Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah backs out of lapband surgery

Some positive educational publicity for the band would be wonderful. Education of the public is one of the best things we can do!

Skye

Here's what I think is interesting - and it's actually *real* news from last week: Oprah is writing a diet book. Yes another one. She won't call it a diet book, but it's about weight control and how to have a "healthy body." Same difference.

A friend emailed this excerpt to me. Not sure where it comes from, but it pretty much says it all:

<i>Wanna buy a miracle diet book? Wanna know the weight-loss secrets of one of the 20th century's most infamously unsuccessful yoyo dieters? A woman whose struggle with the scales is legendary, despite the billions of dollars she has to fund personal chefs, trainers and dietary advisers?

This week, infotainment juggernaut Oprah Winfrey received the biggest advance for a non-fiction book in publishing history. In diet terms, she is the biggest winner.

The book, which Oprah will co-write with her weight-loss guru and personal trainer Bob Greene, reportedly trumped the $16 million advance paid for the memoirs of former US president and cigar aficionado Bill Clinton.</i>

I don't spend much time thinking about Oprah. From what I read, she is motivated by wanting to help people (which doesn't mean she never has a diva moment.) I've never heard anything about Oprah being a hypocrite, but this book is the biggest act of hypocricy I've ever seen. Lose the weight, and keep it off for at least five years. <i>Then</i> you can start giving advice to other people. Writing one now is like a chain smoker giving other people advice on how to kick the habit. She'll make herself look foolish.

Diane is right. Anything Oprah touches turns golden. Just look at how her book club has increased sells for those authors. I remember years ago on the show Oprah rolled out the equivalent of fat that she had lost, I think on Optifast. I wonder how many of her viewers tried Optifast after that. I venture to guess Optifast sales soared.

If it were me, and I had the type of influence that Oprah has, I wouldn't say a word about having the band until I was years post-op. Because if it doesn't work for her, millions of people will get the idea that it won't work for them either.

SleepJean,

LOL on the analogy of writing the diet book. I notice that Oprah does something with Green every few years. So, maybe they enjoy some kind of mutual support agreement.

Hey, where did you get your weight loss ticker tape?

After reading this, I think I might write a letter to Oprah. I've never thought I'd want to make my surgery THAT public, but I would love to see her do a show on the band and show that it really does change lives for the better.....

I think that it will become a national epidemic and I think that anyone with a real weight struggle will have the surgery. which I think is great, it helps you loosae weight and help you learn when you are full without starving and little complications and one day they will have it all down with out slippage and stuff..as far as Oprah anyone with a weight problem has to have looked into surgery I think one day she will do it. as far as the rags they usually end up being true! i hate to say that but look at Nick and Jessica, Anna Nicole, and All the pregnant people that said they weren't and just delivered..

Saying the lap band is taking the easy way out, is like saying taking medication for type 2 diabetes, or high pressure medication, etc. is the easy way out. Gee, we could all diet and exercise our way to health, unfortunately few of us have the stoicism to succeed. I see being overweight and constantly feeling hungry as being as serious as my depression; I take medication for my depression and I have the band to help me control my hunger. These last four weeks since getting banded have been the first time in nine years that I haven't battled hunger pangs and felt like a loser because I always ended up overeating. I appologize to no one for using something which is relatively safe and has already helped me lose 25 pounds. I feel great and I love my band.:)

One of the staff at the clinic has a saying about this. Something along the lines of "If you were in a burning house, would you climb out a window instead of using the door?". Not that she means WLS is easy, she is banded herself. But that worrying about what is "right" or "moral" or whatever when you are in a bad situation is silly.

i know a lot of rich fat women. lol i don't think its money. she just likes her fried chicken!! :)

Oh yeah, really?

Other than Oprah - do we know a lot of rich celebrity women who are fat?

:) Roseanne is always on a diet and she eventually just got a Fobi ( RnY bypass) pouch years back. Anna Nicole finally won her lawsuit and first thing she did was get the weight off.

Here in Texas, rich women are like buses - there's always another one coming. And down here they are almost NEVER ever fat. Literally. In the Lone Star State, being rich is synonymous with being thin. :guess And also preferably blonde, but they do let the occasional brunette into their exclusive ranks! :heh:

And in towns like L.A. and New York City - I almost never saw rich women who were slightly overweight, much less fat or obese. Just doesn't happen often, I bet.

I think that for the most part, in this country WEALTH = NORMAL (or Thin) WEIGHT.

Anything other than that is an exception.

At least in Texas, Los Angeles, and New York City.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

Hi,

I am glad that this post regurgitated itself. I dont think writing letters to Oprah seems to help. I tried that a few years ago and didnt get a response. Now if we could drop a huge Fed Ex package with 5,000 letters from successful lapbanders, that would be interesting....LOL. Just let me know when you need me to make a guest appearance on Oprah and I will so be there!!

I know this sounds crazy, but the courier service approach works cause I did this to Richard Branson in England about an idea I had and his marketing people did call and followup with me. THe answer was still no, but it was a 15 dollar investment and it got me a response!!!!

Babs in TX

334/180

-150 ish