Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Am Really Ticked At Dr. Speigel

I just called the office to set up an appointment for a fill, they are only doing them at the Surgi-Center now?

What is the co-pay there for UHC, they are out of network on my policy???

Anyone know????

Sue I just went this morning. My co-pay with UHC was 25.00. I love that we now go to surgi-center. They and you can see the restriction and she can tell how much you need.

I will be banded by Dr. Speigel on August 10th, 2006. Because I haven't received much information from his office (even when I call and probe) regarding pre and post-op, I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I called his office three weeks ago to see if I need to start a two week liquid Protein diet that I have read about other banders doing before their surgery. I was told by Spiegel's office that there was no need for me to do the 2 week liquid diet to shrink my liver and that during my pre-op (day before surgery) they would go over everything with me. Thing is...I sure would like to know what to expect, especially post-opt. I know I'll have to do Clear liquids, liquids, mushies, etc for a while, but what kind and for how long. Maybe I'm a bit anal, but I sure would feel better if I had this information and could prepare myself before hand (going shopping, etc. instead of having to do it after my surgery when I won't feel like it). I'm sure other people have had this experience with this office, since it seems it doesn't have the best reputation around. It sure would be nice if he had a friendly and helpful office staff to go along with what I hear is great surgical skill. I would love to know anything about your post-op experience with Dr. Speigel that you would have found helpful had you known before your surgery, as well as how long it took you to recooperate. I have my surgery on Thursday and am planning to go back to my desk job on Monday - think this is possible? Thanks in advance!

BTW-I currently live in Austin and heard from one of the seminars I attended that there will soon be a satelite center in Austin for fills, support groups, and pre-ops. Does anyone have any updated information on this.

Dr. Spiegel requires 1 day before of liquids, nothing after midnight. Post op is 1 week of Clear Liquids, 1 wk of thicker liquids, 1 wk of mushies, and 4th week regular food. He does not want you to have Protein shakes that you mix. Everything for him must be premixed Protein drinks like ensure, slim fast. He does not want you to have oatmeal.

I came out of surgery with a little pain. By the time I went home I was doing OK. I never took pain medicine. Discomfort from surgery was expected, but no more or less than normal. I bounced back really fast and didn't have any issues. I did have some gas and pain in left shoulder. I used gas x once and heating pad the rest of the time. This lasted about 2 weeks, but I didn't have pain like some experience. My left shoulder pain would come and go and I could relate it to food eaten.

After the 2 weeks of liquids he wants you to eat 3 meals a day and no Snacks. He gives a list of foods to eat and foods to avoid.

You go back to his office 1 wk after surgery. The nurse looks at you. I thought this was a waste of my time, but I guess you need to do it. You may have some questions or issues with your incisions.

I go to the surgicenter for my fills. They have taken good care of me there and I prefer it there than his office. I have had no need to call or consult with his office at this time. I knew going in that I wouldn't be in touch with him unless I had no other alternative.

Bottom Line: I feel great after the surgery, feel confident he did an excellent job with the surgery and with placement of the band. If I have any problems I don't think it will be a result of his surgery. I am an older bandster and wanted the best surgeon. I will get my hand holding from my PCP.

Hope this helps. Message me if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Do you know if I will have to go back to HIS office, or if I can go to a location in San Antonio, etc...something a little closer? Houston is a 3-4 hour trip and I have not planned to take any additional time off from work for post-op peek-a-boos unless absolutely neccessary (especially since he's only open during the work week).

Thanks for all of your help Barbara!:)

I would call them and ask. I don't see why the place that is doing the fill can't see you. I'm not sure they would even know if you didn't make the appointment. :) They also say to see him every 2 months regardless. I'm not sure I see the value in that either. Guess I'd better decide soon since it will two months on the 13th. Call and talk to Pam. She was pretty good to talk with when I had pre op questions.

Good luck