 14 grams of sugar.

I am still on liquids and have been taking the protein bullets at GNG 42 grams of protein. I sip that through the day and keeps me satisfied. Ensure was told a no-no.

The reason why you can't eat and drink is because Water or any other liquids push food down quickly from the stomach which will make you hungry faster. The point is to keep food in your stomach as long as possible to slow down digestion.

Hope this helps

Iliana

Keller, Texas

Dr Davidson Dallas

Another reason to not drink with meals is it causes the stomach contents to swell a bit and if you get too much swelling on a new sleeve you could cause a leak, or cause vomiting and retching, which could cause a leak. No liquids until way after meals...I'd think 2 hours but I don't know what your doctor recommends.

You need to get in at least 70 gms of Protein, less than 30n gms of carbs and 600-800 calories - otherwise you may have stalls; plus you may start burning muscle instead of fat. If you have trouble remembering to eat what your doctor has suggested, set an alarm on your cell phone or on your outlook at work to remind you -- you should eat/drink even if you aren't hungry. If you can't eat/drink all that your doc recomments, but you are drinking Water - then add some Protein to it, so you're at least getting your protein in at the same time as your fluids.

You should wait 45 minutes to 1 hour after eating. You can drink up until the time your start eating, then wait afterwards. The reason being the Water causes your stomach to empty faster as it washes it out of your stomach.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I was told that too; however Mac has posted research that shows it doesn't matter if you drink up until the time you eat - doesn't seem to change anything, so I haven't stuck so much with the rule as before eating but definitely stick to the rule of nothing to drink for 45 minutes AFTER eating - one time I forgot and it made me very nauseaus.

I drink right up until I am ready to eat. There is no way I can drink while eating, or for about 45 minutes afterward. If I do, I get this horrible bloated feeling and end up having to bring something back up. It just isn't worth it to me.

I was told that too; however Mac has posted research that shows it doesn't matter if you drink up until the time you eat - doesn't seem to change anything, so I haven't stuck so much with the rule as before eating but definitely stick to the rule of nothing to drink for 45 minutes AFTER eating - one time I forgot and it made me very nauseaus.

Some foods take longer than 45 minutes to clear the stomach, particularly fats. A lot of meats and some seafoods contain a lot of fat. I'm not into "real" food yet since I'm just 1 wk post op, but I think I'll be waiting 1 1/2 hours after eating before I drink. Just don't want to risk the vomits.

I'm not so bad drinking before a meal although I rarely do unless I am out somewhere, but, drinking with and directly after a meal is a big no no for me and just makes me vomit. I wait at least half an hour and then I take sips at first as gulping it down at any time only makes me burp and retch as well.

I'm 9 months out and just want to reiterate that the most important thing regarding intake is Protein and fluids (water). At every follow up visit the three questions my surgeon asks: are you getting your protein in, are you getting your fluids in, are you exercising? Don't skip any of those!