Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are my March Bandsters!!

Wow, everyone is doing wonderfully. Congratulations!

I was banded on 3/30 and have lost 45 pounds so far. The hardest part for me was the fill process. My surgeon makes you wait a full 8 weeks for a first fill and, when I did get it, it did nothing. The second fill was double the first amount and gave me some idea of what restriction was but it was this last fill (#3, 8 days ago) that finally gave me proper restriction.

Only one person has noticed my weight loss but my clothes are getting baggy and I will soon need to go to a lower size. The current slacks that I am wearing were skin tight before surgery and now they're dragging on the floor and slip right on so I can tell I'm making progress.

I haven't had any serious complications but have vomited once after this third fill. I didn't chew enough, got the golf ball (make it a tennis ball) feeling/pain and ran to the bathroom. NOT pleasant. Because I was not restricted until a week ago and could eat anything with no problem, I am now learning to take my time eating, chewing well, and stopping the minute I feel discomfort.

Because of needing a total knee replacement (arthritis) I am unable to work-out at a gym. I have gradually increased the amount of walking I do, work out in the garden and, in general, have a lot more energy. As for a NSV, being able to sit in MOST chairs and fit comfortably ranks high on the list.

Banded March 1. 3 fills putting me at 2.5cc in my 4cc band. I've lost 92 lbs and 5 sizes, coming up on 6. I cannot believe it's nearly been 5 months. The first month creeped by, and that seems like it was yesterday.

How is your weight loss? I have lost 44 lbs. since the a.m. of my surgery; 60 all together! :clap2:

Have you had your first fill? I had my first fill on July 12; it was 1cc; seven sticks and finally the doc hit the port. :nervous

Has any one noticed your shrinking? EVERYONE notices when they see me! My next-door neighbor kept me out talking to her about it for over an hour the other day! :tea:

Complications or issues your having? When I don't chew chew chew or eat slowly enough or take small enough bites, I PB or slime. :frusty:

I am hit and miss with exercise which makes me very disappointed in myself! I've used a zillion excuses...being on vacation, staying with my mother who is ill, etc. Stupid excuses! I recently bought 2 Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the ___________ and I must say...the 30 minutes zoom by! I just have to make myself do them! :)

As for NSVs...I've had so many!! Wearing a size 14/16 and buying new clothes, sitting in the movie theatre with room to spare in my seat, being able to say NO and mean it, buying new rings because my old ones are too big (as in flying off my hands when I talk), seeing people who haven't seen me in a while and having them rave about how much better I look; being told that I look AT LEAST 10 years younger, feeling like I want to do something other than stay in bed all day! :target:

This restrictive device has given me the freedom from the prison that held me captive for so many years: food. :sun:

Love this thread.....so glad we're back into communicating again!!!! :)

I have lost 70lbs since 3/20/06 :target:

I have had 2 fills. The first fill was 2.4cc they took out 1.8cc and put me up to 3cc and it was too much so went back down to 2.9cc.

Complications/issues: the fill may be too much. My doc isn't sure he agrees since the barium on flouro goes through in 1sec. Of course, that was in the evening. I have lost around 20 of those pounds in the last 2 wks or so. I am on liquids for 2 wks more....I don't get sick w/ that.. but boy I sure do if I eat more than a bite or two...then it's throw up city!!

People at work are just catching on because I didn't start there until after I had lost 30lbs or so. My husband has seen it but SUDDENLY he has REALLY noticed....I know it's tough since he sees me daily to catch it.

My NSV's: I am in size 18....haven't been there in years!!! I was in a size 26/28--don't know if that's called 10 sizes or 5?!??! How does that work? :tea:

Keep up the good work everyone WE CAN DO IT!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -70lbs :)

I was banded March 15th and I've lost around 43 lbs. I am scheduled for my 3rd fill Monday and I'm a little nervous about it. I have slimed and/or PB'd a lot these past few weeks...a LOT. I am probably still taking too big of bites and not chewing enough. It's weird. I sometimes eat just a couple of bites and have to stop...but an hour later, I can eat all of it with no problem at all. I just don't understand the whole thing. I feel like even though I'm puking sometimes, I still need more restriction, because I shouldn't be able to eat that much, right????

I have been pleased with my weight loss, but I wish it would drop off faster. Several people have noticed the loss and THAT FEELS SOOOOOOOO GOOD. My size 16 jeans are getting loose and that's a great feeling, too.

