Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes After Full Healing?

I've noticed a lot of people who have been banded for awhile still drink Protein on a regular basis. My doctor says that when I'm healed I should get my protein from food not drink as it will keep me full longer. So I'm wondering, do those of you still using shakes have them in the morning because you can't stomach Breakfast? Or do you have problems actually eating enough protein? I get banded in a week and a half and I'm trying to learn all I can. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

i drink my Breakfast because band is tight in the morning. that is the only meal i use Protein replacement. it doesn't keep me full near as long as dense protein.

I keep them on hand because yes, sometimes in the morning, I don't want Breakfast but mostly because sometimes I find I am on the go and don't have time to either prepare a meal, don't want to prepare a meal, or haven't gotten to the grocery store. I'd rather down a Protein drink than be tempted to grab something less healthy or go without eating which is also a very bad idea. I also keep them on hand for times when I'm really hungry and want a snack (the ones I use are only 160 calories with 30 grams of protein). I figure that's a better choice them something calorie or carb laden plus after I get a fill, I'm on liquids for 2 days.

I have found that I feel fuller longer in the morning on the days I have hot oat bran Cereal for breakfast (approved by the center that did my surgery). If I want to increase the Protein I add one or two egg whites to it. Oat bran is full of Fiber and complex carbohydrates (good for intestinal health, helps you to feel fuller longer, has complex carbs for energy which also helps regulate insulin better,and lowers cholesterol among other things). I add a lot of cinnamon, a dash of vanilla, no calorie sweetener and a few berries (usually a couple of frozen blueberries) and/or a spoonful of low calorie/no sugar added fruit spread. I was eating this only once or twice per week in the morning, but was told I could have it more often, if I choose. Before that I was eating a lot of Greek yogurt and was told to cut back on dairy because sometimes lactose can be detrimental to weight loss and that advice has helped me.

I drink them because I actually like them...weird, huh?!

Thank you for the information! I was curious and want to make sure I have it on hand if I will need it. I will be sure to keep it for quick Snacks and rush meals. Great plan!

I absolutely hate most of the Protein shakes, and some of them make me ill. But I do keep the ready made Premier Protein chocolate ones in the fridge, for the mornings where I can't stomach the thought of solid food. I didn't used to be like that, but since being banded, I'm not always thrilled with breakfast. OTERwise, I want nothing to do with those shakes......PERIOD!

Yesterday, I thought I'd mix up a vanilla Isopure Protein shake with 1 tablespoon of the PB3 Peanut Butter. I was so nauseous from it, and I was sick all day. I may take all of my powdered Protein canisters and toss them in the trash. That is the second or third time I've gotten nauseous from those drinks. I'll probably pick up some pea protein & try that. I used to drink it pre-band, without issue.

I've heard of that happening with gastric patients but I didn't know it happened with LapBand too. Maybe for me it will happen with macaroni and cheese, then I won't have to worry about THAT problem. Lol! My doctor has me on optislim and I like them okay, but they are expensive.

I have been taking EAS as my Protein shake it has 17 grams of Protein this is what my nutritionist recommend. They told me to get the carb control one, I drink the strawberry and rich dark chocolate. At first they wouldn't pass, after two days there pretty good.

post-211098-13813135095085_thumb.jpg

post-352407-13813141806156_thumb.jpg

I tend to do a protien shake for breakfast because I'm tight in the mornings and i can start the day with 27 grams of protien (powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury plus 8oz silk).

Sometimes I'll have a shake at night I'd i haven't met my protien for the day just to keep my numbers up.

And i really like the Unjury. It tastes good.

My nutrition team says we can replace only up to ONE meal a day with a Protein Shake because of what was mentioned above, the calories should come from food.< /p>

You are correct that calories should come from food, BUT.... if you should have a stuck or PB episode, you may need to switch back to liquids for a day. Also after a fill it is liquids for 24 hours. Always good to have on hand. Work well when travelling, because you can always find milk or Water to mix with.

My Nut doesn't like it, (she wants solid food) but I have one or two per week...usually for my first "meal" of the day, after exercise. I've tried many different ones, threw away a plenty. I like to make my own. whey Protein/PB2/almond milk/ice in the magic bullet. I'll push the Protein up to around 30-35 grams. More than that at once doesn't agree with my system.

i drink one in the mornings usually. i like knowing i am getting a jump start on my Protein intake for the day and heck i like how it tastes. i put in my vitamixer or in freezer to make a slush/wendy's like shake/frosty.

I have been banded for 3 1/2 years. My surgeon told me last week that he doesn't have a problem with me replacing my Breakfast with a smoothy. I make my own with fruit and veggies, and a scoop of Protein. He, also, said that he doesn't see any problem with doing a liquid diet 1 week a month. Now, I am on maintenance, so maybe that is the reason he says this! It is different than actual dieting! Karen

My nut said to have 1/2 a shake, if you need a snack, or a hunger squash.