Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carrying your own meds to and from mexico

Is it a problem to carry your own meds (hypertension, thyroid meds) to and from Mexico in an unmarked container? Do they need to be in a marked prescription bottle? My Rx bottles are the huge ones that the mail order pharmacy uses...one size fits all, and I have a few tiny pills in the bottom of the bottles. I'd like to just put them in my little (unmarked) pill box to carry. But will that cause a problem when I cross the border coming home if I am "searched"?

Still trying to get all my ducks in a row, and pack light, before the trip!

Thanks for advice.

Wow, I didn't even give it any thought -- I just put all my pills in a 7-day pill box - one for each day that I took at the time and put it in my suitcase. Coming home I had all the nexium mups I had purchased at the Pharmacy, along with some soradol and put them in my suitcase and never gave it another stop -- they don't care what you bring into Mexico and I really don't think they care what you take out of Mexico as long as you declare it - i.e., fruit, meats, narcotics. Nexium Mups isn't a narcotic so I truthfully don't think customs in Mexicali is going to care what you're taking out -- when we drove into Mexicali ourselves - we had to go back to Calexico to mail something and othe rthan sitting in line to get out of Mexicali for over an hour (it was early in the morning) we had no trouble going through customs. On the trip home the line wasn't as long - and the only thing the customs officer did was look in our back window and said have a great day.

When I had my surgery, and Ernesto was driving, all they did was ask for all of our passports and then called our name out one-by-one and gave us the passports back -- they didn't even look in the windows. Ernesto goes back and forth every single day and they know him and who he is transporting.

Do what makes you comfortable; however, I think you're stressing out about it way too much.

I think you are right!

:blush:

You can go to Walmart or walgreens or other pharmacy and I have had them print out labels for my medication that we get mailed. Though it may be something they just do for me....cause I have so many Rx's filled there for short term stuff with the kids...... but school requires it be printed and have extra copy of it too!

Nobody cares; trust me. We drove over the border both ways. Nobody searches you unless the drug dog alerts and that isn't going to happen with prescription medication.