Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ID bracelets

I don't (yet), but I have seen several who do. Something like... No NG tube without fluoroscopy, or Do Not Intubate and something about a gastric band or medical implant.

I suppose it could come in very handy if you ever got in an accident. I am looking for something a little more feminine than the dog tag style you find everywhere.

I need more info on why some wear a Bracelet. I have asked this question twice, once during pre-op class and another via e-mail to my surgeon. :confused: I got a "no" both times. What is it about the "No NG tube without scope"? My surgeon also works ER trauma, so I'm sure he has a clear understanding of this. I think a lot of banded people do wear the bracelets. Can anyone specifically describe why it would be essential in the event of an accident/emergency? I love details. :biggrin1: Thanks in advance!!

Yes, I wear one. Ira from this board (IVAN708) is an EMT and told me not to get the fancy ones b/c they can be mistaken for jewelery.

Mine says:

On the front:

Name: NJ Chick - See Back

On the back:

Gastric Lap-Band

No N/G Tubing without Scope

Doctors name

Doc's phone #, town, state

3Loves, my doc says its a good idea. Incase something happens, I surely don't want some one sticking a tube down my throat to my stomach and damaging my pouch b/c they can't see the band to get thru to my stomach. IMHO...better safe than sorry.

My Bracelet says:

adjust. gastric band

w/ abdominal port

no blind NG

ICE (in case of emergency) and my hubby's number

Severe Mushroom Allergy

I was told that it is important to wear some sort of medical ID in case you were unconsious from an accident. The band is not a standard medical implant and many ER docs don't know what they are. If they see them in Xray or catscan they need to know what is going on, so they don't get the bright idea to try and opperate. Also if they had to do emergency surgery, they could try to aviod the band, tubing, and port. ~Mandy

I can see why some might think it necessary, however, just a thought. IF you were in a serious accident OR went into cardiac failure for some tragic reason, what would be most important? Reviving you, saving your life from some serious trauma or wasting time being concerned about a gastric band?

I have a keychain that states I'm on Anticoagulants cause that's life-threatening, in the event I were in a terrible accident. The fact that I have a lapband should never take precedence over a serious traumatic injury or cardiac event, in my opinion. Being intubated is very necessary in these events. We can deal with the band later. YMMV

but being intubated can cause serious damage to the pouch and stomach. Not losing the band, but having to have major surgery to repair the stomach, when that could be avoided. My band doctor says that it is just a good heads up to the ER staff, also if you need CPR, the port can be felt during chest compressions. Paramedics should be aware of the port. I'm not saying that it should stop treatment, but the more information an ER staff has the better. ~Mandy

I am confused, If this it is a problem to be intubated why don't the doctors that put the band in insist that we all have some kind of identifier?

From what I understand it is more the NG tube than intubation that is a problem. But I would want to get as much info to the doc as possible. I have to wear an ID bacelet anyway so I added my band info to it. ~Mandy

Same here. I need a Bracelet for penicillin and peanut allergies, so I added "GRASTRIC LAD BAND" "NO NG W/OUT SCOPE" to my ID band. I got it from Lauren's Hope. Plain metal plate with a caduceus emblem and a black leather band. I never remove it. Intubation (for breathing purposes) does not go into the stomach. A naso-gastric (NG) tube does.

Just for the record, intubation does NOT involve the stomach at all. Intubation is an artificial airway that is inserted to help a patient breathe. It is positioned in the trachea, just above the point where the respiratory system branches out to the left and right lungs. Do not intubate (DNI) is associated with do not resusitate (DNR) and the only time the medical community pays any attention to DNI/DNR is when it's written on a legal document.

Alert bracelets are NOT advance directives and should only serve to do what they say, alert people of an allergy, illness, device, etc.

That is why my surgeon says to put No Blind NG on the Med alert tag. ~Mandy

I just ordered one after reading on here why it was a good idea. Haven't received it yet, but one side has allergy info and the other side has Adj. Gastric Band...no blind NG along with my doc's name and phone number.

Emily

I had complications when I had my surgery and had to have an NG while I was still in the hospital. My surgeon did it and only with the scope. I never even thought about it after surgery. Makes sense to me. To many medical personnel have never even heard of the band.