Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Roundup - how is everyone doing?

As May rapidly draws to a close (the time went so fast!) I thought I would start a thread to see how my fellow May buddies are doing after being banded! (and hopefully those who are banded in the next week will also post their updates too)

It has been a little over a week for me... generally things are going very well but struggling with a bit of fatigue. Still a little bit of pain/swelling but every day it improves. I was very fortunate in that I was able to take a long time off to recuperate - how are those of you who are back at work?

I hope everyone is doing well - healing up nicely and getting back to feeling like your old self - with a new motivation and lifestyle, of course :)

Let's hear how you're doing!

Hi Cat Whisperer!

I was sorry to read about your early complications in a different thread, hope you feel alright now!

I find there is definitely a learning curve involved...and the relatively "easy" recovery from laparoscopic surgery can be misleading! I went back to work this week, which is mostly from home and no big deal. On Tuesday, however, I had to give a technical seminar to about 70 people, and boy did I almost fall on my face!! My brain clouded up, I was sweating and stammering my way through and felt on the verge of fainting...it was a disaster, LOL. In addition, the area where my hiatal hernia was repaired started hurting with every deep breath again (gotta breathe deeply to project to such a big room)...luckily I had my pain meds in my bag and took a nice big gulp once it was over.

Lesson: for the first week (or even two) post-op, take it EASY even if you "think you can"!!!

I'm on full liquids and hungry!! According to my doctors office, I can blend bananas into my shakes which makes them pretty thick so that helps. Down 8 pounds since surgery day (May 15th), for a total of 17 lbs lost since initial weigh in (without a formal pre-op diet)

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

My surgery was on Tuesday (5-21-13) It's been a slow recovery for me. I am ALWAYS tired and SORE. I haven't had much of an appetite but I make myself drink Water, Protein shakes, and broth. On the morning of surgery I weighed in at 199.4 and today I was 202.8! Seeing a higher number on the scale is frustrating. I know that my body is healing but you would think that the weight would start coming off. :)

How long did it take for your pain to go away?

When did you start exercising?

(Ladies Question) I had to stop taking my birth control pills on the 1st of May. My surgeon said I can start taking them again two weeks after my surgery. I've been on the same pill for 12 years without missing a pill. How do I start a new pack? Start on day one?

How long do you have to be on a liquid diet?

I did two weeks pre-op and then it's supposed to be two weeks post-op.

Thanks for making this post. It'll be nice to chat with people that are going through similar issues.

Hi there! Banded the 16th. I feel great! Still a little sore when walking too far and I am hungry! Doc said to start slowly increasing exercise time and full liquid! Here I come creamy soup!

He also said to begin my Vitamin regimin.

I also get to have cheese, oatmeal, lunchmeat, crackers, Peanut Butter and some other stuff next Wed!

I was banded on May 1st and this week I started 4 week of my post op. So far so good just learning.

Hi Cat Whisperer!

I was sorry to read about your early complications in a different thread, hope you feel alright now!

I find there is definitely a learning curve involved...and the relatively "easy" recovery from laparoscopic surgery can be misleading! I went back to work this week, which is mostly from home and no big deal. On Tuesday, however, I had to give a technical seminar to about 70 people, and boy did I almost fall on my face!! My brain clouded up, I was sweating and stammering my way through and felt on the verge of fainting...it was a disaster, LOL. In addition, the area where my hiatal hernia was repaired started hurting with every deep breath again (gotta breathe deeply to project to such a big room)...luckily I had my pain meds in my bag and took a nice big gulp once it was over.

Lesson: for the first week (or even two) post-op, take it EASY even if you "think you can"!!!

I'm on full liquids and hungry!! According to my doctors office, I can blend bananas into my shakes which makes them pretty thick so that helps. Down 8 pounds since surgery day (May 15th), for a total of 17 lbs lost since initial weigh in (without a formal pre-op diet)

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Glad to hear that things are improving - the work things sounds horrible... you poor thing!! I'm sure it didn't seem as bad to them as it did to you - I have given presentations where I am so nervous I am sure my voice and whole body are shaking - then after people say I did a great job and cannot believe I was nervous - so I'm sure although you were rattled they likely did not notice.

I said in another thread that I think because we have these tiny little incision scars only, we forget that we did actually get a major surgery - so you are right, taking it easy is key!

My surgery was on Tuesday (5-21-13) It's been a slow recovery for me. I am ALWAYS tired and SORE. I haven't had much of an appetite but I make myself drink Water, Protein shakes, and broth. On the morning of surgery I weighed in at 199.4 and today I was 202.8! Seeing a higher number on the scale is frustrating. I know that my body is healing but you would think that the weight would start coming off. :)

How long did it take for your pain to go away?

When did you start exercising?

(Ladies Question) I had to stop taking my birth control pills on the 1st of May. My surgeon said I can start taking them again two weeks after my surgery. I've been on the same pill for 12 years without missing a pill. How do I start a new pack? Start on day one?

How long do you have to be on a liquid diet?

I did two weeks pre-op and then it's supposed to be two weeks post-op.

Thanks for making this post. It'll be nice to chat with people that are going through similar issues.

HI - I had the exact same thing happen to me with the numbers going UP on the scale after sugery. After about a week, that started to change and I have lost a pound or two every day. I think your body is just hanging on to fluids - which ironically the more fluids you drink, the less it will retain. I have been very vigilant about drinking at least 8-10 cups of Fluid per day and it seems to be working.

I am a week and a half post-op and the pain is pretty much gone, although worst first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not been very good about going for walks - definitely something I need to work on.

I too have a liquid diet for the two weeks after surgery, then can start "mushy" foods - can't believe how much I'm looking forward to a scrambled egg!!

take care - you'll be surprised how quickly you will feel better.

