Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got back from my two week followup and had a great discussion with my dr about hunger or the lack of it. For my 10 day preop diet, I had to do a low carb liver shrink diet. It wasn't terrible and I was still getting to eat. The first couple of days, I had a little bit of the sugar/ carb withdrawal but nothing major. Since the surgery, I stuck strictly to the liquid diet. In fact, I didn't even add in cream Soups until yesterday. I have read so much and heard from so many who kept telling me that I would be ready to gnaw my own arm off by the end of the liquids. For me, this just wasn't true. Yes, my stomach will rumble and grumble, but I have to ask myself , is it that I am hungry or just that I have been programmed in my mind to associate stomach noise with hunger. I have spent this time really evaluating myself in regards to this. Most often, it is all in my mind. I am really not hungry. Thinking back over the years, if I had heard or felt my tummy rumble, that would mean an automatic reaching for a snack or meal. I have realized now that sometimes I simply need a sip or two of Water and the noise will stop. Somewhere along the way, I screwed my mind up, along with "finish all of your plate", " I paid for it, so by golly, I will eat every bite", and "supersized portions because you get more for your money".

Yes, I still love to watch food Network and I may see something in a commercial ( I am of the opinion there are WAY too many food commercials!) that looks great, but I have to be brutally honest with myself and decide, is it because I am hungry or have the advertisers done such a good job that I can be convinced that I am hungry?

Sorry for such a long post, but reading so many other newbie postings about the amount of hunger they are experiencing, I wanted to throw it out there that everyone is different and there are some of us that are not having the hunger pains.For someone thinking of having lapband, I know that reading some posts would make it seem as if everyone must go through a terrible , unbearable time which isn't always the case. My husband didn't have any issues with this either. Our Dr. really believes in adhering to the preop diet to get your mind ready. I really believe that it makes a difference in handling the two weeks of liquids.< /p>

As I told my Dr., I keep waiting for the bad time to hit, and I may be singing a different tune next week, but so far...it is a matter of my mind versus my body. I hope to continue to win this battle! :D :ph34r: :D

I just got back from my two week followup and had a great discussion with my dr about hunger or the lack of it. For my 10 day preop diet, I had to do a low carb liver shrink diet. It wasn't terrible and I was still getting to eat. The first couple of days, I had a little bit of the sugar/ carb withdrawal but nothing major. Since the surgery, I stuck strictly to the liquid diet. In fact, I didn't even add in cream Soups until yesterday. I have read so much and heard from so many who kept telling me that I would be ready to gnaw my own arm off by the end of the liquids. For me, this just wasn't true. Yes, my stomach will rumble and grumble, but I have to ask myself , is it that I am hungry or just that I have been programmed in my mind to associate stomach noise with hunger. I have spent this time really evaluating myself in regards to this. Most often, it is all in my mind. I am really not hungry. Thinking back over the years, if I had heard or felt my tummy rumble, that would mean an automatic reaching for a snack or meal. I have realized now that sometimes I simply need a sip or two of Water and the noise will stop. Somewhere along the way, I screwed my mind up, along with "finish all of your plate", " I paid for it, so by golly, I will eat every bite", and "supersized portions because you get more for your money".

Yes, I still love to watch food Network and I may see something in a commercial ( I am of the opinion there are WAY too many food commercials!) that looks great, but I have to be brutally honest with myself and decide, is it because I am hungry or have the advertisers done such a good job that I can be convinced that I am hungry?

Sorry for such a long post, but reading so many other newbie postings about the amount of hunger they are experiencing, I wanted to throw it out there that everyone is different and there are some of us that are not having the hunger pains.For someone thinking of having lapband, I know that reading some posts would make it seem as if everyone must go through a terrible , unbearable time which isn't always the case. My husband didn't have any issues with this either. Our Dr. really believes in adhering to the preop diet to get your mind ready. I really believe that it makes a difference in handling the two weeks of liquids.

As I told my Dr., I keep waiting for the bad time to hit, and I may be singing a different tune next week, but so far...it is a matter of my mind versus my body. I hope to continue to win this battle! :D :ph34r: :D

its great that you handled your pre op diet so well, and i think that you are so right, it does help you and strengthen you for what comes after. for example, ive not had any pre op diet and the afterwoods wasnt easy. im just over a week post op. But, having said that ,each day brings its rewards and more discipline, and my stomach seems to be adjusting really well. i still get hungry but i was a big eater before.

its a strange co incidence, but ive seen so many shows, which just happen to be on my favorite t.v. programs this last week about severely obese people and how they have had to cope, plus how they have tried to change their lives and their eating habits. very interesting viewing and its strengthened my resolve that ive definately done the right thing. cheers

judych- I totally agree! I am a grazer... For example, I teach and often there are dinners and celebrations which means everyone in the building brings one or two of their best dishes.That is tough enough, but since my room is larger and I don't always have kids in it, guess where all 50+ plus dishes go?.....My room. LOL!! So I would graze and taste everything throughout the day. I guess I was the official "taste tester'.

