Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise question: When can I start jumping and jogging?

Hi,

I am 2 month postop and 4 weeks ago I started to go back to the gym. As of now I only dare to go to cardio classes such as zumba or step aerobic, because I was told that I cannot have abdominal exercises for until 3 month postop. I am doing better and better at zumba, but I cannot really do jumping jacks or running in place and have to do/fake something else instead. I feel like my belly is just baggy and my muscles do not hold the port in place. I was wondering if someone remembers when were they able to do jumping jacks again after surgery??

Maybe I am impatient, but I would like to get back to my exercise routine.

Thanks!!

My surgeon told me that after 2 weeks there are no exercise restrictions but....every surgeon is different :)

Yes I was told at my post op appointment all was a go, but it is up to your doctor they know what's best for you.

Hi Heather,

I worked out pre-band a lot. So when I was cleared for workouts I went back to what I was doing. Did you workout before....? To be honest my stomach really jumped around right after surgry at 245 but no more than normal. It still does it today in the 180's! I was worried too as I do a lot of yoga including full back bends and I was worried I was going to pop the port off and he laughed at me and said dont you worry it's not going to move...... I would check again if your worried but don't use your band as a workout excuse! I have plenty of them already :). Trust your new body it's going to be awesome!

Good luck with your journey!

I had to wait to be cleared for abdominal exercise too. One thing I found with the pulling feeling from bouncing around was wearing a compression top really helped. I had to wear one often in the beginning. My nurse actually recommended it because my pet area kept hurting from all of the tugging from hard workouts. Don't give up. It's still early in the game. You'll find what will work for you.

Listen to your body. I started running at around 6 weeks post-op with no problems. Best wishes!

I asked my Dr when I can get back to normal workouts and he said "when you can do this" and smacked himself in the tummy rather hard. I am 6 days post-op and did some light yoga yesterday. I plan on hitting my regular yoga class on Friday. Depending on how my incisions look, I am hoping to hit up my regular Water aerobics class next Tuesday.

Thank you for all of your responses. I have been cleared for sports 6 weeks after the surgery and yes, I used to work out pre-op 4x a week.This means singles tennis 2x a week + zumba and total body workout. Now, I am trying to get back the same routine. What I am not used to is that I need to hold my tummy in place when jumping or jogging ( It starts hurting a little and is very uncomfortable if I do not). Is it going to stay the same or will my abdominal muscles be able to hold the port it in place? I still have 1 more month until I can start abdominal exercise, until then I will probably try out the compression top.