I also get to have cheese, oatmeal, lunchmeat, crackers, Peanut Butter and some other stuff next Wed!

I know, it's funny how exciting it is to finally have something other than liquids... 4 weeks of them (two weeks pre-op as well) and I am ready to have something more normal!!

I know' date=' it's funny how exciting it is to finally have something other than liquids... 4 weeks of them (two weeks pre-op as well) and I am ready to have something more normal!![/quote']

I never thought I would get so excited over a piece of fat free cheese!!! Lol!

I'm sitting here laughing at the food part because that's exactly how I feel right now. I cannot wait to have tuna fish with mayo! I got banded May 23rd and I'm on day 4 of post-op. Physically it's been going well except choking down the necessary amount of Protein and Water. However today I was able to finish a whole 14 ounce Protein Shake. I also felt my stomach growl LOUDLY today and the hunger hit today. I had chicken broth too and right now I'm sipping on white grape juice and water. It tastes like HEAVEN! LOL Emotionally it has been a different story. I guess the shock is wearing off and I'm crying then laughing then crying. I know it's going to get better. And honestly, this forum has helped tremendously. I cannot recommend this enough to everyone reading this right now - read up on here and you'll be fine.

so Far im good..always hungry though :/ Was banded on the 7th

I had the lapband with plication and repaired a hiatal hernia repair done on the 24th of may first thing in the morning! I was nervous but more ready to get it over with! So much talking & worrying about $ (because I was self pay). I was just ready to get it over with. Got to the hospital at about 530 am & in my room by 6. Did a pee test & got in my sexy gown (lol). Started my iv & then the anesthesiologist came and talked to me. Then I was sent off to the back. My boyfriend of 3 years and my mother waited for me in my room. I was doped up a little & brought back to a big room and they moved me onto another table. All I remember after that was waking up in recovery in pain. I think the nurse got tired of telling me I was always on pain killers because I was whining so much, lol. I was kind of disappointed in the doctor & nurses because the doctor didnt come talk to me or my family before or after. The nurses didnt know what was going on at all... They were asking my family & me what my restrictions were.... Strange. I was just whisked away and went home. Only got a prescription for liquid loratab. Gross but it works I guess. Didn't get anti nausea drugs or anything for the gas... I have been conflicted if I had a weird experience or if I was just expecting too much. Oh well.

I have been religiously taking my medicine every 4 hours. Been in bed most of the time until the last day or two. Been moving around a lot. Makes me feel better. I get a few hiccups now and then but it hurts and goes away quickly. Been drinking a lot of water! I'm not in too much bad pain anymore but only when I bend or twist or exert myself too much. I am going back to work tomorrow and I will see how that goes. I'm thinking its going to turn into a half day but whatever! Ill keep you updated! Anyone else having any of the same problems??

Oh and I haven't regurgitated at all! Idk if I'm just weird or what but I haven't had any problems with that....

I'm sitting here laughing at the food part because that's exactly how I feel right now. I cannot wait to have tuna fish with mayo! I got banded May 23rd and I'm on day 4 of post-op. Physically it's been going well except choking down the necessary amount of Protein and Water. However today I was able to finish a whole 14 ounce Protein shake. I also felt my stomach growl LOUDLY today and the hunger hit today. I had chicken broth too and right now I'm sipping on white grape juice and Water. It tastes like HEAVEN! LOL Emotionally it has been a different story. I guess the shock is wearing off and I'm crying then laughing then crying. I know it's going to get better. And honestly, this forum has helped tremendously. I cannot recommend this enough to everyone reading this right now - read up on here and you'll be fine.

I had similar emotions to you as well... still do a little bit still - crying then laughing. - Today was 2 weeks since my surgery. I still forget I have the band and go to gulp my water then realize I have to slow down a bit.. it is definitely a shock still. take care :)

I had the lapband with plication and repaired a hiatal hernia repair done on the 24th of may first thing in the morning! I was nervous but more ready to get it over with! So much talking & worrying about $ (because I was self pay). I was just ready to get it over with. Got to the hospital at about 530 am & in my room by 6. Did a pee test & got in my sexy gown (lol). Started my iv & then the anesthesiologist came and talked to me. Then I was sent off to the back. My boyfriend of 3 years and my mother waited for me in my room. I was doped up a little & brought back to a big room and they moved me onto another table. All I remember after that was waking up in recovery in pain. I think the nurse got tired of telling me I was always on pain killers because I was whining so much, lol. I was kind of disappointed in the doctor & nurses because the doctor didnt come talk to me or my family before or after. The nurses didnt know what was going on at all... They were asking my family & me what my restrictions were.... Strange. I was just whisked away and went home. Only got a prescription for liquid loratab. Gross but it works I guess. Didn't get anti nausea drugs or anything for the gas... I have been conflicted if I had a weird experience or if I was just expecting too much. Oh well.

I have been religiously taking my medicine every 4 hours. Been in bed most of the time until the last day or two. Been moving around a lot. Makes me feel better. I get a few hiccups now and then but it hurts and goes away quickly. Been drinking a lot of water! I'm not in too much bad pain anymore but only when I bend or twist or exert myself too much. I am going back to work tomorrow and I will see how that goes. I'm thinking its going to turn into a half day but whatever! Ill keep you updated! Anyone else having any of the same problems??

I was a bit disappointed as well that my surgeon did not talk to me either before or after... in fact, I just found out today two weeks post-op from my nutritionist (!) who read my chart that I had a hiatal hernia repair as well - I had absolutely no idea!!

The first week is the worst, then things seem to improve more quickly after that. Not to worry you, but it does seem very soon for you to return to work - don't be too disappointed if it's too tough to stay the day.

As for the regurgitation - that is super good that you are not having problems with that!!

Hope all goes well for you!! :)