I had this same habit at home. Once I was home, I snacked all of the way to bedtime. I am having to reprogram my mind!

judych- I totally agree! I am a grazer... For example, I teach and often there are dinners and celebrations which means everyone in the building brings one or two of their best dishes.That is tough enough, but since my room is larger and I don't always have kids in it, guess where all 50+ plus dishes go?.....My room. LOL!! So I would graze and taste everything throughout the day. I guess I was the official "taste tester'.

I had this same habit at home. Once I was home, I snacked all of the way to bedtime. I am having to reprogram my mind!

oh dear... lol. what a mountain of temptation.. lol. i wouldnt be able to help myself either. do you have a sweet tooth as well??

i think theres no doubt that its the mind thats the battle ground. That and the emotions. So much so that if anyone found their band wasnt working that it would be really important to seek some help for mental and emotional issues. that would certainly make a world of difference to the outcome...and, after going through all that preparation and surgery, its very important in some cases.

im hoping and praying that my emotional leanings and my mental state are able to adjust and change as i go through all this. I really do think now that some people do need extra help with shedding the bad habits and negative mind sets that accompany overeating. i know how many ive chalked up since food became my problem.

In my opinion if the band isnt working... seek help from a professional. Dont give up on it. There is victory.

The first week of my pre-op diet was hard but I got over it. However, I will never and I mean NEVER eat Jello again!! By the time the surgery date came, I really didn't have that feeling of starvation. It really did pass as the time went by.

I'm about 13 months out and I listen to my body a lot more than I ever did before. I still have food issues, I still have the desire to graze after dinner but for the most part, I eat when my stomach gets growly. Now, if I've had my Protein Shake at 9 and I'm planning lunch at 12:30 or so and I get a growl in between, I can drink some tea, Water and crystal light and it goes away. I have noticed though that I'll wake up before my alarm goes off and my stomach is growling. That never happened before the band because I ate up til the time I went to bed so my stomach never really got empty!

Head hunger is a whole different demon. I still struggle with that in the evenings as old habits die hard. It's a daily struggle but so much easier to control with the band. Sometime I literally have to have an out-loud converation with myself when I head to the kitchen after dinner when I know good and well I'm not hungry!

oh dear... lol. what a mountain of temptation.. lol. i wouldnt be able to help myself either. do you have a sweet tooth as well??

If you had asked me a month or two ago, if I had a sweet tooth, I would have said yes!! However, I have noticed that since the preop diet, I haven't had any "cravings" for sweets like before. Before, I could think about a sweet and just have to go get it. I even noticed that when I went out to eat with the family this week, one child ate ice cream and the other ate a piece of cheesecake, I didn't even desire them. Talk about a shock because these are two of my FAVORITE desserts! Having said that, for my Protein shakes on the liquid diet, I did choose the chocolate flavor and now that I am on mushies, my yogurt is key lime pie flavor. So I guess I am getting my sweet fix flavor without the calories of the real thing.

If you had asked me a month or two ago, if I had a sweet tooth, I would have said yes!! However, I have noticed that since the preop diet, I haven't had any "cravings" for sweets like before. Before, I could think about a sweet and just have to go get it. I even noticed that when I went out to eat with the family this week, one child ate ice cream and the other ate a piece of cheesecake, I didn't even desire them. Talk about a shock because these are two of my FAVORITE desserts! Having said that, for my Protein Shakes on the liquid diet, I did choose the chocolate flavor and now that I am on mushies, my yogurt is key lime pie flavor. So I guess I am getting my sweet fix flavor without the calories of the real thing.

isnt is marvellous how you change??and its great. i reckon you are pleased. ive got choc flavor Protein, and i always have greek yoghurt ,decaf coffee and skim milk in it as well. thats plenty sweet enough for me.

i guess ive always been lucky though, ive never had a sweet tooth. weve had all sorts of sweet goodies on the table and ive not been interested . i crave more flavour with my Soups. im using some mod salsa, garlic powder, lemon juice, things like that . this is what i crave more. im hoping that i can have these things when im on solids. i used to have hot chilli everyday but not sure now about all that.