Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed! Gaining Weight!

Hi everyone!

I am so happy to have found this forum! I need advice/help/encouragement please! I had the VSG a month ago and I lost 26 lbs in the first 2 weeks and nothing since. In fact, I have gained 2 pounds this week. I am eating almost nothing - I can't because I have constant nausea and indigestion and don't feel like eating. I feel like I have a lump in my upper stomach. I am taking Nexium but it's not helping much. I want to lose about 60 lbs still and am not too worried about how long it will take just that I keep losing. Any advice? This plateau is making me regret my decision to do the sleeve. Thanks! :biggrin0:

Hi everyone!

I am so happy to have found this forum! I need advice/help/encouragement please! I had the VSG a month ago and I lost 26 lbs in the first 2 weeks and nothing since. In fact, I have gained 2 pounds this week. I am eating almost nothing - I can't because I have constant nausea and indigestion and don't feel like eating. I feel like I have a lump in my upper stomach. I am taking Nexium but it's not helping much. I want to lose about 60 lbs still and am not too worried about how long it will take just that I keep losing. Any advice? This plateau is making me regret my decision to do the sleeve. Thanks! :biggrin0:

I have those same feelings and also am not able to eat that much at this time (3 weeks out). Have you had an Upper GI to see if there is a problem and why you are feeling this way? I am having one on 7/10. I think it is because I had a sliding hiatal hernia repaired and I still have a lot of swelling ... I'm hoping it's not anything more than that.

As for not losing, are you logging what you are eating and keeping track of your calories/carbs/protein? Also, are you getting in enough fluids? I think you have to get in enough Protein and fluids, and limit your carbs and calories and exercise to keep the weight coming off.

Hi everyone!

I am so happy to have found this forum! I need advice/help/encouragement please! I had the VSG a month ago and I lost 26 lbs in the first 2 weeks and nothing since. In fact, I have gained 2 pounds this week. I am eating almost nothing - I can't because I have constant nausea and indigestion and don't feel like eating. I feel like I have a lump in my upper stomach. I am taking Nexium but it's not helping much. I want to lose about 60 lbs still and am not too worried about how long it will take just that I keep losing. Any advice? This plateau is making me regret my decision to do the sleeve. Thanks! :cursing:

Don't worry about the plateau. You're body is normalizing and, as long as you stick with the eating plan, the scale WILL move downward. I stayed the same for nearly 4 weeks and then the scale began moving regularly. It will be easier when you're on solids. Focus on that weight you already lost!

Seems like everyone hits a plateau after starting solids. Are you constipated? Could be why you are nauseated if you are. I got very constipated when I started solids, had to add some Fiber in just to stay regular. I seem to hit one plateau every month for a week or two, seems I retain fluids and then don't show any loss for a while.

Edited by kalew

kalew...that's me too. It's directly related to my cycle. It drives me absolutely batty.

I also have a lot of Constipation and usually end up taking a laxative once a week just to be able to go.

For example...the last few days were ovulation time. The scale went UP 4 lbs over that time...I could see the fluids in my ankles. I took a laxative night before last and also took some diurex to help with that Fluid build up and this morning that 4 lbs was gone and I had lost another lb. I expect maybe I'll lose a lb or so over the next week and then nothing again as I get closer to my period.

I tell you one thing though...I'm really learning alot about my body through all of this. lol

Hey,

Congratulations on losing 26lb in a month (I am 10 weeks out and I've lost 30lb, which I am chuffed with!)

Try not to stress over the stall thing, I, like many others get them often, so I measure and look for other positive signs, like loose rings, loose clothes, the ability to do exercise again etc.

The one thing I have noticed about myself is my Water consumption... I do better when I get plenty of clear fluids... have you tried that?

BUT, remember four weeks out isn't long and you are doing great... hope the stall breaks for you soon x

Hi everyone!

I am so happy to have found this forum! I need advice/help/encouragement please! I had the VSG a month ago and I lost 26 lbs in the first 2 weeks and nothing since. In fact, I have gained 2 pounds this week. I am eating almost nothing - I can't because I have constant nausea and indigestion and don't feel like eating. I feel like I have a lump in my upper stomach. I am taking Nexium but it's not helping much. I want to lose about 60 lbs still and am not too worried about how long it will take just that I keep losing. Any advice? This plateau is making me regret my decision to do the sleeve. Thanks! :w00t:

I am sorry this is happening to you, but i understand how you feel. . i had hit a plateau for 3 1/2 months! Horrible, but i didn't let that get me down. however, yes here comes the big however, you have to eat in order to get the metabolism going, or as you know, your metabolism slows down big time and you go into survival mode, not losing, feeling sluggish, tired, etc. . . so try your best to follow doctor advice or go visit the doctor and find out whats going on. . . good luck

I agree with thinoneday. I keep seeing postings where people are only eating 600 cal a day. That is not enough!! I am eating around a 1000 cal, 60+ gms of Protein, try to keep my carbs and fat low, usually I am about 30% for protein, carbs and fat on the graph my app shows. I'm working out, I am 5'6"not small boned or anything. I feel good, sore from the exercise, but I feel good. If I drop down below say 800 cal I get really tired! Have to take naps! And I'm loosing wt. about 1lb a week. It's not terribly fast, I get stalls, then drop a few lbs. Was down 2 lbs yesterday after 2 weeks. It works!

You probably need to eat more calories. Your metabolism is non-existant. Also, talk to your doc about Prevacid Solutabs. Miracle drug! If your insurance won't cover it costco has the best price. Good luck and hang in there! It will get better :rolleyes: .