Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op liquid diet help

Hey guys,

I'm on Day 5 of my pre-op and I feel like shit. I'm not really hungry, but my stomach hurts soooo much. Last night it felt so bad I couldn't even sleep. I'm not sure if my tummy hurts because I'm hungry or because it's feeling sick from the stuff I'm eating.

It's weird because I don't feel like eating, but my tummy seems like its telling me to eat something, but a yogurt or Soup doesn't cut it. Last night I could have eaten almost any thing, but I got a yogurt instead and just sipped on it until it was all gone. If I'm having these problems now, what's going to happen after I'm banded?

TMI----I seem to be having a lot more gas then usual, and some acid reflux when I lay down at night. In addition, I either can't have a bm when I feel I need to, or I'm having diarrhea...how the hell does that happen? After I drink a Protein Shake it's straight into the bathroom, but when I wake up in the morning I feel like I need to have a bm but nothing happens. This liquid stuff is screwing my whole system up, and to boot I don't think I have lost any thing. Maybe only 1 kilo or something.

What I'm eating:

Protein shake for Breakfast (slim fast type of thing)

yogurt for snack (low fat no sugar)

vegetable soup for lunch

yogurt for snack (low fat no sugar)

chicken soup for dinner (no chicken just broth and noodles)

sf pudding or another yogurt for desert

-+1.5l Water

-+1l crystal light or tea

Help guys-.......:help:

Hey Kat, do you have any Protein Bars? If you skip the noodles (they are just a tease anyway) and eat a few low carb Protein bars you will have something to send along the pipes. Add a few more shakes too. As long as I stayed below 40 net carbs for the day, my doc said I could eat all the protein dense/low fat stuff I could swallow. I ate alot and rarely hit the 20 mark.

I don't want to mess with your process if you have a specific diet in mind. Ignore me please if I am just screwing with your head.

Lots of good feelings for you while you go through this nastiness!!

Brenda

Hey thanks, no I don't have a specific diet, the doc just said liquids and failed to specify what exactly that was...he just said Soups, juices, and yogurt. gee..thanks.... any way, I thought about eating a Protein Bar last night because I felt so bad, if I'm feeling bad again tonight I might eat one. Because I'm really feeling like shit, by now the weakness should have passed, so I don't think I'm getting proper nutrition.

I was having a hard time getting in the Protein Shakes also and I hate yogurt. The dietician allowed me to substitute lite ricotta cheese (4 oz) for the yogurt and that filled me up. You might want to consider trying a soy based Protein Shake instead of the slim fast.

Well, the Protein Shakes are soy based, I just said slim fast because I couldn't think of what it's really like.....but they are soy based...I like yogurt so no problem there. I think I'm going to cut the chicken Soups and stick with only veggie.

Good Morning Heather (actually, I doubt it is morning in Portugal now, oh well),

Saw your IM yesterday, but it went to my phone, I was still sound asleep:notagree.

Sorry you are having such problems. I wish I could offer some advice, but like you, I am starting to have problems too. The past three mornings, (also probably TMI) I have woke up and dry-heaved. There is nothing to actually come up. But, I feel pretty weak too.

Aren't you glad we only have to do this for a short time? I have an aunt who weighed 400 pounds and decided she did not want to "turn 40 and be fat". So, she was working for a physician's office and they had brought in some new liquid diet program. They told her if she agreed to allow them to use her as a success story, they would let her do the diet for free. She did it religiously for 18 months and lost 220 pounds during that time (no, I am not kidding!). I don't know how anyone could do that for that long. I am barely surviving my pre-op. Oh, and by the way, on Thanksgiving, my aunt decided she was going to eat real food. She literally went crazy and ate everything on the table and had seconds of everthing. She ate one of every kind of dessert. From there on out, she completely went off the diet and gained all of her weight back in about a year and a half. I felt so bad for her.

Hang in there, remember, only 3 days till banding. A couple of weeks of liquid dieting afterwards and this will all be past. You can do this. I truly hope you get to feeling better. ;)

You can do it!! Mind over matter....mind over matter. Just a few more days!!!!!

Glad to know I am not the only one who has problems with the Protein Shakes, they make my stomach like that also.

Glad Dr. Ortiz only requires 1 week pre-op diet, but I have been doing them 1 month and finally getting used to them and my stomach is quietening down abit.

Hope you feel better :party:

Thinking about you Heather, hope all is well and that your fast approaching surgery will be a breeze. Are you thrilled or terrified? Both?

I think my favorite part about the post-op period was no hunger. Oh, and blended clam chowder at the end of week one.

Take care, Brenda

Hey All,

You won't guess what happened today! I saw the nutritionist today and she said I didn't need to be on a liquid diet!!! She was all upset that the surgeon put me on a liquid diet. So I called the surgeon and he told me it was more to reduce the liver, but I only lost 4lbs this week and my period started so I'm not going to lose any more...he told me just to go ahead and eat something!! :embarassed: All this work and I didn't even need to do it any more! But I'm not going to stop I made it this far, so I'm just going to finish the liquid and be ready for the surgery on Wednesday.

I'm so glad for you about the liquid diet thing. :clap2:

But, from the symptoms that you described I'd be worried about your bowels. I know, TMI. But, hear me out. If you're feeling like you need to go but can't then you have episodes of diarrhea that could be something else. I know you were on a liquid diet (for the most part) and liquids in=liquids out, but I can't quite shake the feeling that something else may be going on. If you feel the urge, but can't go maybe you have a bit of a blockage or at the very least Constipation. I know what you're thinking, "how could I be constipated when I'm having diarrhea"? When you're really constipated, sometimes BM gets hung up in there but still lets liquid stool around the blockage. This is a very common symptom with fecal impaction. That combined with the fact that you said your tummy just doesn't feel right, even possibly painful.

I'd get this checked out BEFORE surgery. Because anesthetics slow the bowels and could cause even more problems. Talk to your PCP. I wouldn't resort to laxatives, enemas or suppositories but make sure your doctor hears about your symptoms.........ALL OF THEM, including what you were eating. Because there wasn't much bulk to it. I don't know what you were eating before, but you never know.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that these symptoms are nothing but a passing phase.

Hey Ddiedre,

Thanks for the help, I totally understand... I actually ate some real food last night (I didn't go crazy, just a bit of beef and rice) and I actually had a pretty solid bm this morning, so I'm feeling ALOT better. I'm still drinking a Protein drink for Breakfast and Soup for lunch, but I'll probably eat some chicken for dinner. So i think everything is fine now.