Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc Pushing Toward Sleeve...any Thoughts?

I've been approved for the band and have a date, June 21. However, doc is saying I'm looking at about 40 lbs weight loss (that is 50% of my excessive weight). He says sleeve will give me greater weight loss. Is this band procedure really worth 40 lbs? Anyone lose more than 50% of your excess weight? Anyone have the sleeve? Love to hear your thoughts.

If the sleeve goes well, it's great. But if the sleeve goes badly, it's much, much worse than a band that's gone badly... For what it's worth I originally wanted the sleeve (badly) but after doing a lot of research, the decision came down to a numbers game...

-- The mortality rate for the sleeve is 1/200... Mortality rate for the band is 1/2000.

-- Sleeve complications are MUCH MUCH worse than band complications... 1% of the people who get the sleeve have a leak, and those who do are in agony, in and out of the hospital for up to 5-6 months at a time, and say they regret the surgery (search leak on verticalsleevetalk.com and see what that's like for them...)

-- roughly 1/3 of the people who get bypass or sleeve gain it back with no other option afterwards than to get the band on top of their cut-up stomach (i.e. carny wilson)

The sleeve seems to be a fabulous option when it works! But the risk that it could turn out to be a total disaster is also much higher. I have a 4-year old daughter and don't feel like I have the right to gamble lightly with something that might take me out... If the band works, then I'm done with only a minimally invasive surgery and no cutting up of my organs.

People do have problems with the band, and if I were one of those people I might consider the sleeve as a revision. But a lot of people are also successful with the band, and for me, it didn't make sense not to at least try it and hope it works!!!

There are plenty of people in here that have lost more than 50 lbs. There is a 100 lb club. I chose that band the same as SashaWLS.....the risk, family and down time for me. I almost had myself talked into the sleeve and so glad I went with the band. Why would your doc tell you you will only lose 40 lbs??

Hope this helped,

Tammy

I researched both and opted for the band for many of Sasha's reasons.if the band doesn't work I would consider the sleeve.but it seemed like way more risks.I felt like if the band is a problem I can gave it removed.But I can't replace 2/3 of my stomach.I have heard that u lose weight faster with the sleeve but the end result is the same .I have lost 32 lbs.since I started my preop diet 3/23 I was banded on4/6/12 at this point I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week and I'm fine with it

If I post this correctly the link below should send u to a page with a chart comparing the

surgeries.this is from true results they do both surgeries so I think this probably the most non biased assessment

http://www.trueresults.com/weight-loss-surgeries

my doc tried to push me for the bypass (my ins wouldnt cover sleeve) and because of the cutting of my stomach , i realized that once it was cut, there was no going back. it was cut forever. it scared me. granted i have a large bmi but i told this doc what i wanted. he also told me that it is only a tool to help as i am the one who makes this band w/plication successful. i think you need to get what makes you comfortable. i have been reading this forum for 3 months, and found numerous people who have lost 50 , 100, 75, 100, 150 and some over 200 pounds and still going. it is a tool. if you use it wisely/correctly, you can achieve anything.i believe that.

again, i chose the band because it is less evasive and it can be removed if any problems ever came about.

wishing you all the best.

When surgeons quote 50% as the expected weight loss with the band, that's an average. The average is based on people who lost 100+% of their excess weight, and people who lost none. So it's entirely possible for you to lose 100% of your excess weight with the band. I did.

When you cut out parts of your anatomy, there is some of the work being done "for you." the band will help you lose 50% to 60% of the excess weight without doing anything other than limiting position sizes. to get to goal you need to exercise and make good food choices. It's a tool. So the band will get you there if you work at it, and will prevent you from regaining he weight by over-eating.

A family member of mine had gastric bypass and lost 130 lbs in 6 months, felt like crap, looks worse, is weak, and has deadly gas all day. Not fun.

