Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Those Of You Considering Surgery

Here is my story: On New Years Day 2012 I realized my worst fear of hitting 400lbs would soon happen. My weight had ballooned to 369lbs and I really didn't think I could win the battle. So I decided to look into the lap band surgery, and after weighing the pros and cons along with the good and bad reviews I decided it may be my only option at saving my life. On April 1st 2012 I had my first consult with the Weight Loss Surgery Center Springfield Missouri, which lead to my choice to move forward with the surgery. My band surgery was scheduled for May 9th 2012 in Overland Park Kansas. After my liquid diet my preband weight on May 8th was 342lbs, in the month following my surgery I've lost another 30lbs and haven't yet had my first fill. For those of you considering the surgery I'd say its no worse then gallbladder surgery, you'll hurt for 7-10 days following the surgery. Your appetite will diminish right after the operation. I've lost 52lbs of my 192lb goal and still have a lot of hard work ahead, but I believe I will get there much sooner with the band, then I would have without. I'd be the first to say I truly believe this surgery will save my life.

James Perkins

I agree 1000%. I was banded 6/5 and I feel pretty great thus far, lost 20lbs before surgery and looking forward to see how much more I'm going to lose during the after surgery liquid diet.< /p>

Hey James I'm going through WLSC in Springfield too! Just waiting for some insurance stuff to clear and I will be ready to go! Congrats on the loss so far!

Great job.I'm starting to have a new outlook on the future!It's amazing how being overweight changes us physically and mentally.

The staff at WLSC in springfield are awesome and the staff at blue valley hospital is great.The surgeon cracked me up when he told me mashed potatoes are like crack cocaine to a lap band patient

The staff at WLSC in springfield are awesome and the staff at blue valley hospital is great.The surgeon cracked me up when he told me mashed potatoes are like crack cocaine to a lap band patient

Great work on your loss so far! I too am preparing for my op for 2nd July and am on preop diet at the moment, six days and I've dropped six kilos already ( not sure what that translates to in pounds). It's hard but so going to be worth it, keep up the good work!

ok, I have to agree on the crack cocaine part, I do not do drugs and never have but I've been on a liquid diet now for 9 days and will have my surgery this next week and I cannot wait to eat mashed potatoes of all things, lol. I have not lost a lot of weight during my liquid diet because i have had to eat Protein bars, about 4 when I felt very weak and almost passed out, was not getting enough calories so the dr said for me to eat a certain Protein Bar. So far I've lost 7 lbs and I'm happy with that don't get me wrong. Only 4 more days left to drink and eat broth and Jello, never though sf Jello could taste so good. I literally used to gag at jello but now it's my go to dessert.

7lbs is awsome.I tell you what 2 days pre-op, i was missing the Protein shakes...I lost 150 lbs on the subway diet in 2003.. the diet worked,i lost it in 14 months but the diet never taught me about making the right food choices...I gained 170lbs back and honestly, i gave up on ever taking it back off.This time, i'm not only losing, i'm learning about making the right food choices.

I have a question new to the forum go to MD next week I see some people on diets prior to surgery and some not what's all that about .....plan on having band done in late September early October

Protein diet to help shrink your liver..I did a week, others have done 2 weeks, and some none at all.....I would recommend trying different types of Protein Shakes till you find one you like.

OMG it's true mashed potatoes are my go to food when eating out, and I crave them at home... don't have them but once or twice a week but when I want comfort food it is mashed potatoes , or mac and cheese true 4 oz is enough but I do not want to ever get hung up on a certain food again any body else have the mashed potatoe thing going on???????????????

Mashed potatoes = crack! Hadn't heard that one but I believe it! Congratulations on your great progress so far. My surgeon put me on Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes. They aren't bad, I mixed a scoop of chocolate and vanilla most of the time. After 2 weeks any one food gets old. I start stage 3 soft foods Monday. Can't wait.

I have a question new to the forum go to MD next week I see some people on diets prior to surgery and some not what's all that about .....plan on having band done in late September early October

There seems to be a wide disparity for pre-op dieting amongst doctors. I've seen where some doctors want their patients to lose 30-40 lbs before surgery. Some want 2-6 weeks of dieting and usually it's a low carb diet. Some want 2 weeks of liquids only. My doctor said liquids only 1 day prior to surgery. I had my surgery 4 days after Thanksgiving and ate like crazy Thurs-Sat and then liquids on Sunday, surgery Monday.

It can also be patient specific. If someone has lots of weight to lose they may require a more specific diet.

tmf

Hey james congrats on your weight loss so far! I see you live simewhere in southern mo I just moved to bolivar a month ago from kc if we could find enough people in this area id love to start a small support group it would be nice meet up with some bansters!

• I WISH WHERE I LIVED WE HAD A SUPPORT GROUP