Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just went for my third fill and had a talk with my surgeon's nurse. I told her I was discouraged but understood that it took a while for everyone to get to their "sweet spot" or perfect place. I explained to her that I was a bit concerned because while I felt I had to be careful and slow with what I ate (not to get stuck), I did not yet feel restriction. I still felt able to overeat big portions without feeling full.

She replied, "Oh only a small number of banded people feel restricted about the amount they can eat. Those people are lucky and unfortunately you're not one of those. That's why I want you to be really careful about measuring your food."

I was absolutely speechless and today I am in tears. Having my portions restricted was the ENTIRE REASON I had my surgery. Really, why else would anyone? If we only wanted to feel stuck once and a while, we could try to swallow quarters. It would be a lot cheaper!

I feel duped and mislead.

I did not spend my savings and have this surgery just to experience stuck and slime.

Is what she told me true? Am I "one of those" so I am never going to feel fullness with just a few ounces of food?

I am in theh same boat as you I had 2.5cc fill and all I felt was stuck no mattered what I ate then be took 1cc out and again no restriction I eat but eat small I have containers for food and whatever fits into one container that's what I eat. Don't feel down make it work u got the tool.

I don't regret any decision in my life because at the end I will make it work

Good morning B-

I was as concerned as you are when I got to my 3rd fill and felt no restriction and litteraly spent hours a day carying my eyes out because of the amount of money and time i spent to have this surgery for it not to work for me ( I too am self pay). However let me provide you with hope. It took me 5 fills to get to my sweet spot and i have been there for almost 6 months and will have my 1 year bandaversiry in March. Perhaps the nurse mis spoke as I can only imagine she meant to montior your calories and portions untill you start to feel restriciton. Eventually you will get there I promise so stay positive. If you still have concerns I recommend you schedule an appointment with your doctor to clear up any concerns you have.

Take care and I am praying for you.

I'm sorry you feel mislead, but what the nurse told you is true. The band's job isn't to limit your portions or physically stop you from eating anything. It's job is to keep you satiated on much less food for much longer periods of time.

Have a look at this link, it explains it very well: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

The pouch only holds 4-6 oz of food so I do not know what she means. You are bound to get satisfied if you eat that amount. If I were you I would call your dr and get a reclarification.

For me... I feel like I hit the green zone at 4 months after 4 fills but until then I did not eat larger portions for fear of stretching my pouch... and plenty of times I felt like i could have but thats where the willpower kicks in.

Im only a month post op but this is how I see it. Think of it as you need to teach your body to be skinny. After all you taught it to be fat; to want and crave the food and amounts of it. Now its time to teach it that some where between 4 and 8 ounces (depending on your Dr) is ok. You will not die of starvation. Remind your self this is head hunger. Find a distraction to cope whether that's drinking more Water, working out, reach out to a friend/lbt. You can do this meet your band halfway.

Give it time & patience, first i was banded I recieved a fill feb 2011 after that I noticed a lil difference in 11/2011 was having a lot if restriction had a Barium swallow to check everything was ok. 2012 started getting acid reflux throwing up in my sleep, I dealt with it and kept telling my Dr we removed Fluid but still the same. I took a upper GI which showed nothing goin down caused my pouch to stretch. So now back to square 1, all my fluid was removed so my pouch would shrink again and so I have been a month with no fluid. I did gain 15pds but have maintained those xtra 15#'s and have enjoyed food that I don't normally eat but I look forward to adding fluid and hopefully fulfilling my goal weight. I keep a positive attitude all the time and have had to have alot of patience though this journey.

I feel restriction, but I can certainly eat around it. The lap band is there to help you while you make the lifestyle change required to be a healthy weight. You have to WANT it!

I feel restriction' date=' but I can certainly eat around it. The lap band is there to help you while you make the lifestyle change required to be a healthy weight. You have to WANT it![/quote']"

I must say, I really enjoyed reading about you in the spotlight. No I haven't been on here that long but I quickly learned how brutally honest you are. That is what we need sometimes. Its time out for nicely stating the obvious and for that I am thankful for you. Please continue encouraging other. You are an inspiration to me. I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with RA at age 19. It mainly effects my knees after two surgeries on each knee, I am in a lot of pain. I was hoping that after losing the weight my knees don't hurt as much. You are my success story! Again thank you so much and congratulations to you!!!

I don't understand how anyone could assume I don't "want" it. I researched this for years, had no insurance, paid for everything out of my savings, waited months and months while jumping through all the hoops, went to the classes, did a grueling two-week liquids only diet and then had surgery. My discouragement and concern really has nothing to do with "want" but more feeling like things were not adequately explained to me.

I also understand that the band is a tool but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that tool to work. I realize that I am in what some refer to as "bandster hell" right now but to suddenly be told that I may never feel any restriction???

Remind your self this is head hunger.

Yes, this is something I have to continually work on. I tend to mindlessly "stress eat". I just expected more help from the band than I'm getting. :(

I don't understand how anyone could assume I don't "want" it. I researched this for years, had no insurance, paid for everything out of my savings, waited months and months while jumping through all the hoops, went to the classes, did a grueling two-week liquids only diet and then had surgery. My discouragement and concern really has nothing to do with "want" but more feeling like things were not adequately explained to me.

I also understand that the band is a tool but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that tool to work. I realize that I am in what some refer to as "bandster hell" right now but to suddenly be told that I may never feel any restriction???

Did you read the link I posted earlier?

What you're calling "restriction" is likely not what you think it is. Here's a direct quote from the link:

"When talking about the band, some patients talk about restriction. Let's first be clear about one thing: the purpose of the band is not restriction; the purpose of the band is to lose weight by suppressing the appetite.

When band professionals talk about restriction we are talking about something totally different than "restricting what a person eats." In fact, many band surgeons avoid talking about restriction so as to not confuse patients. The band works by dimming the appetite, and this provides a conscious control and decision made by the patient, it does not work by "making" a person do something, or keep them from eating too much. "

The tool most certainly DOES work and it works well. But it only works when you're expecting it to do the job it was meant to do. Otherwise, it's like expecting a hammer to unscrew a screw for you- disappointing.

Seriously, read the link and do some research on the band. Not anecdotal evidence here on the forums or on Youtube, but actual medical facts. You'll be a lot happier and healthier if you understand the band and what it is (and isn't) supposed to do.

I'm confused now my surgeon told me u do get restriction so u physically can't over eat it may take a while to get to that as they do fills by stages but I can't understand why people are telling her you don't get restriction when u clearly do? Some people can't eat certain food that's nothing to do with head hunger is it that's restriction? Sorry but that article makes no sense to me!!

I'm confused now my surgeon told me u do get restriction so u physically can't over eat it may take a while to get to that as they do fills by stages but I can't understand why people are telling her you don't get restriction when u clearly do? Some people can't eat certain food that's nothing to do with head hunger is it that's restriction? Sorry but that article makes no sense to me!!

The band supresses your appetite. Some people do find they can't eat certain foods. A lot of us have little signals when to stop eating- like hiccups, burps, a soft sigh, etc. A lot of will get very uncomfortable if we eat beyond our stopping points.

However, you can eat beyond that stopping point. In fact, a lot of people are very good at eating around the band. The band's job isn't to physically stop you from eating anything. It is your job to stick to band sized portions, the band can't force you not to over-eat or eat around it. Too many end up with bands way too tight (and slips because of it) from expecting the band to do the work for you. It's just a tool, the work is forever yours to do.

My doctor explicitly said that I would still be able to eat most foods that the band is not meant to stop you from eating any particular food. I hear all the time on this board that people are told that they will not be able to eat bread and for me that is not at all true. I have to choose not to eat bread and it's a favorite of mine.