Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cardio Vs Weigth Training

Is Cardio a better exercise to loose weigth or weight Training I usually excercise 3 times a week Run 2 miles weigth lifting for about 45 minutes PLEASE HELP

Cardio will burn the carbs you eat faster but I use stretch bands every other day to tone my arms and legs> I figure if I continue to lose I might me able to tone up loose skin right now. I also use my treadmill every other day for about 15 minutes, not too much more. I use knee braces due to possible future surgery.

Weight training actually can burn more if you are lifting heavy and doing it right.

I concentrated on cardio for quite a while then slowly worked in using the weight machines. Now I do so many free weights that I rarely do cardio, but I am also at goal and dont need the excess calorie burn.

But when doing both, do weights first then your cardio. You burn carbs first and you need those carbs for energy to lift heavy. So once you are to cardio, you are more than likely now at the fat burning stage.

And woman CAN NOT bulk up with out testerone and/or steriods. I have been body building since January and I'm toned and have leaned out, but I have not bulked!

And muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat. A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat and takes up 3 times the amount of space the same pound of muscle does.

Thanx rojasanoll

Thank you Tracy wow your the second person who tells me weight lift first then run im not @ Goal yet still have about 25 more pounds to go but been stuck for the past month and a half @ same weigth

Weight lifting is my passion and I have studied about what to do and what not to do.

You are pretty close to goal...BIG KUDDOS! If I were you I would start adding a lifting routine and then do some cardio afterwards. You are burning calories long after lifting. Go to bodybuilding.com and click on get a program or something like that. I started out by using Jamie Easons 12 weeks program. Loved it.

Change it up and you will see those pounds dropping again.

In an ideal world, you do both. But I think cardio offers health benefits away from body composition and weight loss that are harder (not impossible) to get with strength training - especially the type of strenght training that most women will commit to. But strength training offers many benefits that cardio doesnt.

For pure weight loss, if you dont particularly care about having muscles, cardio wins. It torches calories and makes you thin. It also makes you not very muscular or strong but you will be very tough and have great endurance. I'm biased because this is what I value - I love to be able to run 20kms, I dont give a rats ass about being able to bench press a certain weight. I like being thin, I dont want more muscle than what I have. But I also know my bones are quite weak, and I'm not very strong and I really COULD benefit from strength training to protect me going into old age, keep me strong, agile etc. Too much running will probably end with more hip and knee problems than I would otherwise have!

But that said - to lose weight and get thin (and I lost 120% of my excess) I ran and ran and ran. And still do. Its the reason I get to eat 1800 to 2000 a day to maintain and never ever had to limit bread, Pasta etc. I also love it, so its easy for me. And I'm not flabby or completely muscle-less, just not what you'd call a curvy. Which at 5ft 10 suits me fine - dont want to look like a footballer anyway.

At the end of the day there's no point in comparisons - both have advantages, but both build different sorts of bodies and you can go either way really - its all exercise, and both will do you loads of good.

Thank you guys for all your help

Thank guys for all your HELP

Cardio exercise is good. Proper exercise under training is good for proper weight control. But, it should be done regularly & properly. Thanks for all this help.

Hi Dino3,

The short answer is you need both. This book is GREAT and written from an agnostic view not by someone pushing an agenda or product - I highly recommend it. I think it's like $10 bucks on Amazon. (it's kind of a long title lol)

Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise (Paperback)

Alex Hutchinson

Thanks

Lee

Hi Dino3' date='

The short answer is you need both. This book is GREAT and written from an agnostic view not by someone pushing an agenda or product - I highly recommend it. I think it's like 10 bucks on Amazon. (it's kind of a long title lol)

Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise (Paperback)

Alex Hutchinson

Thanks

Lee[/quote']

Thanx for the info LJCBF

Cardio to burn the fat, weight training to build muscle and tone.

Agree with most of whats already been said. Do both. At times you may not be able to do both, so I would choose weights over cardio. More muscle equals a faster metabolism.

But it has to be done right. It should be hard work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches