Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May be a dumb Question?

I received my approval last week for surgery. I have a appointment tomorrow with my dr for pre op stuff and to pick a surgery date. I want to get it done ASAP but I have a Disney vacation planned from 6/24-6/29 is it a good idea to get this surgery before this trip. Meaning like getting it done may 30 by then ill be almost 30 days post op?

that depends on how you do as a patient.... do you handle pain well? Are you planing on going on all the "big" rides. I had my lb on a Tuesday and was back at work on the following Monday and Cleaning houses the next week. The eating is another concern... although you will have a band, most likely you won't have any restriction and may still be on mushy foods depending on your doctor. You will be starving.... and how well you be able to handle people eating hamburgers, hotdogs, and other junk around you? For me... i didn't want to wait a moment longer than i had too. I was on vacation doing my liq. diet and i have to say... it was hard.

Physically you will probably be fine but the problem is that 30 days post op you will probably still be in your mushies stage. That would be the hardest part in my opinion...

You can be pretty much recovered by then, but if you are anything like most people, vacationing usually means eating a lot, and watching others eat while you are probably still in the mushy phase might be rather stressful.

you will be fine ( except maybe the rides ) on food, I went on vacation weeks after surgery and I could always find something to eat at the restaurants. Just make sure you drink your Protein. hugs and have a great time.

Physically I don't think it would be an issue, however you will likely still be on the post op diet. Being on the post op diet while in Disney would be horrible. If I were you, I'd get the surgery after your trip.

I agree with Missy...Enjoy your vacation with your family and let that be your "last hurrah" pre-banded.

By 30 days postOp you physically will probably feel just fine. Being around the turmoil of crowds and tons of junk food may well represent a conflict of interest. Old habits vs New Habits. Overeating is part of the secret dark personal history of all Bandsters in their preOp life.

You likely can do either: go & enjoy yourself; go & not enjoy yourself. There are precious few New Bandster-friendly meal opportunities at D-Land. If you have made the transition to reliably have social fun without junk food overeating, that's a good opportunity.

I believe our New Life Eating Habits must begin somewhere in the real world.

It requires a certain discipline and resourceful research to learn some of the tricks that help insure a speedy acquisition of the postOp learning curve.

Learning how to manage various such stresses is part of the PostOp Bandster Life.

cheers on your journey

I was banded 5-7 and am going on a big family vacation on 6-14. I think I will be fine- I will be transitioning to the real food stage during the week. We are planning on cooking a lot of our meals in because there will be such a large group of us eating out will be will be quite an expense. I have old my family and am going to rely on them for help during the week.

I'm leaning on waiting until afterwards my first week in July this is my first Disney trip I don't want to ruin it. Thanks for the advice guys! I can see this site will be my go to for advice and help once I get banded!

I'm leaning on waiting until afterwards my first week in July this is my first Disney trip I don't want to ruin it. Thanks for the advice guys! I can see this site will be my go to for advice and help once I get banded!

Are you going to Disneyland or Disney World? I went to Disneyland last February when I was the heaviest and I felt so bad walking. I cried my second night because my feet! I was too little to carry all my excess weight around. I can not wait to come back next winter, more lighter and hopefully walk around without pain and do Tower of Terror again lol. There is not restrictions for rides with the band, right? I was wondering...

Disney World. I'm afraid I'm going to be in pain from walking so much but I went to universal studios about 3 years ago and it wasn't so bad I paced myself I'm not big on riding stuff my husband is going to so the rides with the kids. I don't think there's any restrictions for the rides

I was banded 5-7 and am going on a big family vacation on 6-14. I think I will be fine- I will be transitioning to the real food stage during the week. We are planning on cooking a lot of our meals in because there will be such a large group of us eating out will be will be quite an expense. I have old my family and am going to rely on them for help during the week.

I was thinking the same about cooking in the room because of the price of food is soo high there character dinner for 4 is almost 150.00

Are you going to Disneyland or Disney World? I went to Disneyland last February when I was the heaviest and I felt so bad walking. I cried my second night because my feet! I was too little to carry all my excess weight around. I can not wait to come back next winter, more lighter and hopefully walk around without pain and do Tower of Terror again lol. There is not restrictions for rides with the band, right? I was wondering...

I've ridden rides since the band with no problem. Most ride restraints aren't anywhere near the port which is my only potential tender spot.

you probably could do....but not sure how much fun you'd have. you might lack energy....plus your diet is really limited for a long time after surgery.....