Wow. My doc too said the same exact thing. I was told I don't have 'a lot' (67lbs) of weight to lose like the majority of his patients (100+) and would I be happy with 40lbs? Well of course my answer was no. I wanna lose the 70. Not 40. But he also said it was up to me, And I can make the Band work for me. He's giving me the tool, and all the directions and info I need. So I'm sticking with the band. The sleeve too, was just too drastic. A little info though, which worked for me - I downloaded the app for the sleeve that's just like this one, and got to see & read everyones first hand experiences and realized it wasn't for me. :) good luck. My Surg us scheduled for aug 15th.

A few links to threads about leaks and complications on the Verticalsleevetalk.com site:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/34229-folks-who-have-had-complications/page__hl__regret

"Well my wife cousin is in ICU right now, I don't know if you want to put her in the list, she's not is this forum yet, I hope she can in the future. She had a leak, a second surgery , she is 1.5 month out and she is in the ICU on a induced coma for the last 2 weeks, she has lung infection and is breathing with the help of a machine via a tracheostomy."

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/29403-i-definitely-regret-surgery-so-far/

Follows the journey of "jasleeve"

Surgery Dec 20th, this post Feb 4 -- "i wouldnt wish this on anyone. i feel so sick. & i know my friends are tired of hearing me complain about it so i try & stay to myself but damn!!!! i dont know how much more i can take. they say ill get better but im getting worse!!!! & they said the stent has to stay for 4-6weeks. i thought i was already 2 weeks in! im not. im only 1week & 2days in! this is TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has even crossed my mind to switch to bypass to just get past this part! i cant deal with this feeling!"

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/31724-angry-depressed-have-leak-stent-and-pick-line/page__p__276129__hl__+jasleeve%20+doctor__fromsearch__1#entry276129

"I had the sleeve surgery Jan. 30th, 2012. Went home fine from the hospital the next day - feeling great. Six days later, I am sitting on the couch and experience extreme left shoulder pain and left abdominal pain. I drive myself to the hospital and I have a leak. They did surgery that night to suture the site but the surgery failed. On Feb. 14th, I had a stent put in. I spent 10 days in the hospital. Now I have a pick line in my arm and I have TPN bag that I use on a 14 hour basis (7pm-9am). This is so scary to me. I am depressed, crying. I have to have the stent in for 8 weeks - hopefully it will close the leak. Has ANYONE had this happen? What was the result? While on the pick line I am having extreme heartburn. The doctor said if the stent doesnt work then I will need a 4th major surgery? I am praying it doesnt get to that point? Has anyone gone thru this? Provide advice? I am alone here and very scared. I wonder if I will ever get back to normal. Is their light at the end of tunnel?"

Ask him if he does banded plication... He sutures the stomach to the size of the sleeve and puts the band in too... Reduces the risk of the band slipping, you lose in the beginning like a sleeve patient but have the band for long term maintenance and plateaus... Studies are showing the same weight loss with this procedure as with bypass... The best of both worlds!! Good luck!

Wow, you guys! You are soooooo helpful. This is such good reading for me. I was very down, feeling defeated even before surgery and absolutely perplexed after I walked out of that appointment. Your posts have really encouraged and Enlightened me. I have done all the reading about the risks from medical websites, but hearing if from real patients and potential patients just means so much more. Thank you, and I welcome even more replies. I hope this is good reading for others facing the same choice.

I have already lost 50 lbs, with 100 or so to go! But I am sure I am going to be a success and lose all of my weight, because I'm motivated and this is going to work for me.

congrats just do it on ur 50 pounds. that is wonderful :)

I have 4 kids at home. If I do.nothing then I will eat myself into heart troubles and other illness. I did this cause of the low risk and the down time. I told the nurse the reason I want the band instead of the sleeve. I do not want to die during surgery. I do not need to loose 40 lbs in a month. Slow weight loss is cool.

I got the band but some Drs offer lapband with Plication. I wish I had gotten that WLS. But I am cool.

I am opting for the band with plication. The plication acts as a sleeve with the security of the band. It is still a new procedure but many I have talked to love it! It may be an alternative.