Does anyone still fight head hunger? I know I do. Another thing - I'm not really watching my calorie intake at all. I just try to do it all with Portion Control and watching what TYPES of foods I eat (mainly I just eat what I can tolerate...not what's low in calories). That's probably not a good thing.

For those of you who have lost 50 or more pounds since March...what's your secret?

- - rhlane

Rhlane--

Be careful getting filled if you haven't gotten "control" of your last fill....if you are pb'ing bunches and throwing up w/ this fill....you could make it much worse!!

Ask yourself if you are truly hungry an hour later when you can go back? I am usually not--I start drinking my Water and that "fills" me up even more I feel like. I think head hunger is definitely a battle in for me!! Your not alone!

My secret has been lots of liquids this last 2 weeks....the band is definitely controlling me! I also have much too lose I have 10more pounds just to be 1/2 way to goal!!!!! That means I have around 160 to lose if the charts are correct.....so don't get upset if your in lose 16's....that means your getting closer!!! Your doing GREAT!!!!

God Bless,

melody

rhlane...

Sounds like you may have first bite syndrome. I'd suggest drinking some hot tea or coffee...maybe a few bites of Soup to open you up for the food. Then you should be able to eat more than a couple of bites in the beginning. You should be able to eat your portion. JMO.

Raven NSV - Non scale Victory..

Girl, if you need loud music and a dance floor, then you go out and find one.. there is NOTHING (well maybe dh) that I love more then loud 80's music and a dance floor.

Alison - 69 Pounds wow thats great, I know you must be looking a feeling better.. Ive found that people are afraid to say anything because they dont want you to know that thay noticed how fat we were before, it takes time.. hang in there!

Still stuck at 92 lbs lost... it's very much "like me" (now) to lose consistently for a month, then go a few weeks with no movement. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for 100lbs down @ 6 mos post-op, but if I don't make it, who cares. I would have never dreamed I'd be where I'm at today. My best hope was 100 lbs at 1 year. ;):D

92 pounds??????

I want to know how you did it, too.

That's A LOT of weight to lose in such a short time.

Give us ALL YOUR SECRETS!!!!!! :help:

(Please?)...I didn't want to sound rude. :)

- - Rhlane

i was banded on 3/23 and so far have lost about 58lbs. ive had two fills and im sitting at 2.5cc's. ive got the smaller band. i havent gotten a fill for the past two dr appts. the weight is coming off slowly but surely. so far im pretty pleased with my progress. ive got about 41 more pounds to go. exercise is going great, we work out about 6 times a week doing treadmill, bike and weights. i still havent learned to stop eating before i get miserable and start the pb's but im working on it.

3/22 lost 20 pounds.. i have had reflux and heart burn today aug 1st i went to the doctor he totally unfilled me.. said he thinks that the doctor who did the segery put a band that was to small on me.. but i feel alot better since the unfill. going back home to longisland NY to see my orginal doctor because he has th the x ray machines in his office. Alittle scard to find out what she thinks.. a little scard because i can eat w/e i want to eat right now... but i had had a small dinner.( three fish sticks cucumber slices with tamato and four tatar tots. with a glass crystal light.

have a question....... did any of your doctors say anything about scaring around your band?

No secret. I think most of it has to do with needing to lose 200 lbs to begin with. I'm thrilled. I definitely had much lower expectations when I showed up at the hospital, so I just keep my fingers crossed and enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Love this thread.....so glad we're back into communicating again!!!! :)

I have lost 70lbs since 3/20/06 :)

I have had 2 fills. The first fill was 2.4cc they took out 1.8cc and put me up to 3cc and it was too much so went back down to 2.9cc.

Complications/issues: the fill may be too much. My doc isn't sure he agrees since the barium on flouro goes through in 1sec. Of course, that was in the evening. I have lost around 20 of those pounds in the last 2 wks or so. I am on liquids for 2 wks more....I don't get sick w/ that.. but boy I sure do if I eat more than a bite or two...then it's throw up city!!

People at work are just catching on because I didn't start there until after I had lost 30lbs or so. My husband has seen it but SUDDENLY he has REALLY noticed....I know it's tough since he sees me daily to catch it.

My NSV's: I am in size 18....haven't been there in years!!! I was in a size 26/28--don't know if that's called 10 sizes or 5?!??! How does that work? :)

Keep up the good work everyone WE CAN DO IT!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Is your surgeon OK with you being so tight you can only get fluids down? If you've lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, you're likely in ketosis. I was told "proper" restriction allows you to eat small amounts of solid Proteins (chicken, beef, etc) without pain.