Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

I know this is a topic that has been covered and then covered again. At the risk of boring long-time posters on this forum, I'm going to bring the topic up again.

I saw my younger sister for the first time in years and she awed at me over the 45 lbs that I've lost and kept off over the past 2 years. I know this is not an admirable weight loss for banders over a 2+ year period, but it's the first time I've been able to lose weight and actually keep it off. Anyway, my younger sister asked me if I would have the surgery again. I could see it in her eyes and hear it in her voice that she's considering the possibility of this surgery for herself.

I had to think about my answer. In fact, I'm still thinking about it. Would I have the surgery again?

Some days the answer is yes. Some days the answer is no.

Yes. I've lost 45 lbs and kept it off. This surgery put an end to the steady weight gain I was experiencing. My overall health has improved.

No. Some days I feel defeated that my weight loss did not continue after the first 6 months. I fooled myself into believing that band surgery would make it so that I never had to diet again. This is not true. Let me repeat this .. You will have to diet following band surgery .. for the rest of your life. It is not a magic bullet that fixes poor eating habits and poor lifestyle choices.

So my answer to my sister is yes, I would do it again but I would say that with a caveat. The band stopped my upward spiral of weight gain and my health is better for it. For that, surgery was worth it. The caveat is, if I want to lose weight after the initial weight loss, I still have to diet and exercise. To be successful, Weight Watchers or other diets are still in my future. So why not just diet and exercise without the band?

It's a personal decision. Just be honest with yourself.

even though I am in the early stage of being banded, I would say yes.

it has given me hope.

it has given me a tool to help me.

this tool has made me give a damn about myself again and want

to get better (by losing weight).

so it is a yes.

good and bad will happen but its how you react to it that serves the outcome.

I have lost over 110 pounds in less than 6 months, so yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's the best decision I've ever made for myself.

You hit on a major point- it's not a magic bullet. Too many people go into this seriously uneducated to the facts and expect the band to "fix" them. It doesn't work that way. It's a tool, not a sprinkle of magic fairy dust. You have to change your eating habits for a lifetime no matter what type of WLS surgery you decide to have.

I have lost over 110 pounds in less than 6 months' date=' so yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's the best decision I've ever made for myself.

You hit on a major point- it's not a magic bullet. Too many people go into this seriously uneducated to the facts and expect the band to "fix" them. It doesn't work that way. It's a tool, not a sprinkle of magic fairy dust. You have to change your eating habits for a lifetime no matter what type of WLS surgery you decide to have.[/quote']

Wow that's great, what was your weight before the band and how did u do it?

Yes, I would do it again.

Im down 149 lbs over the coursr of 4 years ive had a handful of complications and 60 pounds of my weightloss has been lost and gained three times due to the complications.. But im alive because of it if i still weighed 420 id probably have dropped.dead by now

So yes id do it again.. It was never ment to be a miracle weightloss only a tool and to many people forget that

Yes. Yes. Yes. Only regret is that I waited so long to explore this option.

My only regret is I did'nt do it sooner. I may not have had a stroke at 39; or been laid off from a great job. My boss is a bigot towards fat people and I KNOW I was chosed for the lay off because of my weight.

I had surgery 4 yrs ago. I had to have revision surgery when the band broke( not my fault) and the gained back most of my lost weight (130 lbs at best) and am now losing again (75 lbs). Nothing else I did made me eat little enough to lose. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I wish I had done it when I was 35 instead of 45.

The "dieting" part really doesn't bother me at all. I like eating healthy so I don't consider it a diet.

A good rule I follow is, if what I'm eating comes out of a wrapper that makes a crinkle sound I don't eat it, ie, little debbie's, Cheeto-o's, Taco Bell. I don't worry about sugars and carbs in fruit. I figure I need the Vitamins.

I'm on a plateau now and it's frustrating at times not seeing the scale move but I know I'm doing good because the clothes are getting looser and looser.

YES, this has been the best 7 months; though I have had to work to learn how to use this tool called a Lapband.

No fast food, no fruit, just a little healthy food is all you really need. I'm afraid of carbs....I try to compose my day with protein....my big splurge is a baked potato once a week.

I wish I had done it when I was 35 instead of 45.

The "dieting" part really doesn't bother me at all. I like eating healthy so I don't consider it a diet.

A good rule I follow is' date=' if what I'm eating comes out of a wrapper that makes a crinkle sound I don't eat it, ie, little debbie's, Cheeto-o's, Taco Bell. I don't worry about sugars and carbs in fruit. I figure I need the Vitamins.

I'm on a plateau now and it's frustrating at times not seeing the scale move but I know I'm doing good because the clothes are getting looser and looser.[/quote']

Okay fantastic advice about the crinkle wrapper

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and advice.

The best advice I can give, is to be honest with yourself before committing to surgery. The desperation of wanting help can overshadow reason.

Identify your eating habits before surgery. Be honest about them with yourself, your surgeon, the psychiatrist, and the nutritionist. You may need some help for your behavior in addition to the band. Or maybe you would make a better candidate for another type of surgery.

The 'after glow' of surgery and the hope for total weight loss stayed with me for about 1 year. After that, it became more will power than band power and I've struggled.

Before surgery I saw all the big weight loss numbers on these boards and was completely hopeful. What I didn't see many of were those who stop posting because they felt defeated. Their loses are lower. I am one of those and there are many more of us. We're just less vocal, maybe because we feel like we've failed at yet another attempt to lose weight.

Not to dismiss those of you who have lost a lot of weight and are still going. Awesome for you! But for those of you who are looking into this surgery, know this, there are many who do not lose a great amount of weight. In the long run, it comes back to will power and your ability to stick to yet another diet, with a little help from the band.

ok, now I'll prepare to be clobbered.