Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those who completed 6 month supervised diet...

I have just a quick little question...for those of you who had to complete a six month supervised diet prior to insurance approval, how much weight did you lose?

On one hand I want to lose weight (duh, of course) but on the other I'm afraid to lose weight and then be denied because I'm able to lose without the band.

What's your take on this?

Most doctors submit your original weight. I would only be worried if by loosing weight you become a normal weight. In which case you probably don't need surgery in the first place. My surgery was delayed for 7 months due to other health concerns. I lost 50 pounds, but still was morbidly obese.

This is the time to developed a new relationship with food. A PERMANENT relationship. The band is not a destination, it is the starting line. The band will NEVER stop you from eating candy, ice cream, or doritoes. You have to choose healthy foods.

None! I went up and down a lb or 2 for the whole 6 months and at the end I was the same....my surgery center told me not worry about gaining or losing, so I just kind of maintained...I did worry though that if I lost weight I would be denied...but I think it would have to be a significant amount for them to deny surgery...

I had that same fear. I knew I could lose weight, but was afraid insurance would see that as a reason not to let me have surgery. I half hearted dieted during that 6mths and lost 20 lbs. After my info went to insurance I kicked it up a notch. By the time I was able to go to surgery was another month ,b/c of me not insurance or Dr, I was doing the lap band rules and lost another 14lbs.

I'm glad how it all turned out after surgery b/c when everyone was crying that they were starving and couldn't handle the post op diet, I really didn't have a problem, it was just same old same old.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Thanks everyone. I'm using these six months to begin changing my eatting habits. I'm trying to do more fresh meats, vegies, fruits and less processed crap. And I'm also trying to work on my emotional issues with food. I really am glad for the 6 months, I don't know if I would be "ready" if I could have gotten the band immediately.

I actually gained weight after the six months. I started taking birth control and an antidepressant during that time, so I think those contributed. But I had no trouble getting approved for surgery.

Thanks everyone. I'm using these six months to begin changing my eatting habits. I'm trying to do more fresh meats, vegies, fruits and less processed crap. And I'm also trying to work on my emotional issues with food. I really am glad for the 6 months, I don't know if I would be "ready" if I could have gotten the band immediately.

That's the attitude!! Those eating habits are going to have to change anyway!! I'm two months out and I've only lost 4 lbs. I've been preparing myself mentally as well. You'll do great!! Just keep motivated! Surgery day will be here before you know it!

I actually asked that question to my doctor. She told me that even if I would lose a lot of weight they would probably not deny me. What she also said to me (which is true in my case), is most obese people losing weight because of a diet (in this case the 6 month diet) almost always regain it if there is no reward (in this case the band) at the end. So if they would deny us, then we would get discouraged and probably gain it all back. And she also said to me that obese people who lose weight, have to work twice as much, as a rugular sized person which works out to maintain their weight, to keep the weight off. The main reason why they do the 6 month diet, is to getting yourself used to healthier habbits, making right choices, getting your body used to losing weight and getting a bit healthier before the operation...maybe the reasonning varies from one doctor to another but this is what my doc told me.

I am also grateful for the 6 month pre-diet. The food relationship changes and you get used to trying things a new way and with WAY LESS CARBS! I actually gone up and down a pound or too. Mostly, my Doc has said that the insurance company is hopping that your burn out in the 6 months and don't finish the process so the company doesn't have to pay.

Stick with it. Try new Protein stuff in the food section here, it's help me branch out my protein/food options. Cheers

I start my 6 month supervised diet this coming Thursday. I have also decided to use it as a time to change my eating habits and get into the correct mindset that I need to have.

I loved the prep that the 6 month diet gave me. I think we that have had to go thru it do get a boost. I, also, got a correct mindset and tried tochange my eating habits. It was the 6 months that got me started on eating on a salad plate with smaller forks. Karen

I started about a month ago. I'm scheduled to go back to the doctor this Thursday. I've learned alot from the nutritionist, the biggest being that portion size really matters. I'm anxious to know how much I've lost since last month. I haven't given it my all. I'm the only person holding me back. I also learned that planning a menu plays a vital part in it. I notice when I plan, I do great. But it's the weeks and days that I don't plan that I really mess up. So I'm really looking forward to this whole process.

I just finished my 6 month diet and lost 60 pounds. They submitted my starting weight. Which was 298.