Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"stuck Episode" Best Thing To Do Is....

I'm actually not sure if this was a 'stuck' episode because I am only 2 weeks post op. with no fills.

Got surgeons approval for soft food as long as I chew chew chew. Well, last night I had baked lemon chicken, maybe it was to dry(?) but it tasted sooooooo good. I think my mind was else where and I ate to quick but omg. I had the most intense back pain in my life. I wanted to cry but didn't want to freak out my family. It took an hour and a half to feel back to normal!!!! I walked around the house a bit and took a few tiny sips of Water, then tykonal with codiene to fet tonsleep!!! So horrible. I will never ever ever forget to chew and slow the heck down now!! That's for sure!!!

I know all about getting stuck because your mind wanders..... My mind is always going off on it's own and leaving my body to do it's own thing. But after the last time I became stuck, I concentrate on everything about a meal. The only time I give my mind permission to wander off is when I'm drinking a Protein Shake or eating something soft like yogurt. I'm going to try my hardest to never get stuck again, but I know it will happen. I just don't want it to be because I forgot to pay attention to what I was doing, after all that's how I got to be obese in the first place.

For me the worst thing to do is drink. I've tried chewing papaya emzynes and couldnt tell that it helped much. I've also tried taking a little sip of coke, that seems to help. For mild stuck/ discomfort I find walking around and leaning over a little with my arms up helps. For major stuck the only thing to do is throw it up.

I have had a couple stuck episodes. The first was bad with dry meat. I tried everything and nothing worked. I was stuck for about an hour n half. I think the meat was lodged in there. I chuged a whole water bottle of Water and it pushed it through. I wouldn't recommend that because it really really hurt then I thoughti had a slip. But luckily I was OK. The stuck was on a grief wonton filled with cream cheese. Yes stupid I know but I was hungry so I know I didn't chew. I was stuck for two hours. My husband told me was calling my sister which runs our er here or we were going to the er. She told me to drink a few sips of soda because the carbonation will help it push through. The second sip made me hiccup and burp at the same time and it was gone. I always keep one of warm soda whichs works better than cold just in case. Let me tell ya I chew well now. I don't know when I get stuck it takes forever to pass.

i'm currently over filled and having stuck episodes daily. Its been my experience that drinking something is unpleasant but a surefire way of getting everything to come up, which is usually preferable to the discomfort of being stuck. If I do want to wait it out, (ie im in public or 'mini stuck' with pressure but not pain), lying down or reclining is a no no, its easier to lean forward or sit straight and try to burp a bit. I guess I should get an unfill, but I cant bring myself to do it...ive become pretty good at bringing food up quickly and discreetly in the mean time....

Re meat Tenderizer, my pre op book specifically says not to use meat tenderizer........can cause ulcers.

i'm currently over filled and having stuck episodes daily. Its been my experience that drinking something is unpleasant but a surefire way of getting everything to come up' date=' which is usually preferable to the discomfort of being stuck. If I do want to wait it out, (ie im in public or 'mini stuck' with pressure but not pain), lying down or reclining is a no no, its easier to lean forward or sit straight and try to burp a bit. I guess I should get an unfill, but I cant bring myself to do it...ive become pretty good at bringing food up quickly and discreetly in the mean time....[/quote']

I know that sometimes the first couple of weeks are hard for me after a fill. I generally stick to soft foods the first two weeks and tell focus on chewing and small bites. I have not ever gotten an unfill, but I know there is a time and place for it. This past couple of weeks I try to get my Protein intake up even if it's shakes or Soups. My band can be finicky, so a lot of trial and error.

Its been about a month since the fill, my 4th, and my PA would kill me if she knew how bad things are....i freak out big time at fills and the one time they took some out just to check cc's was extra unpleasant...im such a chicken! I keep getting stuck and then trying to eat later when im sure im still swollen...and get stuck again...its a bad cycle that im trying to get out of cuz it cant be healthy...eager to find a scale and see what good its done me there, though. Im gonna go back to liquids for a couple days and see if that helps because boy, nothin will go down!

First time I got stuck was on a piece of broccoli, I walked around for a few minutes and sipped a bit of Water and it went down, it hurt. Second stuck episode was last week, was eating spaghetti, first bite was fine, second bite too big, phone rang, I ran to phone and swallowed that second bite without chewing properly, ouch. Felt like I had a golf ball in my throat, I sipped some Water, made it worse, next thing I know it all came up so fast didn't have time to run to bathroom, never again!

My doctor said a bit of coke with a stuck episode as the bubbles will make you burp and shift the food, haven't had to try that yet and don't intend to, learnt my lesson fast with my second episode. If I've taken too big a bite I spit it out and make sure I'm not distracted when eating.

i jump up and down, and dance around shaking it all up! usually works. my family thinks it's absolutely hillarious when i do it during a meal together.

also a quick walk around the block helps, like a very quick bouncy walk as if you're trying to get away from someone.

oh and no liquids whatsoever!

but the best thing is prevention. take breaks even if ur not stuck, put the fork down, get up and do something and count how many times you chew, nothing gets swallowed before at the very least couting to 20.

i'm currently over filled and having stuck episodes daily. Its been my experience that drinking something is unpleasant but a surefire way of getting everything to come up' date=' which is usually preferable to the discomfort of being stuck. If I do want to wait it out, (ie im in public or 'mini stuck' with pressure but not pain), lying down or reclining is a no no, its easier to lean forward or sit straight and try to burp a bit. I guess I should get an unfill, but I cant bring myself to do it...ive become pretty good at bringing food up quickly and discreetly in the mean time....[/quote']

Trust me, this is a slippery slope you are on that can result in many problems for you. I was like you. I was too tight. I got very good at bringing up what was stuck. Over time acid will damage your pouch and esophagus. When I started throwing up blood I went in. I had an unfill & an EDG. Thank goodness I didn't have a slip. Ironically I didn't lose weight because I was eating too many calories from slider foods. I feel so lucky my band didn't slip and I healed. I had a tiny fill and am in the green zone and enjoying all the foods I once threw up! And surprise I'm loosing weight and maintaining the loss. Please get an unfill. This is not the way to use your band. Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually am getting reacclimated to my band after getting my first fill. So far, I have found (as many others have said) bread is a NO NO. I was just going to have a nibble and it was painful. It passed in a few minutes so it wasn't too bad... I found that trying to drink made it worse for me.

Well, today, was a different story. I may have been eating too fast (even though they were very small bites and I was chewing the heck out of them), plus it was a pork roast that I think was too dry. A few minutes after dinner I was getting uncomfortable and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a very bizarre feeling going through all of it (it lasted about 1/2 an hour). My fiance and I went for a walk as I was hoping that would help. It was very embarrassing when I was trailing behind him because I was literally foaming at the mouth. I am not sure if that is what is meant by "pb'ing". It was so uncomfortable. We kept walking very slowly and I was breathing like I was back in Lamaz (sp) class. All of a sudden I was in brutal agony and felt like it needed to come up but it wasn't trying to. That must have been when it finally went through the band as it was instant relief.

I guess this is part of my learning curve but it also scares me a bit that I feel like I could use more fills down the road and if getting stuck is already this easy and painful, what would it be like with an even tighter band???

Nonetheless, my band is still my friend and I am happy for having gone through with it.

Thanks again everyone.

Strategies for stuck episodes:

1. Prevention - take tiny bites, chew very well, eat slowly, don't drink while eating, be extra cautious with foods you haven't yet eaten since your fill

2. During the episode - the only thing that ever worked for me was patience.

3. After the episode - DO NOT GO BACK TO EATING YOUR MEAL, and follow a liquid diet for 24 hours to let your esophagus and stomach calm down.

Wow, is this what I'm facing after I get Fills. My first fill is Sept 18. On mushy/puree foods.