Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prozac Anyone?

Hey all,

As you may or may not know, I'm going through a tough spot and my doctor prescribed Prozac.

Has anyone been on this? I have a history of depression with possible Bi-Polar II and don't react well to anti-depressants at all, and heard this can cause weight gain. Not too good for a recent bariatric patient.

I took it for several years and it worked really well for me. Did't make me gain weight, but maybe it works that way for some people. It eventually stopped working so well and they upped the dose...then it make me twitch and tremble, so I switched to Lexapro.

Emily

I was on Prozac years ago, LOVED IT!! One thing for sure is it didn't make me gain weight, quite the opposite, I lost.

My Mom and Sister are both on it and they have lost weight.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

I've never been on an anti-depressant but my mother is on Prozac and is doing very well with no weight gain. Interestingly, Prozac is now being prescribed for people with rheumatiod arthritis so, if you have that condition, you might see an improvement in the pain from that condition.

I hope the Prozac helps you and that you feel better soon.

Thanks for your responses, it gives me some hope about this drug as I have read some horror stories about it.

I do have Fibromyalgia, so hopefully it will work on that. I started taking it yesterday.

I'll keep you posted! :(

Leener, good luck with it and remember to give it some time. Out of the few antidepressants I have tried, the only one I couldn't take was Zoloft... I had really bad thoughts running thru my mind with that drug. So remember, if you don't feel right on it, call your doctor immediatly.

Oh....btw!! Can you swallow the pill with no problem? I can't remember how big/small it was (prozac that is).

Eileen, the same thing happened to me too, on ZOloft! Three days after starting it, the walls began to breathe in and out and my partner's face turned into an evil clown face. It was frightening.

The pills are small as I'm on a baby dose.

Okay, this is going to sound really odd, but I'm on day 2 of the Prozac and I kind of feel like I did onthe paxil. It started lifting me but my blood sugar feels low.

I know it's so soon and I'm only taking 2.5 but I'm very sensitive to stuff. I am also naturally very hypoglycemic, so it's not a good thing.

Oy vey! I took Wellbutrin for a week and got the Hives. Quit the pills, hives lasted a week and haven't taken the Wellbutrin since. I have no idea if it's related or why I got the Hives but...ANYway...add some calories to your diet. have some pudding, the real stuff with suger, is my best bet. But I'm no doc and you know more medical stuff than me, so, on the other hand, don't listen to me...I'm just checking in on you! (((hugs))))

LOL Thanks my friend. *hugs**

I had to eat a lot yesterday to keep my sugar up.

SO I am assuming the low blood sugar side effect won't go away with

time?

I am wondering if I should wait it out???? It *felt* a lot like my

blood sugar crashes.

I actually started to feel a brightening already and my thoughts

weren't negative and obsessive for a day

WOW.

ANd I actually felt my libido rising from the grave after 20 years.

GASP.

So I'd like to keep taking it. But passing out from low blood sugar is

a deal breaker for me.

I am currently taking Prozac. Actually, my ob/gyn put me on it for my PMS and boy does it help with that! My husband loves that I am taking it...not so much of a bitch! :party: I have felt fine on it and have been on it for a couple of years now. Best of luck to you!

Leenerbumps,

Did you actually check your blood sugar or just "feel" that it was low?! Some antidepressants can make you feel this way....also you must be careful if your diagnosed w/ bipolar....the antidepressant can take you the other way! I've prescribed Prozac and it works good....it's an oldie but a goodie! And you are on a low dose.....so hopefully it will be just enough!! And you may adjust to that feeling of sugar....by the way....don't eat the sugar...it just raises your sugar and then it plummets....eat your Protein and AVOID sugar....makes the situation worse!!!! THat is why we gain weight is we eat the "wrong" food and our body screams and shoves out the insulin which makes our sugar drop then insulin also makes us hungry so it's a vicious cycle!!!!! If you don't have a rash, your sugar is not low then keep trying to work it!!! You've helped me...hopefully this helps!!! :party:

God Bless,

MElody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs:)

I am on 1/2 tsp of Prozac daily to help curb the cravings for that evil stuff we call chocolate. It seems to help, and I am less moody, my dh appreciatecs that. I think the doc will have to up the dose a bit to help even better though. I see him next month. Oh BTW it is available in a liquid form, it tastes horrible, but easier than crushing a pill.

Hey all, yup hypoglycemia can result in 10% of patioents taking this. (my luck!)

I gained two lbs in the 3 days on this stuff because of my blood sugar swings. I had to eat to keep from crashing.

:party:

Shame, it was helping everything else.