Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking the first step

Hello everyone. I actually joined in October 2011 because I was considering the lap band then, but I didn't feel ready to take that first step then and wanted to try to lose the weight any other way than surgery. Well, nearly two years later, and I am back because I have come to the realization that I need some help. Here is a little information about me. I am 39 years old and am 5' 2" and currently weigh 225 pounds. My BMI is 41.5. I'm scheduled to go to the seminar on the 21st of September in Fayetteville, GA. I have Tricare Prime and I am hoping I can get banded by the end of the year. I have already been diagnosed with Obstructive sleep Apnea, and use the CPAP (not successfully either), I have Asthma and medication has not be effective in controlling it. I also have severe joint pain. This year alone, I've tried weight watchers (only lost about 10 pounds in 8 months), I go to Zumba, I walk, I stopped drinking soda for a long period of time, and none of it really worked. I am ready now because I need the help because nothing else is working for me. I am fotunate because my husband is very supportive and so are my kids. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I hope my insurance will approve it and I can start my journey soon.

I would love to meet new friends on this journey and hear from anyone that can give me advice, support, and just a shoulder to lean on when I need it. If anyone is in the Peachtree City/Newnan/Fayettevill Georgia area, let me know.

Thanks

That is wonderful you are starting the best journey to help you with your weight. I love the band. I am off all meds except for the required (by my doctor) vitamins and minerals. I don't snore any more either.

Good luck.

Hello everyone. I actually joined in October 2011 because I was considering the lap band then' date=' but I didn't feel ready to take that first step then and wanted to try to lose the weight any other way than surgery. Well, nearly two years later, and I am back because I have come to the realization that I need some help. Here is a little information about me. I am 39 years old and am 5' 2" and currently weigh 225 pounds. My BMI is 41.5. I'm scheduled to go to the seminar on the 21st of September in Fayetteville, GA. I have Tricare Prime and I am hoping I can get banded by the end of the year. I have already been diagnosed with Obstructive sleep Apnea, and use the CPAP (not successfully either), I have Asthma and medication has not be effective in controlling it. I also have severe joint pain. This year alone, I've tried weight watchers (only lost about 10 pounds in 8 months), I go to Zumba, I walk, I stopped drinking soda for a long period of time, and none of it really worked. I am ready now because I need the help because nothing else is working for me. I am fotunate because my husband is very supportive and so are my kids. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I hope my insurance will approve it and I can start my journey soon.

I would love to meet new friends on this journey and hear from anyone that can give me advice, support, and just a shoulder to lean on when I need it. If anyone is in the Peachtree City/Newnan/Fayettevill Georgia area, let me know.

Thanks[/quote']

Good luck!

Welcome aboard. We are one big community who like to share thoughts, get q's answered and live the lifestyle with one another. Just drop us a line if you have q's, need advice/support or just want to give us an update!

You can do this! You are in the right place, just like you we have all been in your shoes, with no where else to turn, with hopes and dreams of a better life. Ask as many questions as you can and take all experiences in. Many of us have blogs...READ them!!

Good luck =)

Hello...are we separated at birth? The things you are experiencing are similar to mine, I was also diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in February. I'm happy to say that the band is a dream come true for me and has eleviated all of my comorbids - I no longer need any medications, no longer need my CPAP and I feel like I did in my 20's again.

Good luck on your journey, you're doing the right thing and you'll be a new person a year from now. It only took a couple of months for me...I hope your results are similar or better than mine.

Hi Kespy, I am in the throes of the pre-op process and really excited about getting banded. This site has been the best source of information and inspiration. I will be 52 at the end of September and wish I had investigated this years ago as, like everyone here, I have struggled and worked so hard for so long but without success. I'm willing to do all the work but I need it to work; the band is going to give me that edge. The missing link. I need to do something about the joint pain, fatigue and sleep issues, plus feel better about myself. Good luck to you!

Hi I am also tricare prime. I am 44 and have a bmi of 36'. It went very quick. I saw my pcp in May he put paper work in for a surgeon. Had my appointment June 26. He waited 3 weeks before he submitted his paper work. It came back approved in 3 days. Then I had to eight for the nutritionist and psych evail. Finished them on August 12 had my date by the 16th. I live near fort hood so the nutritionist there spotted it up by doing one on one. Push the fact you need for medical reasons. It made them move faster as opposed to I just want to lose the weight. I am diabetic out of control sugar, high blood pressure and had a stroke. Praying for you... good luck!