Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux Is Killing Me

I have been having horrible acid reflux. I've tried not going to bed until 2-3 hours after I've eaten. I also take Nexium before I go to bed. I still have an issue with it. It's horrible. Like last night I slept fine until around 4:00 am. Then all of a sudden a watery substance kept coming up. It went on for a couple of hours. It's so gross! Does anyone else have reflux they cannot get rid of? I am getting worried about it.

Thanks!

I did not have any acid reflux problems until AFTER I got the band ... I believe (for me) it came from eating like I did before the band - quantity.

If I stop eating when I get the tony signal from my bad to stop, I dont get reflux. If I keep eating and try to finish my plate, I get reflux. If I overeat, I get SEVERE reflux and it feels horrible.

Your issue could be eating too much, OR it could be that your band is too tight. If you take 1-2 small well-chewed bites, and youre still having reflux, then your band might be too tight. I would suggest a small unfill, or eat less if that quantity of food is the problem.

are you too tight? you may need an unfill?

It sounds to me like you are too tight. I have never had acid reflux since being banded.

I am 4 years in and have been struggling with acid reflux and irritation from reflux for 3.5 years. I have taken antacids in tablet and now by necking gaviscon from 500ml bottles. I stop eating solids and revert to liquids when it is at its fiercest, I have taken prescribed drugs to reduce acid production but it rarely goes away for more than a day or so. I have had my band fill reduced but to no avail. I eat small, I eat sensibly and I still get this before during and after meals, when I am due a meal and most annoyingly at night (normally 3am) and heaven forbid I get a cold or fever as the band closes even tighter - all this at 1.5ml

I have decided to have the band emptied and just be nice to my poor body for a while. It was never meant to be like this and my consultant seems to think it is my fault! I suspect that many consultants are still learning about some of the stranger side effects of this contraption hence the exceedingly unhelpful comments. At the end of the day this irritation or whatever it is is dragging me down and I really cannot take another week of this discomfort.

I would love to know if others have experienced this and what they did to relieve the symptons please?

I have horrible reflux as well. I was not too tight. My Dr ordered an EGD. A hiatal hernia was discovered under scope. Next week I go in for surgery to repair the hiatal hernia and reposition the band. I hope it will alleviate the reflux.

I had an EGD done around 2 months post -op back in 2008. I had a hiatal hernia at that time but was never told! I didn't discover this until my new gastroenterologist saw it on my old test results. I am not happy that I have suffered with this for almost 4 years! I hope this will finally give me relief and get me fully back on track. I have had a few complications along the way and am ready for some calmer winds and smoother sailing.

I would talk to your Dr... tell him what you are experiencing. I would try backing out some fill level first to see if maybe you are too tight? Good luck!

I feel you need some Fluid taken out, but I am no doctor. I had the same problems with reflux and I had a slipped band. It sounds to me you are too tight.

Do yourself a favor and go under floroscope. Same thing happened to me, and it continued. Because of the vomiting liquid that turned into vomiting acid, my band slipped, and I just had a new band placed on Friday. Also - the nexium 40mg twice a day did nothing for me... see if you can get Dexilant 60mg. Like night and day. Don't wait on this - the pain, expense and recovery time are not worth it!

Thank you all for your suggestions! And Den sorry for jumping on the end of your original post but thought it was better to keep this thread 'together'. Den did you manage to resolve this?

I am off to see the consultant on the 30th and will report back with his comments!

ps I did have a barium x-ray a year or so ago and my band appeared fine - although the port has flipped to a funny angle.

hey ho!

Thanks to you all

xxxx

I, also, had GERD and acid reflux when I had a slipped band. See you surgoen, it sound slike that is what is happening to you! Only the surgoen can tell you, you need a barium x-ray. Good luck, Karen

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have a call into the doctors office about the acid reflux. I think they should do a test to see if my band slipped. I have tried not eating dinner or at night, taking my nexium and then going to bed and I still have acid reflux.

I don't think my band is too tight. I don't have alot of issues with eating. I had liquid taken out about 2 months ago and they just put a small amount back in a few weeks ago.

I'll post back after I hear from the office. I'm getting worried about all this acid because my chest hurts today and I read on the Internet that this can cause cancer. Damn research on the Internet! LOL

Ok, I heard back. I have to go tomorrow to have fill taken out. I guess I can't get fills anymore. The last few had to be taken out. Ugh! I'm afraid of myself if I do this though. I can't control myself. If I could, I wouldn't have gotten the lap band. I'm depressed now. Time to go back to the old fashioned way now. On the bright side I don't have 75 pounds on my ass weighing me down when I exercise. Yeah!

Ok, I heard back. I have to go tomorrow to have fill taken out. I guess I can't get fills anymore. The last few had to be taken out. Ugh! I'm afraid of myself if I do this though. I can't control myself. If I could, I wouldn't have gotten the lap band. I'm depressed now. Time to go back to the old fashioned way now. On the bright side I don't have 75 pounds on my ass weighing me down when I exercise. Yeah!

So what is your long terms prognosis from your doctors. Seems the unfill is the short-term solution and not the long term solution you are looking for.

Thoughts?

congrats on the 75lbs! That's awesome

I already have acid reflux bad! Hoping the band only helps. I wish you luck

I don't know. I'm going to ask when I go today at 4:15. I had to call out sick from work today. I was up all night. I'm thinking dehydration is setting in too because I have a massive headache today and everything hurts. I'm stuck to the couch trying to sleep.< /p>