Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I was banded in Nov 08 lost 120 lbs yea!! Anyway went to the Dr the other day with my 19 yr old son who was interested in banding when the Dr told us that he wldnt suggest the band cuz they are finding out now that the risk for band erosion is higher than originally thought. My mouth dropped to the ground has anyone else heard this?

Oh my, and i'm thinking of having this done! what state are u in, and is that doctor reliable?

No... Don't scare me!! Lol

I chose the band cause it was the least invasive/safest/reversible procedure...

Did he mention causes or reasons for more common erosions?

@ Crosby he's reliable he actually did my surgery he said when I had mine done in 2008 in Chicago the lapband was what was being done because it had less risk but from what I understand the risk is 1/3 of ppl end up w band erosion kinda high if u ask me.

@ Jenny carbonation is one thing that causes it at least that's what I have heard I'm not sure tho I googled it. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard this cuz my Dr also said if this were to happen I wld have to get gastric bypass cuz the sleeve wldnt even work

I asked my doctor that very question the other day at my year appt and he said that there is a very slim chance for errosion. More chance of a slip than errosion. There is currently no stats that back up that claim of errosions. I wonder why he wouldnt even consider the sleeve. I would get a second opinion for your son if he is really wanting to do it.

I have a friend who recommended the band to me and she just had hers redone after 6 years. She was an AVID diet coke drinker. 2ltrs a day! My doctor (who is her doctor too) says NO CARBONATION!!!! So buyer beware. This isn't an issue for me as I don't drink soda but remember their are other drinks that are carbonated..... Champagne, Beer and the flavored Water drinks like the Sam's choice. Thank god Crystal light isn't carbonated or I would be in trouble! She was so afraid she wouldn't be able to get a new band. She has given up soda now because the band and keeping the 85lbs she lost off is more important to her than a soda. Did he give any other reasons or causes? I would wonder does stomach acid affect it?

Hope this helps someone :)

I think acid might affect it if you throw up alot and get acid reflux alot due to pb'ing and such. That is why you have to always be aware of your band and take care of it. I cut out all carbination two weeks before my surgery. I havent had any in over a year. I really would like to try a beer, but I really dont want to risk it.

Connie, that's what I am doing. I haven't drank a soda in a long time( 6 months or more now). I love my margaritas but I found the crystal light Margarita's so I have that fix covered. Soda gives me the burps anyways. Thanks for the suggestions. I really want to take good care of my band when I get it. I hope its with me a long time!

Connie, that's what I am doing. I haven't drank a soda in a long time( 6 months or more now). I love my margaritas but I found the crystal light Margarita's so I have that fix covered. Soda gives me the burps anyways. Thanks for the suggestions. I really want to take good care of my band when I get it. I hope its with me a long time!

Crystal Lite margarita's????? Where are these at???? I neeed some of those.... Tell me tell meeee!!! LOL

My doctor said the other day that I should just start to enjoy my weight loss and just forget I have the band now. I was like... How is that possible. I need to concentrate on it alot thru the day. I need to remember that I have it so that I dont abuse it. I was a little tight for awhile, but I milked that and didnt try to abuse it and didnt get to the point that I had reflux or anything. I want to make sure that I have it for awhile because I depend on it alot. My main problem when I was bigger was that I was addicted to fast food. I think I would go back to that if not for the band. I sometimes crave a hamburger and fries!!! :blink: So I think it will be awhile before I can get the band out of my head on a daily basis.

Connie' date=' that's what I am doing. I haven't drank a soda in a long time( 6 months or more now). I love my margaritas but I found the crystal light Margarita's so I have that fix covered. Soda gives me the burps anyways. Thanks for the suggestions. I really want to take good care of my band when I get it. I hope its with me a long time![/quote']

What is your crystal light margarita.....I really like margaritas but have not found a low cal substitute for lime juice......

Crystal Lite margarita's????? Where are these at???? I neeed some of those.... Tell me tell meeee!!! LOL

My doctor said the other day that I should just start to enjoy my weight loss and just forget I have the band now. I was like... How is that possible. I need to concentrate on it alot thru the day. I need to remember that I have it so that I dont abuse it. I was a little tight for awhile' date=' but I milked that and didnt try to abuse it and didnt get to the point that I had reflux or anything. I want to make sure that I have it for awhile because I depend on it alot. My main problem when I was bigger was that I was addicted to fast food. I think I would go back to that if not for the band. I sometimes crave a hamburger and fries!!! :blink: So I think it will be awhile before I can get the band out of my head on a daily basis.[/quote']

I googled it.....it is about 5 dollars and looks like you can only get them on line....I think I am going to try it....now if only I could find diet sweet red wine...:) lol

Ok well this is what I found

This is the same statistics I have read. 2-9% isn't high at all, in fact it's a very small percentage. Especially when you take into consideration those with erosion due to their own poor choices.

Those are the stats I found also which is not very high. And what I found on causes is that alot of it is self induced. Filling your band to much and vomiting to much which makes your your stomach to acidy. So, if you treat your band how your suppose to, your chances are less. I woud still get it with 10% chances...