Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My new best "aid"

FINALLY -- I SLEPT LAST NIGHT!!!!

I've been having an issue with excessive mucus and been in contact with Dr. Aceves and apparently this is a very uncommon problem with sleevers (Leave it to me!). Within 5 minutes of lying down -- not flat on my back mind you but with 2 pillows or even in a semi-upright position, I would get this tickle in my throat and start coughing and cough up phlem (sorry to be so graphic). So, on top of already not sleeping, partly because of this cough, my throat stayed constantly raw.

Dr. Aceves told me to take my nexium, which I have been doing, and not to eat or DRINK 3 hours before bedtime. I don't eat 3 hours before bedtime, so not a problem; however, not drinking for 3 hours is awful as I am sooooo thirsty all the time. He also told me to take liquid benadryl.

Well, I did that last night and for the first time since I've been home, I only had 1 small coughing fit and I slept all night from midnight until 8 am this morning. OMG did it feel so good.

And, my throat is barely sore at all this morning.

I will be taking benadryl again tonight and I hope and pray it has the same results - no coughing fits and hours of restful sleep.< /strong>

Just had to share!!!!

Is this a problem that only developed with the sleeve? Or have you suffered from it for longer..... my 12 year old is terribly snotty and always has been and he vomits spontaneously in his sleep. Its truly awful but he has so much mucous and when he gets a cold or something and there's even more he will just spew in the middle of the night without even waking up. Very dangerous and very disgusting .... he sleeps on the top bunk and usually manages to get the wall and it runs down eeeeeeeeeeeeeew. We have to pull the entire bed out (weighs a ton).

He has no food allergies - this seems to be a problem in my family, I wasnt sooo bad but could never ever breathe through my nose, my middle sister was nicknamed "candles" for the rivers of green snot that hung out of her nose till she had her adenoids removed and my mother is having awful trouble with post nasal drip at night now in her 60's.

Ewan is getting an adnoid and tonsilectomy in about 2 weeks time - cant come soon enough. He has sleep apnoea too.

I feel for you, I've had a flu for the past week and I have a cough that starts to tickle the minute I lie down at night and its driving me NUTS. I havent had a full night's sleep for a week and not surprisingly, I havent been well enough to run and have been eating crap to try to get energy coz I'm so tired. I find it very very hard to stick to healthy habits during the day when I dont get enough sleep. I'm heading out for a run right now even though there's NOTHING I would rather do less!

Is this a problem that only developed with the sleeve?

and my mother is having awful trouble with post nasal drip at night now in her 60's. . .

I feel for you, I've had a flu for the past week and I have a cough that starts to tickle the minute I lie down at night and its driving me NUTS. I havent had a full night's sleep for a week and not surprisingly . . .

The excess mucus is a problem that has only developed since the sleeve. I've always had a problem with post nasal drip - not every night, but some nights.

What I have now is what you are describing with your flu ... however, the benadryl seems to have done the trick. Went to bed at 11 last night and slept until 6 this morning uninterupted. Well, one coughing fit before I fell asleep, but nothing more.

Hopefully in the very near future the excess mucus will dissipate and I won't have to take benadryl to sleep at night.

I'm not a big medicine person and don't like to have to take anything any longer than need be. Vitamins and supplements are fine; however, I just don't like taking prescribed medications or unnecessary OTC meds if I don't have too.

Plus, even though I took the benadryl at 9:00 last night, and slept all night, I feel drugged and groggy and could probably go back to bed and sleep several more hours. I think I'll move it back to 8:00 tonight and see if that makes any difference.

The benadryl worked its charm again last night - another good night's sleep. Hopefully not only is it allowing me to sleep, it's also drying up the excess mucus.

Two full nights sleep in a row -- and even better, no weird dreams.

I might actually get used to this...LOL

Great, that is good news. I know what you mean about feeling groggry, I feel that way from the nyquil. I have to take that when I am already in bed or risk sleeping on the bathroom floor

Great, that is good news. I know what you mean about feeling groggry, I feel that way from the nyquil. I have to take that when I am already in bed or risk sleeping on the bathroom floor

I'm going to try to go without it tonight and see what happens...if the coughing starts, then I'll get up and take 1/2 dose and see how that works.

I'm going to try to go without it tonight and see what happens...if the coughing starts, then I'll get up and take 1/2 dose and see how that works.

So I didn't take any benadryl and I didn't have a coughing fit and I slept all night. Maybe my body is finally get back into "normal" whatever that may be ... still have the sensitive nose and everything tastes sickening sweet that I enjoyed before surgery.